TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Annoying stuff that happens in theme parks- The List

That 3 month period from park close to park open. For some people, it's pretty much half a year. I feel bad for those people. I'm so fortunate to live in an area where the park is open for 10 months of the year.

And people with no common sense. Those people are the worst.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One time I got trapped in between two group of people in line for Batman at SFSTL and they decided to pick a fight. We had to put up with this, on a very busy day at the park, for more than an hour. Then once we got to the station, it turned out they had just been joking around the entire time and were actually friends.

I hate when parks don't let you re-ride a coaster when the train comes back to the station and there's nobody waiting for your row. This is especially true when it's the end of the night and the next train will end up being the last train and it's not even close to being full.

At Lake Compounce we were riding Boulder Dash at the end of the night and they let us re-ride once because our row was empty and then they sent that train twice because we were cheering when we got back to the station (this wasn't a coaster group, just regular park guests). That's a great way to end the night at a park and it guarantees that the people on that train will leave happy and will want to come back.

At Great Adventure they always let you re ride Nitro and El Toro at the end of the night. On El Toro it usually turns out that the front few rows will be full on the last train and that's about it (because everyone waits for the front and then they tell them that they're not guaranteed a front seat ride so they end up waiting for the rows right behind it). On more than one occasion I've seen them go out of their way to find seats for the people who were in those seats next to single riders so that everyone who wants to re-ride can, and then send the train. They're awesome.

At Six Flags New England they NEVER let you re-ride anything ever (except for Tomohawk), and no matter how nicely you ask you'll always be met with a pissed off attitude. I never expect anything extra from anyone but if you have to send the train anyway and the row is empty... come on. It can make such a difference in someone's day and it requires no extra work from anyone at all.

1.jpg.866b6e49f554e20514f563fb5d1fc6cb.jpg

From the Golden Tickets. The only explanation I have for this is that 7% of people are idiots and I'm convinced they've never actually been to Six Flags New England.

Edited by coasterbill

I hate when parks don't let you re-ride a coaster when the train comes back to the station and there's nobody waiting for your row. This is especially true when it's the end of the night and the next train will end up being the last train and it's not even close to being full.

This annoys me too - it's probably park policy but the employees at Movie World seem to enjoy telling guests that they need to go all the way around to ride again. Really irritating on a ride like Arkham Asylum, where one cycle takes about ten minutes because the park has found the slowest possible way to operate an SLC.

This annoys me too - it's probably park policy but the employees at Movie World seem to enjoy telling guests that they need to go all the way around to ride again. Really irritating on a ride like Arkham Asylum, where one cycle takes about ten minutes because the park has found the slowest possible way to operate an SLC.

As an ex employee of Warner Bros. Movie World I would like to clarify a few things with you. It is park policy to not allow re-rides on the attractions within the park. The only major ride that allows re-rides is Wild West Falls when it's quiet and we would allow you to stay in the boat if you chose to and there was no one waiting.

Superman Escape and Scooby Doo we can't allow re-rides as there is no actual way to get back to the platform except by using the staff doors between load and unload. These doors are only to be used for staff transit and disabled guests / parent swaps. If we actually allowed you to go through those doors to re-ride we would actually get a written warning. With Scooby Doo in particular it's because the unloader physically can't see how long the line is and can't leave the fenced off area. With Superman the groups are already sorted 9 out of 10 times before the train comes into the unload station so we can't let you through.

Personally I never worked on Arkham Asylum but I did know Lethal Weapon. I know the procedure changed for that ride allowing re-rides as we were allowed to slip you through the chain near the front of the panel and join the groups behind the gate if there wasn't a line or allow you to go on an empty seat. I have no bloody idea why the procedure changed when the ride was re-themed... but if a staff member was caught doing it, you would get a written warning. And with a company that right now is doing anything at all to reduce staff / labour no one is willing to risk it. Hope that answers your question, doesn't mean the staff approve of it... but they aren't willing to get themselves in trouble.

I love this topic and great to hear from both sides of the story! But I guess some comments need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Queue jumping for me is like someone I do not know taking something off of my plate at a restaurant; to be fair if someone I did knew took something there would be trouble. But queue jumping is a no-brainer at parks really, and most parks do take this seriously.

On another note however, the general public (and I am probably by most members here deemed as one of these) over doing a ride's stats or history, I would say fair play to the general public. Smile and move on if you know better. Some people do not need to know what they are talking about to enjoy a ride. In fact I would say if someone told me a 25 people died on this ride last week, and believed it, the thrill factor would go through the roof! Father Xmas/Santa comes to mind.

If it annoys you then I think you are probably not much fun in a long queue to be around! Or maybe as a person.

1. Rain

Rain just puts a damper on everything. Parks seem to be getting more overly sensitive to it, and getting soaked is never fun. Bringing rain gear when rain chances are decent helps, but I have yet to find something comfortable that can prevent wet socks. Sorry, those toed shoes not requiring socks aren't for me. I can handle small showers, but when large parks near my like Cedar Point think a drizzle is a heavy storm, you find yourself bored with hardly any rides available. Lastly, I have a hard time stranding myself in an packed eatery or small gift shop for more than fifteen minutes with a bunch of other gross, wet, smelly people, so getting wet is not something that's easily avoidable.

2. Unexpected Crowds

Hasn't happened to me in awhile as I have learned some of the not so obvious factors that can unexpectedly bump attendance higher than average. You have the perfect day at the park planned thinking wait times will never be too excessive, and BAM, the crowds never seem to level out. Even if the park isn't Saturday packed, you find yourself annoyed when expected minimum waits are much longer than anticipated. Line skipping options are always nice, but not when you go into a park expecting to fork over a certain amount of money based on a budget that is also paying for school and such.

As an ex employee of Warner Bros. Movie World I would like to clarify a few things with you. It is park policy to not allow re-rides on the attractions within the park. The only major ride that allows re-rides is Wild West Falls when it's quiet and we would allow you to stay in the boat if you chose to and there was no one waiting.

Thanks for the info. I understand why logistically it doesn't work to do re-rides on Scooby and Superman. Arkham is the main one that gets me - mainly because the way the park operates the ride (not letting guests organise themselves behind air gates, just one ride op checking restraints, ride area is cleared before next group are allowed to line up behind gates) makes for very slow operations.

Personally, I hate having to pay for inflatable donuts, but if there's a limited supply then why not charge for it? Schlitterbahn has it right, it's still first come first serve but with no additional price.

Now a theme park really has no control over this but I hate when unsupervised kids find it funny to intentionally break the rules. I was at Dorney Park last summer and rode Steel Foce and a 12 year old girl and her friend in the two rows in front of me took off their seat belts and rode the entire ride standing up; well huntched up until the bars stopped them. The opps did their jobs, kids can just maneuver easily. I guess that's the parents issue though and not the theme parks.

Just to say something about the re-ride policy, I find it really depends on the park and ride. You honestly shouldn't be able to just continuously ride Titan at SFOT on a hot Texas day. I did the walk around but still after the 4th ride I puked. Now on the same day I was able to ride Shockwave back to back. Just depends but I'm glad some rides do enforce it, it's needed.

"GENTELMEN! START YOUR ENGINES!"

The most annoying thing I've encountered at theme parks are the people who stand in line, not paying attention that the line has moved a good 30 feet. I still remember waiting in line for Batwing at SFA last year and there was three people standing there watching the ride. After me and my friends asked them to move up, they looked at us with no expression, not even a single word, looked back at the ride and still stood there while the rest of the line was already almost in the station. They didn't even move up till they watched the ride make it to the final brake run. This was the only time I was ever tempted to line jump.

"GENTELMEN! START YOUR ENGINES!"

The most annoying thing I've encountered at theme parks are the people who stand in line, not paying attention that the line has moved a good 30 feet. I still remember waiting in line for Batwing at SFA last year and there was three people standing there watching the ride. After me and my friends asked them to move up, they looked at us with no expression, not even a single word, looked back at the ride and still stood there while the rest of the line was already almost in the station. They didn't even move up till they watched the ride make it to the final brake run. This was the only time I was ever tempted to line jump.

This never bothered me because it's not going to get you to the ride any faster, it just gives you the illusion of getting to the ride faster.

Apologies if someone's already listed this.

I know rides are for fun and screaming, but we seem to frequently get young female screechers in the row directly behind us. I guess I'm getting old, but sometimes the decibels are dangerously high. I need to start bringing ear plugs, or try to rearrange the row I'm sitting in.

Apologies if someone's already listed this.

I know rides are for fun and screaming, but we seem to frequently get young female screechers in the row directly behind us. I guess I'm getting old, but sometimes the decibels are dangerously high. I need to start bringing ear plugs, or try to rearrange the row I'm sitting in.

Yes Martin, you are old!

But I agree with you. The ones that really drive me up the wall are the ones that scream non-stop through out the whole ride.