TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

P. 288: New B&M Dive Machine Announced!

I was at the park on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning. Poltergeist was closed Wednesday when the weather was good. Every ride in the park closed almost all day on Thursday due to a huge rain storm which was a bummer, however I did notice Poltergeist testing during the rain storm. Wish I could've gotten a ride on it, but oh well.

Also ran into Mr. Siebert while crossing the railroad tracks in the rain. He's a great guy and was very friendly to us! He apologized for the weather which, of course, is not the park's fault but still nice to hear. I had a wonderful time at the park despite the rain. It is definitely my third favorite Six Flags park behind MM and GAdv.

Iron Rattler was running amazingly on Wednesday. My first rides were in December 2019 and I was a bit underwhelmed, but it was HOT Wednesday and the back row on that ride was absolutely bonkers. It definitely redeemed itself. Also snagged a front row ride in the pelting rain which was painful but tons of fun!

Can't wait to go back someday when the weather is better. Just bad timing!

• Like 1

it appears SFFT is joining the bandwagon with "power hours" added on certain Saturdays to keep riding for 3 hours (9pm to Midnight) for a slight upcharge.  (tho Diamond Elite & Diamond Elite VIP are free, the cost for Season Passholders and other Member tiers is only $5, and only $15 on top of daily ticket if neither a member or passholder)

think it's a great idea

https://www.sixflags.com/fiestatexas/events/coaster-power-hours-june-19?fbclid=IwAR1WZicZbdmsm3ohUMVZr8Xx0wZxJ_K_h5oqcgKpCKLOLEMam1JuV4hdrMM

I’m back in Texas again so I took a drive down to the park today, my first time back post-vaccine. The weather was gross — hot, gloomy, greasy — so I figured that’d minimize crowds. Indeed, the park wasn’t that busy but lines still grew a couple of hours after opening. A number of rides remained closed all day; quite a few more opened late or struggled to stay open. The parking kiosks were handing out employment flyers to everyone who entered, so I couldn’t help but wonder of the lax ops are due to staffing issues?

Anyhow, I rode the usual stuff. I mainly go to Fiesta to ride iRat and Superman. I like a few of the other rides (like Joker), but those two are the main draw for me and I squeezed in a couple of early back-to-back spins before the the lines started to fill. I also wanted to check out the new (to me) flat, even though I had a hunch it wouldn’t be my thing. It looks cool and it’ll be a big hit with the crowds, but it’s quite the puke machine — a one-and-done affair for me. The main rotation isn’t the issue as it moves quite slow, but I found the looping unpleasant and nauseating. Combine that with the fact that it suspends you upside down for awkwardly-long moments. For this rider, it was neither thrilling nor fun, and perhaps a bit more worse than I’d anticipated. The GP will love it, though.

Aside from that, a standard muggy day at the park but with reduced ops. iRat can do no wrong in my eyes, and I could marathon it with ease if given the chance. Superman can get a bit rattly / crunchy, but the two drops off the cliff make it worthwhile. 

13 minutes ago, Arthur_Seaton said:

The weather was gross — hot, gloomy, greasy — so I figured that’d minimize crowds. Indeed, the park wasn’t that busy but lines still grew a couple of hours after opening.

LOL. . yep, typical Texas weather for early June  (which is why it didn't keep that many people away - tho I'm sure the Waterpark kept lines somewhat manageable on the dry side?  and I'll bet that when the lines started to get longer, it was folks leaving the waterpark section and moving over to the "dry" stuff)

as to DDD, it's luck of the draw that you got the "plane" programmed for the extended upside-down stall - they're all programmed slightly differently, so what I did on my two rides was to watch carefully while in the line, and note which car had the more intense "whipping" rather than the extended stall. . then requested to be put in that number when the grouper assigns.  
It worked once, and the 2nd time my request was ignored and they just put me on an open spot (tho still worked out OK).

28 minutes ago, bert425 said:

LOL. . yep, typical Texas weather for early June  (which is why it didn't keep that many people away - tho I'm sure the Waterpark kept lines somewhat manageable on the dry side?  and I'll bet that when the lines started to get longer, it was folks leaving the waterpark section and moving over to the "dry" stuff)

The water park was closed from what I could tell — which was surprising given the heat / grossness.

And thanks for the DDD tips. I had no idea that the planes had programs and just jumped on one at random; I didn't even watch it run first. The one I was in flipped like crazy for a solid minute and then just turned upside for like 10 seconds while the ride slowed down. Not great!

• Like 1

^ I checked the calendar for the waterpark after you noted wasn't open. . .yeah, they are not open on Tues/Wed -  so I'd have to assume staffing.   Typically it's open every day once the "daily" operations start.

I note they only have the June info loaded (not ope Tues/Wed), so I'd have to assume they are still hoping to open daily July-Sept?

image.png.c978f0291189020510cf47c4284bddc0.png

After three long years we finally returned to this park (Our favorite SF park easily!)  The weather helped keep the crowds down both days (Saturday it was raining until after lunchtime and Sunday just plain hot and humid).  I was eager to try out the three attractions added since our last visit:  Pirates, DDD, and Joker.  The Pirates of the Deep Sea was heavily themed, entertaining, and a welcome break from the outside heat.  I found Dare Devil Dive Flying Machines to be surprisingly fun for what it was but not something I would want to ride again and again.  The theming was really cool though.  There was a costumed 'character' greeting riders in the queue - I think he was supposed to be 'the inventor'.  Curiously, this ride did not elevate to the top on every cycle but stayed low to the ground.  I only observed the planes up in the air once.  Lastly, The Joker Carnival of Chaos was as fun as I expected.  I really like these pendulum rides.  I did notice there was a sign near the queue entrance advertising the world record specifications of this ride, still referring to it with the discarded name "Wild Card".

Poltergeist was down but we already had the credits from prior visits.  Still missed riding it though.  I really liked Hustler's new paint job.  

The bonus of the day was the Rock The Night Grand Finale fireworks and laser show.  I remember seeing a similar show three years ago and this one did not disappoint.  The Diamond / DE seating area was nice too.

Ride ops and food service were excellent.  We will be back!

20210605_190651.thumb.jpg.cb5d7bf0ba8c98692691e1bb5ef6bc32.jpg

Great addition to the park!  

20210605_200119.thumb.jpg.ba9751d511a215899088c018d834ef56.jpg

Awesome theming but lacks the re-rideability of many other rides here.

20210605_202717.thumb.jpg.7c182e64809b12ff9c9f14f71a1ddf30.jpg

This view never gets old!

20210606_184705-1.thumb.jpg.df152cf53d601061a6d53ac14fce7ac9.jpg

Signs like this were all over the park.  Possibly a haunt overlay to Poltergeist queue?

20210605_212828.thumb.jpg.9d662441e068ba8a331decf021d3831d.jpg

Another great finale!  We will be back

• Like 2

Night one of Coaster Rodeo was fun. The 2 haunted houses were good. Everyone was having fun. Tomorrow a lot of tours and full park ERT to end the day. 

Also, rumors are strong they will announce a new coaster at 3pm to the Rodeo group. Hope it's true. 

Also, can I say it's great seeing the park president and brass riding rides today? Jeff was in seat 7 on WW having a good time.  Others riding Iratt tonight as well.

Poltergeist will be down after July 4th. New queue sound awesome. Should be done by Labor Day and read for Freight Fest the following week. 

Teased today is a "new signature attraction" for 2022. Scheduled to open behind those doors on Memorial Day. Coaster Rodeo 2022 will be June 10 weekend. This has been in planning for 5 years.

Also selling bricks for the path to the new attraction coming. On sales next couple weeks.

• Like 2

Dang I'm excited to see what this is going to be! Planning five years in the making! this sounds like its going to be BIG! I really have to wonder if this will be an Axis coaster if it has been in the works for five years. I'm sure during that time, S&S was in the preliminary stages of designing the Axis so maybe that is what this'll be, but I just feel like that's pushing it. I feel like whatever this ends up being will be the most expensive Six Flags coaster in recent history!

• Like 1

Excited never been to the park and not done Texas since 1995 ! Supposed to come 20 then 21 (stupid covid) .could actually be good as this looks to be a major ride. 

wheres the smart money on what are they lacking ride wise ? 

love the axis coaster idea!

Stu K 

Could this possibly be the aforementioned "new record-breaking" 2022 Gerstlauer coaster in a "challenging location"? I was looking at the park map and where the doors with the teaser are, and maybe the ride entrance/station/possibly launch area or lift (if it's a coaster) could start there and head towards the quarry wall off to the left side of Iron Rattler?

Rattlesnakes and a quarry wall could certainly be considered a "challenging location".

• Like 1

Many believe the theater right next to that will be taken out this winter. Jeff posted 4 or 5 places in the park and mentioned one is not returning.  Would give more space for the new attraction.

14 minutes ago, xVicesAndVirtues said:

Could this possibly be the aforementioned "new record-breaking" 2022 Gerstlauer coaster in a "challenging location"? I was looking at the park map and where the doors with the teaser are, and maybe the ride entrance/station/possibly launch area or lift (if it's a coaster) could start there and head towards the quarry wall off to the left side of Iron Rattler?

Rattlesnakes and a quarry wall could certainly be considered a "challenging location".

the location is towards the inside of the park, it's not against the quarry wall.

many think it's going to be the Axis coaster.

my gut, and i'm sticking with it for now, is that we're looking at a heavily themed Flat ride.

where this is in the park - CrackAxle (which very recently was rethemed to a "Screampunk" area when they installed DareDevilDive last year - which also fits into every clue that Mr. Siebert has given) has two coasters (Iron Rattler & Roadruner Express - which both have entrances directly across the path from where this new ride/attraction is going. . so I just don't see it being a coaster.   It's also VERY close to DaredevilDive, so that's why I'm not in agreement that it's the Axis coaster (why put a spinning coaster right next to the area of the park with two coasters and a spilling flat).

CreackAxle is also severely lacking in flat rides.  Other than the new DareDevilDive?  the only other non-coasters in this area are two kiddie rides, and the train station.

so I really, really do think that one of the "storefronts" on the street will have the back wall removed, that will become the queue for this new ride, and we're looking at a new flat.

we shall see tho. . . if they end up removing all of the Sundance Theater?  that's a large area, and yeah, could be a coaster. . but I feel the theater is staying, and they are just going to build next to it (where the work seems to be going) - perhaps just removing some seating from Sundance.

But until the theater is bulldozed?  I'm sticking with thinking it's a flat.

1 hour ago, Stu K said:

Excited never been to the park and not done Texas since 1995 ! Supposed to come 20 then 21 (stupid covid) .could actually be good as this looks to be a major ride. 

wheres the smart money on what are they lacking ride wise ? 

love the axis coaster idea!

Stu K 

they are lacking a Wooden Coaster.  

and folks have been begging for years for a wooden "out and back" on the boardwalk - they have the space for it (heading out towards the parking lots), but it hasn't been done (yet).

I do think eventually we'll get a woodie tho.

I’d love to eventually see a woodie in this park. I just wish that some park, somewhere, would pick up the phone and call intamin for a woodie rather than endlessly building GCI/Gravity Group coasters. Like I don’t hate either of them. But…Intamin.

24 minutes ago, xVicesAndVirtues said:

I’d love to eventually see a woodie in this park. I just wish that some park, somewhere, would pick up the phone and call intamin for a woodie rather than endlessly building GCI/Gravity Group coasters. Like I don’t hate either of them. But…Intamin.

I totally agree, I wonder if it's a cost issue or if Intamin just stopped building them?  I know that Colossos had some issues (it's back open now), but El Toro/Balder/T Express have been universally praised as some of the best woodies on the planet.  I'd love to see an Intamin prefab at SFFT, but I don't know how realistic that is.

3 hours ago, bert425 said:

the location is towards the inside of the park, it's not against the quarry wall.

many think it's going to be the Axis coaster.

my gut, and i'm sticking with it for now, is that we're looking at a heavily themed Flat ride.

where this is in the park - CrackAxle (which very recently was rethemed to a "Screampunk" area when they installed DareDevilDive last year - which also fits into every clue that Mr. Siebert has given) has two coasters (Iron Rattler & Roadruner Express - which both have entrances directly across the path from where this new ride/attraction is going. . so I just don't see it being a coaster.   It's also VERY close to DaredevilDive, so that's why I'm not in agreement that it's the Axis coaster (why put a spinning coaster right next to the area of the park with two coasters and a spilling flat).

CreackAxle is also severely lacking in flat rides.  Other than the new DareDevilDive?  the only other non-coasters in this area are two kiddie rides, and the train station.

so I really, really do think that one of the "storefronts" on the street will have the back wall removed, that will become the queue for this new ride, and we're looking at a new flat.

we shall see tho. . . if they end up removing all of the Sundance Theater?  that's a large area, and yeah, could be a coaster. . but I feel the theater is staying, and they are just going to build next to it (where the work seems to be going) - perhaps just removing some seating from Sundance.

But until the theater is bulldozed?  I'm sticking with thinking it's a flat.

I just really don’t think they’d do all this teasing for a flat ride. Especially since it’s being described as a new signature attraction. Also the fact that he said he’s been five years in making. It’s been four years since Wonder Woman, so then adding a coaster for 2022 fits the pattern of adding a new coaster every couple years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LegendLover said:

I just really don’t think they’d do all this teasing for a flat ride. Especially since it’s being described as a new signature attraction. Also the fact that he said he’s been five years in making. It’s been four years since Wonder Woman, so then adding a coaster for 2022 fits the pattern of adding a new coaster every couple years. 

they would tho. . Mr. Siebert is great about that.

the teasing for Joker was EPIC. . as was the teasing for DareDevilDive.

and keep in mind - also has been teased, and announced now, Poltergeist is getting repainted (Dark green supports, light green track) with a new queue line and will be down as of July 4th.

So they DID announce something with a coaster. . and SFFT doesn't really have a pattern of new coaster every couple of years:

WW - 2018
Batman - 2015 (3 years earlier)
Iron Rattler - 2012 (2 years earlier)
Goliath - 2008 (4 years earlier)
Pandemonium - 2007 (1 year earlier)
Superman - 2000 (7 years earlier)
Poltergeist AND Boomerang - 1999 (1 year earlier)
Roadrunner Express - 1997 (2 years earlier)

Six Flags took ownership in 1996

so yeah. . I mean, it COULD be a coaster, but SFFT has been in pattern of something new every year or so. . but really, it's been multiple flats back to back between coasters.

8 minutes ago, tndank said:

RIP Sundance Theater. It's gone by end of year.  Now confirmed. 

Yup. . just saw his post as part of Thrill Seekers United FB group.

tho really, not a loss. . it took up space, and the shows that WERE there, were never very well attended (of course, removing the sunshades from it, made it hell to sit in that amphitheater anyways.

So let's see what goes in there. . . it might be a really large flat. . . or (and I dunno how much $$ Fiesta is going to spend. . but this is just wishfull thinking) - move Pandemonium there with a retheme, and build that out and back woodie for the boardwalk :)