TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Power Outages?

Well I was watching a couple of rollercoaster-related cartoons, and I remembered that in cartoons, whenever there's a power out the coaster train stops right where it is(Usually at the top of a loop). And I know that it doesn't really make sense since most coasters aren't electrictiy-powered, but then I realized that brakes ARE(or at least the sensors that trigger them). So if there's a power outage, which, from expereince I have seen to make Lift hills stop working, therefore eliminating my "Emergency generator" theory. What keeps the brakes running?

On the Midwest trip they had to operate Avalanche's brakes manually since it got hit by lightning the night before, but what do you do if it happens mid-run? Is there actually a chance of something happening if the ride op doesn't notice in time?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All good brakes are designed to be fail-safe. That means that they require energy to disengage, rather than engage, so in case of a loss of power, all brakes default to closed.

This is exactly what it is. A brake's default position is closed. It takes power and air pressure to leave them open. If the power goes out, the power giving the air the pressure to open them is lost, and the brake closes.

I do know on Vekoma Boomerangs, they can stop on the loop.

But I don't know if its a power outage or not.

--James

On the cobra roll. Yeah, they can Valley. The vertical loop is EXTREMELY unlikely

No, they have a strip of brakes between the loop and second spike. I guess they would be used in the event that the train doesn't make it completely up the second spike, they wouldn't risk valley in the cobra or between the cobra and loop.

I do know on Vekoma Boomerangs, they can stop on the loop.

But I don't know if its a power outage or not.

--James

On the cobra roll. Yeah, they can Valley. The vertical loop is EXTREMELY unlikely

No, they have a strip of brakes between the loop and second spike. I guess they would be used in the event that the train doesn't make it completely up the second spike, they wouldn't risk valley in the cobra or between the cobra and loop.

^Yeah when I was TGE's Boomerang when it valleyed thats where it E-Stop, VERY quickly. I'm pretty sure they store the train in that spot too.

It does happen from time to time, Freddie. I guess the brakes are there just to reduce the chances of it happening. But you do read about it in the papers every 2 years or so.

^I know for a fact that boomerang trains are stored in the station. Probably because that part of the track is covered, and has easy access from below.

What about when a coaster, specifically an older Arrow coaster is setting on the transfer track??

Dave Altoff Jr's site mentions this instance...

http://capital2.capital.edu/admin-staff/dalthoff/shame.html

This one was a simple mistake. It's the kind of incident you can make jokes about first of all because nobody got hurt, and second because it can happen to even the best park operators in the business. In fact it DID happen to one of the best park operators in the business. This is the transfer table of an Arrow looping coaster that is about fifteen years old. As on most Arrow coasters, the brakes on the transfer table (and everywhere else on the ride) are applied with air pressure. When the air is released, a leaf spring pulls the brake caliper open. It is standard practice on any ride with air pressure systems to drain the air tanks and lines daily so that moisture doesn't build up in the system and corrode the tanks. So when the train is parked, it needs to be held in place with a wheel chock or a chain attached to the back axle, since draining the air system will make the brakes go away. In this case, the train had been secured with a steel chain, but the chain was just a few feet longer than it should have been. Whoops!

This would be a case of brakes default position being opened? Perhaps Arrow doesn't use 'good' brakes? This is Vortex at KI.

On Arrow style brakes, the tanks stay pressurized with air (and have sensors to fault the ride if air is low for some reason) However, the valving is set up to fail open. So, power fails, air valves open, pressurizing the bladders in the brakes and clamping them shut. Assuming the air system is tight, it should hold the pressure and remain closed indefinately.