TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Music, Music, Music

Wes

^ Wish I could like Sum past their famous songs, but I struggle to grasp them!

I always love finding 'new' bands to like. Turns out Foster the People is ten times better than Pumped Up Kicks makes them out to be! Notably.. Life On the Nickel.

Fat Lip, Underclass Hero, In Too Deep, I'm a fan of the Hell Song, mainly because of the video! Past that I enjoy most of their songs, but they've yet to leave a lasting impression, and I don't really know any by name. Great band, I just haven't gotten really 'into them.'

I like all of Sum 41's CD's up until Screaming Bloody Murder. They used to be one of my favorite bands, but that CD is such a departure from their other CD's but so was Chuck. Chuck was really interesting and intense whereas this CD just leaves me scratching my head and asking what happened!

I am not really a fan of Chuck. There is really only one standout song from that album, Pieces. Screaming Bloody Murder is the same, one standout song in Screaming Bloody Murder. While All Killer No Filler, Does This Look Infected?, and Underclass Hero had a multiple standout songs in them.

Not to change the subject or anything, but I went record shopping today, and found this gem straight from the 80's in the bargain bin at FYE.

After The Fire - ATF

Surprisingly, it's pretty good. They only had one hit in the US, which was an English cover of "Der Kommissar." Give it a listen, you might love it (or, depending on your age, it might give you a weird flashback).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdhUwVjQzRk

^ Highly familiar! Discovery's my favorite of their's for sure. The movie that goes along with it, Interstella 5555, is animated gold as well! If you haven't seen the film, I recommend finding it! Basically the album plays in the background, but you get visual accompaniment to it. Pretty much the director's vision of the 'story' behind the album.

Daft Punk is fantastic. They basicaly redefined popular electronic music in their prime. As for a favorite album, I really like Discovery, but Homework is just as good. Not as universally acclaimed, but it did produce singles like "Around The World" and "Burnin", two of my favorite DP songs. (Sounds awesome on vinyl, too!)

Daft Punk is fantastic. They basicaly redefined popular electronic music in their prime. As for a favorite album, I really like Discovery, but Homework is just as good. Not as universally acclaimed, but it did produce singles like "Around The World" and "Burnin", two of my favorite DP songs. (Sounds awesome on vinyl, too!)

QFT

On another Daft Punk-related note, their currently working on their yet-to-be-titled 4th Studio Album and are working with Nile Rodgers of Chic fame and legendary Italo-Disco producer Giorgio Moroder. I hope they're bringing the slick funk back that they had on both "Discovery" and "Homework", both are in my top 10 albums of all time.

I also adore DP and can't wait to hear their work with Nile. Rodgers is an icon in his own right, and has worked with too many artists to name, but a few of my favorites include Madonna, David Bowie, Grace Jones, and The B-52's. Can't wait to hear what he and DP come up with!

• 2 weeks later...

I maintain that DP are one of the more overrated bands of the last 20 years. Don't get me wrong, the first five or so tracks off of Discovery are amazing and create great feeling - likewise with a select few from Homework but outside of that it's fairly generic French house music without much innovation or variation. Much prefer Air tbh if we're going down that genre/era.

^ Yeah but Air have lost the plot a bit too lately. Their last truly great album imo was Talkie Walkie, although all the subsequent albums have had some great tracks. I saw them in Chicago after Love 2 came out and they were great! I even got to meet JB after the show and have him sign my Sexy Boy single. He was really cool (and cute!)

I maintain that DP are one of the more overrated bands of the last 20 years. Don't get me wrong, the first five or so tracks off of Discovery are amazing and create great feeling - likewise with a select few from Homework but outside of that it's fairly generic French house music without much innovation or variation. Much prefer Air tbh if we're going down that genre/era.

I don't think they are overrated, I didn't even hear about them until I heard One More time on the radio from a Saturday night live DJ show. I like Daft Punk but mainly their remixed songs like their album Alive 2007 and Stronger by Kanye West (mainly for the beat). I personal like Deadmau5, some of Tiesto's songs, and other well know DJ's music but I'm definitely looking forward to Daft Punks new album and the new Deadmau5 album too. So does anyone else like the Beastie Boys?

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have any recommendations for newer punk bands? Don't get me wrong, I love the old stuff...just trying to bring in some variety.
I don't listen to a lot of straight up punk... in fact for the most part I listen to variants of punk, but this may help you out...

If your at all into ska punk Streetlight Manifesto is an absolutely amazing band. I am a huge fan of the Potato Pirates and The Havenots... again a little on the ska side(no horn here though) but both bands are totally awesome including the Havenots album(Brave) being an editor of Dying Scenes top albums of the year. Another band that possibly is here is Bomb the Music Industry(who recently broke up but also provide free downloads to all of their albums besides splits) is a DYI band with hints of synth, ska and hardcore... but they are punk.

Folk will bring Larry and His Flask, in my opinion the best live band... period. What these guys do is play an entirely acoustic punk song which combines a hige variety of instruments from everything to the stand up bass, trombones, banjos, and acoustic guitars. They also were voted as the best live band at warped tour 2011. Frank Turner is also totally awesome.

For "traditional" punk rock Joyce Manor is totally amazing and very new to the scene even though I am not 100% sure you would call them straight punk... bit it isn't quite pop punk. In terms of hardcore my favorite band right now is probably Such Gold or Title Fight... both bands are totally amazing. I also recommend the Story so Far who are for the most part a pop punk band but they have some brilliant sounds there and are probably the best pop punk in my opinion... along with maybe The Swellers.

EDIT: I am a huge supporter of independent bands that are not likely to get big because they either aren't playing what people are into or whatever other reason there may be. As we all know the radio plays a VERY small amount of artists in proportion the the millions of bands out there... and (rock) bands themselves are even beginning to fade into obscurity(a bit of an exaggeration but my honest opinion) as hipster indie, dubstep, and other popular music fill it's place in radio stations.

THIS CANNOT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Therefore as a supporter of these bands and a spreader of the spirit of giving away free music(or as I call it the spirit of punk rock) I will randomly post band camps(which bands use as pages for streaming music) or whatever other free(LEGAL!!!) streaming services bands use to this thread. Everything I post will be 100% free(and legal( at the time of the posting and will possibly(likely) be free forever. I will try to spread genres a bit but my primary likes are punk and ska with possibly a bit of alternative or even metal thrown in for good taste.

If you took the time to read this post support local music and (but not or) if you know of a band that offers free music online this would be a cool place to put it.

TONIGHT'S CHOICE IS: Joyce Manor!

Album:Of All Things I will soon grow tired

Genre: Pop punk/indie/punk

ALBUM STREAM(completely legal... I SWEAR)-----> http://www.punknews.org/bands/joycemanor

• 3 weeks later...

Lana Del Rey announced her new re-release/EP two days ago. Born To Die: The Paradise Edition. Comes out on November 12th.

Tracklist:

1. Ride

2. Cola

3. American

4. Gods & Monsters

5. Body Electric

6. Blue Velvet

7. Bel Air

8. Yayo

9. Burning Desire (iTunes Bonus)

Preview all the new songs in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpJUm5C07_0

Lead Single "Ride:

I have started taking a liking to some more pop rock-ish music, like "Drive" by Incubus and "Lonely No More" by Rob Thomas. I also still am a huge fan of a couple epic pop songs: "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley and "Livin' La Vida Loca" by Ricky Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

I just listened to Tame Impala's new album "Lonerism" all the way through today, and it's, without a doubt in my mind, my favorite release of 2012. If you've never heard of the band, they refer to themselves as "a steady flowing psychedelic groove rock band that emphasizes dream-like melody." Definitely worth checking out, if you're into that kind of stuff.

I have to say I'm not a big blues fan, I really only like a few blues artists, but Joe Bonamassa is freaking amazing. He's a world class guitarist and has a really good voice, and his drummer is also exceptionally good. The best part about him is that he can do a wide variety of sounds. Some songs are slow, straight up blues songs, some of his songs are more blues-rock, some are just straight up rock, and he can even do a little bit of country rock. I can honestly say that even though I mostly like hard rock, Joe Bonamassa is one of my all-time favorite musicians. He's one of the very very few people who sounds BETTER live than in the studio. Anyone who is interested in blues rock or blues in the slightest bit, I highly recommend checking him out. He's an incredibly talented musician and you don't find a lot of artists these days with actual talent.

Just started listening to Pink's new album The Truth About Love and cant stop listening to it hah

As a fan of fun. I especially enjoyed the song "Just Give Me A Reason" featuring Nate Ruess. That needs to be released as a single. Now.

YES! That song should be a single. The second single, Try, just dropped this week. The video is really pretty for the song.