TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Annoying stuff that happens in theme parks- The List

^^I have to admit I definitely have my moments where I feel like an entitled enthusiast. I feel like almost every enthusiast has to have had at least 1 moment like that though especially if they hear a dumb comment or see people acting like assholes. Do I go as far as to think I shouldn't have to wait in line because of that? Of course not unless I have a flash pass .

I look at it as a comparison to sports. I'm a pretty big sports fan and if I'm in a good seat with somebody next to me who has no idea what's going on in the game, I'm gonna think I'm more entitled to that seat. So in that way I think it's ok to feel a little entitled for having a passion for something as long as you don't take it to the extreme.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to agree with people who can't stand those who scream really loud on coasters and rides (usually teenage girls or pre-teen girls). I have a friend who I go to parks with and she actually brings a pair of earplugs in the event that we might end up behind or in front of potential screamers (often some of them start before the train has even left the station or the ride has begun to move). Worse yet, I hear screamers on rides that could hardly be considered scary, even by GP standards.

And then there is being in line in front a child (or children) who are so poorly behaved that they are climbing the railings, crawling around on the ground and bouncing off of and constantly bumping into everyone around them. It's bad enough to stand in a long line on a hot day without having some oblivious hyperactive kid keep banging into my legs or my butt every five seconds. And it's even more obnoxious when the parents are there with them - and I wonder if they let their kids behave like wild animals everywhere they go. I've actually had to stand in line holding onto the rail balanced on one leg with the other bent out behind me, so that way if they keep banging around like a pinball in a machine they will be banging into the bottom of my shoe. I know parks are fun places for kids, and there are plenty of places in most parks for kids to get rid of excess energy, but waiting in line shouldn't be one of them.

The most annoying thing I deal with on a regular basis is Disneyland Annual Passholders that HAVE to chime into your conversation the second you talk about anything remotely Disney. They are usually 'fixing' your opinion or adding more information to what you were talking about than you care to discuss.

Other than that, reading this thread makes me think it should be renamed to 'Theme Park Enthusiasts that need a new hobby.' Some of these lists people are posting are like, EXACTLY what the theme park experience is! Efficient ride ops and kids enjoying themselves on rides should not be 'annoying' to any of us.

EDIT: Case and point below

Edited by WFChris

1) Idiots who think they know all about coasters but really don't

2) 12 year olds who are on dates

3) When a restaurant only has one person attending it (Cotton candy on dollar days at valley fair)

4) People who go up to you and mess around with you (annoying 12 year olds mostly)

5) mean ride operators, people who hate their job etc.

6) When people try to spit on you on those intamin looping starship rides

7) Screaming girls that break your ears

8) Over priced meals

9) Summer camp groups ugh those people are the worst. they take up lines in mass quantities

10) People who bump shoulders with you when you walk

The worst was waiting in line for Fahrenheit for an hour with a group of kids behind me that seemed to think by crowding me very close they'd get to ride sooner. It almost did get them to ride one person sooner but it would have been to keep from punching someone. I let the one that wasn't being loud and obnoxious ride with me in the front row.

Lets go to alton towers for my first few...

- When there is no line for a ride (mainly air) and you ask to stay on, they say no, so you spend 10 mins walking round the area again..

- When you wait for the smiler for 3 hours and it breaks down.

- When the smiler staff are going really slow

- When you wait forever for rita and it breaks don

- When ripsaw's restraints are going up and down for 5 mins, then get a ride what flips you upside down 2 times and swings you round 5-6 times, and dont even get wet

Now lets go to SFMM

- Waiting 2 mins on the break run on tatsu, and your facing chewing gum and it stinks, they srsly need to clean it.

- No shade areas

And then the 1's that are in the forum are all on the list but i dont want to repet them all

After my recent visit to Portaventura I have one thing to add:

- Closed restaurants (especially when the park is super crowded and you still have to be walking around a lot to find an open one)

People smoking in line or on the midway.

I had a $200 hockey Jersey get a hole burnt in it because a smoker bumped into me on the midway.

While I identify with your distain for smokers in parks, do you not think that was a sign from the universe to not wear expensive things to a place you know will be dirty and full of obnoxious people.

1. Line jumping

2. Smoking anywhere

3. Vacuum Dwellers in line letting huge gaps open while they stare at the ride, usually with their mouths hanging open

4. STROLLERS AND THE SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT OF THOSE WHO PUSH THEM - true story: I was waiting to exit Cedar Point at the Magnum gate during a rain delay when some Breeder rammed my ankle with his stroller. I turned to my friend and said to her (not to him), "That's why I hate those things." He snarled at me, "Then don't stand in line!"

5. Theme Park Mentality, which covers everything else not covered above or in just about every other post in this thread

6. The inexplicable GP habit of putting their arms up either in the station or on the lift hill, then quickly back down when the train goes down the first drop

4. STROLLERS AND THE SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT OF THOSE WHO PUSH THEM - true story: I was waiting to exit Cedar Point at the Magnum gate during a rain delay when some Breeder rammed my ankle with his stroller. I turned to my friend and said to her (not to him), "That's why I hate those things." He snarled at me, "Then don't stand in line!"

I couldn't agree more. I just don't believe that kids need all that stuff that parents think they'll need. I never see actual babies in Strollers I just see it loaded up with garbage.

I was at the new Living Planet Aquarium we have here last Saturday (I know not a theme park, but it is relevant to the conversation) and it just seemed like parents just used them to crowd other people out of the way and they just carried their kid around anyways, they were never actually in the stroller. I don't know why they can't use the small basic strollers, why does it need to have "shade" and a million pockets and cup holders?

I don't have kids, I don't plan on having kids, but if I did have kids, I'm not sure I would have these giant strollers that seem to be infiltrating everywhere.

I couldn't agree more. I just don't believe that kids need all that stuff that parents think they'll need. I never see actual babies in Strollers I just see it loaded up with garbage.

I was at the new Living Planet Aquarium we have here last Saturday (I know not a theme park, but it is relevant to the conversation) and it just seemed like parents just used them to crowd other people out of the way and they just carried their kid around anyways, they were never actually in the stroller. I don't know why they can't use the small basic strollers, why does it need to have "shade" and a million pockets and cup holders?

I don't have kids, I don't plan on having kids, but if I did have kids, I'm not sure I would have these giant strollers that seem to be infiltrating everywhere.

As a parent of two young boys who just visited Disney with strollers, I can understand your comments. We just had two small collapsible strollers, but saw many "small suv" strollers which I think the parents use so they dont have to carry anything. We were courteous and polite, but ran into one of my BIGGEST pet peeves, not just in amusement parks, but generally anywhere there are people. My pet peeve is people or groups of people who just stop in the middle of a walkway and think it's ok to just stand there and talk as long as they want. They never move and always seem like you are inconviencing them. Its stupid, if you are going to stop in a path where people walk, have some common sense and move off to the side, but most people don't, they just stand wherever they want.

Add to this list parents who change diapers on benches or picnic tables within sight of restrooms and who see the stroller as a kind of weapon with which to barge their way through crowds.

It's just a theory, but I have a suspicion that becoming a parent instills some subconscious desire to share your pain with the blissfully unencumbered. I have nothing against people who choose to become parents, but their behavior defies understanding at times. Have you ever seen a parent trying to reason logically with a squalling four-year-old who's obviously overwhelmed by the experience of being in a park? "What do you want to do now?" The child has no idea what he/she wants. I guess they don't want to damage their self-esteem by telling them they need a nap or a time out. I'm trying not to bash these people, but I just can't understand their behavior. The rules have changed too dramatically since I was a kid.

6. The inexplicable GP habit of putting their arms up either in the station or on the lift hill, then quickly back down when the train goes down the first drop

Out of curiosity, why does that bother you?

This isn't so much an annoyance as a "WTF" moment.

I know that I've said this before in the GP forum but I can't freaking stand it when people look at an Arrow or Vekoma looping coaster and say "OH MY GOD FINAL DESTINATION 3" I, no joke had that happen to me outside the entrance to Anaconda at Kings Dominion. This chick literally thought that Anaconda was the coaster they used in the movie...

I know that I've said this before in the GP forum but I can't freaking stand it when people look at an Arrow or Vekoma looping coaster and say "OH MY GOD FINAL DESTINATION 3" I, no joke had that happen to me outside the entrance to Anaconda at Kings Dominion. This chick literally thought that Anaconda was the coaster they used in the movie...

I know how that feels. One time my friends and I were at SFGAm, and they refused to ride Demon. Not because it hurt, because they claimed it was the ride in Final Destination 3.

A few things that bother me.

- Rude ride ops. I was at Lagoon last summer my wife and I on Rattle Snake Rapids, it has one of those turntable things to get people on and off the ride. The girl working the unload side literally said to my wife "Come on get out." I almost punched her right then and there.

- Speaking of Rattlesnake Rapids (and Rapids rides in general.) If you don't bring your own group, getting stuck in the boat with 2 teenage girls is pretty much the stone cold worst. I'd rather be in the boat with a young family then teenagers anytime.

At least I know the kids will be having a great time.

Sounds like a Work and Travel. lol Also, Rattlesnake Rapids has an hourly capacity of 1,200 persons per hour. That is with every boat filled with 9 Riders and without stopping the turn table. Most times, the ride is lucky to hit 600pph. If you would rather wait in a 90 Minute line in 106 Degrees, be my guest. lol

I know it is rapids in general. I should probably just bring my own group of people with me. It's the only ride that I like that doesn't really bode well with small parties of people. :/ and it isn't that big of a deal, but the ride ops lady being rude was inexcusable IMO, you don't need to say "you, up" when you are speaking to adults.

If you ever visit Lagoon and experience something similar, stop by Guest Services when you leave the park and fill out a "Suggestion Form" or E-mail the Park. Every Suggestion/Complaint is Read by Lagoon's Owners and the President of the Company, David W. Freed, who also responds to them. The Director, Managers, and Supervisors of the Department Involved will also review it and All Front Line Employees of that Department will be made aware of it as well.

On the Flip Side, and this is another thing that is on my "List of Things that Must Go," are Guests who Only Complain. Ever since I began working in the Industry, whenever I visit a park, I keep an eye out for Park Employees who go above and beyond the call of duty. At Lagoon, they are called "Star Employee" Forms, and Other Parks "Guest Compliments." I fill at least one of these out every time I visit a park, and every time I see one deserving at Lagoon. I've never visited a park where I haven't seen someone go above and beyond, and it takes just a few minutes at the end of the day to stop in and write about my positive experience.

I absolutely despise when people refer to roller coasters as THE "__________." If the ride is called Nemesis, don't call it THE Nemesis. If the ride actually has the word 'the' in the title, a la The Beast, that's an obvious exception, but would you add a 'The' to the title of a movie? No, so don't tack one onto the name of a coaster!

^

I can't stand people that use "the" before the ride's name. If you ask me, "the" sort of takes away the ride's personality. What's even worse is that at my home park, Valleyfair, the park itself refers to many of it's rides as the Wild Thing, or the Corkscrew, or the Renegade. If "the" is in the name of ride, as in The Beast or The Smiler, I'm okay with it, but otherwise, it gets very annoying.

Edited by VF15

^

I can't stand people that use "the" before the ride's name. If you ask me, "the" sort of takes a way the ride's personality. What's even worse is that at my home park, Valleyfair, the park itself refers to many of it's rides as the Wild Thing, or the Corkscrew, or the Renegade. If "the" is in the name of ride, as in The Beast or The Smiler, I'm okay with it, but otherwise, it gets very annoying.

I fully get what you mean. I also find it extremely annoying