TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SF Great America '09: Buccaneer Battle

Six Flags Great America announced Buccaneer Battle for 2009. It's a Mack splash battle style ride themed to Pirates. It will have 10 boats and a 450 ft. long course.

Here's an article about the ride.

Looks like Six Flags trademarked the name Buccaneer Battle. I hope that means they plan to do more of these at other parks, I think they're great (minus the somewhat low capacity).

Mike

buccaneerbattlelogo.jpg.7e2f4622fcca28aa1b341a5442d5d119.jpg

Logo

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Haha totally agree. I hope it can bring money into our park so we can get something big (not in the near future).

I think the location is horrible. County Fair? Since when do you see pirates in County Fair? Yankee Harbor, ha duh!

Oh well I was just hopeing for an addition to the park, and they gave it too us.

^ People at work today were practicing talking like Pirates just for tomorrow... working in an office is weird.

There's still nothing on the park's website, so perhaps they will do some sort of additional announcement tomorrow on that special day?

The Six Flags parks that previously did announcements had stuff on their webpages the same day, so it is curious that Great America doesn't.

Mike

The park did put out a press release and they are playing up on the Talk Like A Pirate day!

Here it is:

~~~~~

SIX FLAGS GREAT AMERICA ANNOUNCES NEW WATER ADVENTURE RIDE FOR 2009

Ahoy mateys! Tomorrow is International Talk Like a Pirate Day and to celebrate Six Flags Great America is announcing a new pirate themed interactive water attraction. To learn more about International Talk Like a Pirate Day please visit: talklikeapirate.com.

Sept. 18, 2008 - Gurnee, IL - A mutiny is brewing at Six Flags Great America as work begins on Buccaneer Battle, the theme park’s new water adventure ride slated to open May 15, 2009.

Buccaneer Battle is a pirate-themed water attraction that incorporates lighting, music, dialogue, costumes, set design and special effects – launching guests on a voyage through a three-dimensional pirate world. Manufactured by Mack Rides, Buccaneer Battle will be located in the County Fair next to Farmer’s Market.

Ten ships, each with room for eight crew members, follow a 450-foot channel through waves of interactive fun for the entire family. As the ships navigate the waters, the battle begins for passengers armed with a powerful soaker gun as they take aim at each other and targets along the way. Some targets respond while others display a variety of special effects, creating surprises at every turn. Buccaneer Battle also engages landlubber park guests along the ride’s banks as the freebooters on the ship supply random fire and observers shoot back in ship-to-shore fun.

“The addition of Buccaneer Battle offers our guests an interactive experience that will complement our already vast and diverse line-up of rides and attractions,” said Hank Salemi, Six Flags Great America’s park president. “This new super-sensory experience will put Great America in a class of its own when it comes to family-friendly entertainment.”

2009 season passes are on sale now at sixflags.com and include admission to the best water park in the nation, Hurricane Harbor; by purchasing now, guests will be able to visit Six Flags Great America for the remainder of the 2008 season including Fright Fest presented by Snickers®. At $69.99 each, season passes are being offered at the lowest price in five years. Season Pass holders will also receive a value-packed 2009 coupon book with more than $500 dollars worth of offers including six Bring-A-Friend-Free tickets.

Here are some treasures from the pirate dictionary* if you want to impress your swashbuckling co-workers:

Ahoy! - "Hello!"

Avast! - Stop and give attention. It can be used in a sense of surprise, "Whoa! Get a load of that!" which today makes it more of a "Check it out" or "No way!" or "Get off!"

Aye aye! - "I'll get right on that sir, as soon as my break is over."

Arrr! - This one is often confused with arrrgh, which is of course the sound you make when you sit on a belaying pin. "Arrr!" can mean, variously, "yes," "I agree," "I'm happy," "I'm enjoying this beer," "My team is going to win it all," "I saw that television show, it sucked!" and "That was a clever remark you or I just made." And those are just a few of the myriad possibilities of Arrr!

Beauty – The best possible pirate address for a woman. Always preceded by “me,” as in, “C’mere, me beauty,” or even, “me buxom beauty,” to one particularly well endowed. You’ll be surprised how effective this is.

Bilge rat – The bilge is the lowest level of the ship. It’s loaded with ballast and slimy, reeking water. A bilge rat, then, is a rat that lives in the worst place on the ship.

Lubber – (or land lubber) This is the seaman’s version of land lover, mangled by typical pirate disregard for elocution. A lubber is someone who does not go to sea, who stays on the land.

Smartly – Do something quickly. “Smartly, me lass,” you might say when sending the bar maid off for another round. She will be so impressed she might well spit in your beer.

*Source: talklikeapirate.com

Not thrilled with the location. Seriously, County Fair?

In two years they've put stuff in that doesn't really fit into the themed areas. And I'm not saying Batman: The Ride fit into Yankee Harbor either, but it sort of made sense.

I'd rather see V2 in County Fair, and this moved over by the flumes.

Splash battles are cool. They're the kind of attraction that's fun just to watch from the midway. The interactive nature of these is fun also. I think more interactive rides should be installed in parks to help lure video game addicts out off the couch.

That being said, it seems like 2009 is going to be a rather "light" year for Six Flags. I hate to say it, but Cedar Fair probably has them whipped (Diamondback), but I guess it's necessary to have a few of these light years in order to not bankrupt the company.

Here's to hoping this strategy finally pays off for Six Flags and they get back to a point where they can install some decent coasters again. I'm still waiting for that T-Express clone!

Not thrilled with the location. Seriously, County Fair?

In two years they've put stuff in that doesn't really fit into the themed areas. And I'm not saying Batman: The Ride fit into Yankee Harbor either, but it sort of made sense.

I'd rather see V2 in County Fair, and this moved over by the flumes.

SFGAm doesnt have themed areas anymore, seems like everything theyve done this season has purposely been done to diminish the integrity of the parks atmosphere. Nothing like walking through the Southwest or riding the Carousel with rap/pop music blaring over the speakers .

^ I agree with the music. My first visit there was last month and what better way to welcome guest but with pop music on a carousel.

On Buccaneer Battle, should be a nice addition to the park. If they actually cared about theming, it would be a bad location, but no problem there. It is nice to see another family ride in the park for the non-thrill ride fans.

That being said, it seems like 2009 is going to be a rather "light" year for Six Flags. I hate to say it, but Cedar Fair probably has them whipped (Diamondback), but I guess it's necessary to have a few of these light years in order to not bankrupt the company.

It's like it's 2004 again, and even then there was a half-pipe coaster!

Are there still more (bigger) announcements to come?

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the park today because I figured it wouldn't be bad(bad, but it will get worse), and I managed to get some photos of the site so far. I also went on the Mack's website, and found what the layout will probably be. The ride vehicles also look really cool, and this ride should look really good when done. I do wonder how they will fit it all in though.

Currently, the site is at least two holes with some equipment around, so it isn't much. However, I know you people have to see photos of every step from markers to completion, so here are the photos:

IMG_0009.JPG.e7b1f971bfd677a7d085818e141fadec.JPG

Sign

IMG_0010.JPG.61ca14c1be0a7845649fb53e966a8b41.JPG

Construction

IMG_0012.JPG.becd38175d9595ec46e293910ea045be.JPG

Construction

IMG_0040.JPG.d1be0d9cb72431be27e8ca7d20ea2c56.JPG

Construction

• 6 months later...
When is the media day?

The ride opens on Friday, May 15, so I'd guess media day is the 13.

I'm really impressed with how the ride is coming, and it looks like my expectations for it have been exceeded. It should be great for the park, but I fear that you will have to pay to use the water cannons on the shore.

If I go back to the park before the ride opens, I'll be sure to get plenty of pictures. Construction should move quickly since there is only a month to go, and there still appears to be a lot to get done.

• 4 weeks later...