TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Music, Music, Music

Wes

Just organized my tickets for upcoming shows and I have tickets nine shows between late-August to late-October. Super stoked, even if there is cheesy, outdated stuff on the list like Deadmau5 and Blink.

-Deadmau5+Excision

-Cyberoptics+Reid Speed

-FYF Fest (Olivia Tremor Control!!+No Age+ much more)

-Givers

-Panda Bear, TV on the Radio, Artic Monkeys, and more

-Blink 182 (bleh.)

-Star Slinger

-PORTISHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!

-Gaelic Storm

I think I'll get a ticket to see Toro y Moi in September. It's pretty cheap, and Toro is fantastic.

Nice! I caught Toro last year opening for Nosaj Thing and actually bumped into Chaz (lead singer) before the show. We chatted for about five minutes and then he bounced to the backstage area. He was really a down to earth guy and his set killed. Saw him again outside the venue after Nosaj ended and shook his hand

I'm a bigtime dubstep guy, got over 450 dubstep and DnB songs on my ipod right now. Liquid Stranger and Downlink are the best, Excision and Diesel are very good as well. Excision's Shambhala 2010 and LS's Mechanoid Mixdown 2010 are my two favorite Mega Mixes. Cant wait for Shambhala 2011 in a few weeks.

Dont say Skrillex dude. That's not dubstep. Its a bunch of random noises thrown together to make....whatever the heck it is. Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites is as close as he gets to dubstep. Its more drumstep to be honest. Hard to believe the former lead singer of From First to Last took that path.

So any of you like dubstep? I'm listening to the Mt Eden Dubstep remix of Still Alive.

I really don't care for dubstep. Never have, never will. I really only listen to stuff that's NOT 95% made by computers. I have taken a liking to bands like Red, Rise Against, and Disciple recently. I also think I am the only person under 30 who listens to 80's hair bands like Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Skid Row, and other bands of that nature. My favorite band is still Skillet though.

I have taken a liking to bands like Red, Rise Against, and Disciple recently. My favorite band is still Skillet though.

I'm a fan of all four. Especially live, they all put on great shows.

I never got into dubstep, but that was in part because my introduction to dubstep was several friends of mine "discovering the awesomeness of SKRILLEX" on Facebook and linking to that bombastic "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" song. Since then I've discovered some other stuff that's not bad. Typically I'm drawn to the more melodic variations of the genre instead of the stuff that's almost exclusively Transformer diarrhea. I'm not knowledgeable enough know who I'm "supposed" to like and who it's cool to hate, but Mt. Eden's "Sierra Leone" was the song that made me give the genre a second chance. Much better than stuff that samples from cup stacking celebrations...And I know DnB is separate from dubstep, but I think my increasing fascination with Pendulum is worth mentioning. They're just too fun.

I'm a rock guy when it comes down to it, though. I generally like words with my music, as the stories or messages in the lyrics are often just as important to me as the tune itself, if not moreso (Bob Dylan...). I suppose I like too many mainstream bands to actually "know" anything about music, according to some "musically superior" individuals I know. But considering I rarely listen to the radio to find out which acts are indeed mainstream at the moment, I don't feel too guilty about it. Skillet, A Day to Remember, Paper Tongues, Ben Folds, and Muse are big for me at the moment. And lots of stuff from the seventies. Goodness, the seventies had fantastic music.

I don't like how overused and generic the overall majority of Dubstep has become. The only dubstep I can listen to anymore is Big Chocolate. It's heavy, it's melodic, and most importantly, it's different. I honestly prefer to stick to my time tested techno with some of the true geniuses like Benassi who've made tracks that no dubstep can come close to.

I'm also into some DnB, Drum and Bass...and I must give major props to Pendulum for being the best in the buisness. They are not just a single guy who sits in a room playing with his computers to create DnB, they are a full fledged band complete with real drums, real bass, real synth and real guitar. Their music is so melodic, so incredibly fun to listen to. My all time favorite in the DnB industry is Pendulum......easily.

I mean, I've never really seen too much of a correlation between Beirut and AF. Beirut is more like Devotchka if they're close to any band due to their Eastern European sound, although this new album is a little more pop-y than their last ones. It really is quite amazing, though, and luckily, I get to see them in 2 months!

This is a band I just found called Grim Luck... and they play some AWESOME ska punk! http://grimluck.bandcamp.com/ Not a plug or anything since I am in no way affiliated with this band... just a supporter of indie music. Anyway, they put an entire album here for free... this is a direct link to their page so it's 100% legal... just have a listen if ska is you're thing... this is good stuff IMO! Kinda reminds me of Streetlight Manifesto!

This is a band I just found called Grim Luck... and they play some AWESOME ska punk! http://grimluck.bandcamp.com/ Not a plug or anything since I am in no way affiliated with this band... just a supporter of indie music. Anyway, they put an entire album here for free... this is a direct link to their page so it's 100% legal... just have a listen if ska is you're thing... this is good stuff IMO! Kinda reminds me of Streetlight Manifesto!

I love Ska and Punk, Streetlight is my all-time favorite band and Reel Big Fish, Catch 22, and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones are pretty good too.