TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

I have heard that Cyclone at SFNE is getting some topper track. We'll see if that happens.

now that would be amazing

SFNE Online received pictures earlier today that show the track. Crews have been seen around Cyclone surveying it out.

If you want to see two more pictures you can go to SFNE Online.

http://sfneonline.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=209&p=4341#p4341

I'm sure if the track on both Rattler and Cyclone are a success then I bet we'll see them on more coasters soon enough!

With rumors of a new woodie happening at Cedar Point in the next 2 years, would it be possible that they may have the Rocky Mountain plan for Mean Streak? Re-Market it as a new ride ie Disaster Transport? As much money as they have put into the back of the park I could see it happening but the front is getting neglected some. If the New Texas Giant goes well, we could see a New Mean Streak.

While I am glad Six Flags is starting to use Rocky Mountain track, I would be even more so to see Cedar Fair use this. Knott's has GhostRider, Dorney has Thunderhawk, Cedar Point has Mean Streak. All 3 of these rides could use Rocky Mountain track. (P.S., what is with Cedar Fair parks and rough woodys anyway?)

If anything, Dania Beach Hurricane NEEDS this. Its a great ride but its aged very badly... Chunky PTC's haven't helped either.

Imagine it with the topper track, and Timberliners..

I hope it doesn't get the Gwazi treatment.. Great new trains and still the crap track.

Really? I rode DBH less than a year ago and it was FAR better (in terms of ride condition, roughness, etc) when compared to Gwazi. Heck, I'd say it was better or as good as (when considering the same terms) most of the woodies I've ridden. I think there's a pretty clear line between a normal woodie which, of course, is going to be slightly rough, and a downright unbearable woodie that desperately needs the Rocky Mountain topper track. DBH was rough, but it was still fun; a woodie that meets the latter requirements would in no way (or in very few ways) be able to be considered enjoyable. From what I've read over the years, rides like Rattler (and Mean Streak, and the Texas Giant, and...) are in much greater need of the extensive rehabilitation RM provides than a ride such as DBH. Just my couple of pennies.

That reminds me that I'll have to bring a newspaper to SFFT this year! On my last visit many years ago, many of us wished we'd have a newspaper to read during that long, boring helix! That would make for a funny picture, if you had a train full of people reading newspapers on a coaster!

As to SFNE's Cyclone, the only thing it needs is constant maintenance -- and to take off the damn brakes that are now all over the ride! When they switched to heavier PTC trains from those awful Morgan monstrosities, the ride needed MUCH more trackwork. Instead, they just braked the whole thing to death! Another example of "be careful what you ask for!"

It's a shame that the big park chains can't afford to maintain their woodies.

Let's not jump to conclusions here...I don't think anyone's even experienced the full effect of this track on the Texas Giant yet...we don't even know if it's going to make any difference on that.

But if it does...just think of it...Dinn corp coasters that are actually rideable! I didn't think such a thing could be possible.

Let's not jump to conclusions here...I don't think anyone's even experienced the full effect of this track on the Texas Giant yet...we don't even know if it's going to make any difference on that.

But if it does...just think of it...Dinn corp coasters that are actually rideable! I didn't think such a thing could be possible.

The giant was a total rebuild, there is no original track left on the ride. It was replaced with full on steel. The topper track simply sits on top of the laminate layer and replaces the running layer of the laminates.

giant is a whole other beast from rattler now

If anything, Dania Beach Hurricane NEEDS this. Its a great ride but its aged very badly... Chunky PTC's haven't helped either.

Imagine it with the topper track, and Timberliners..

I hope it doesn't get the Gwazi treatment.. Great new trains and still the crap track.

Have you ridden Gwazi with the new trains? Seems kind of unfair to pass judgement on the coaster if you have not ridden it yet.

Yes, I have. Better, but still not a good ride in my opinion.

This picture was taken today at SFNE. Work is definitely going on at Cyclone.

You can see more pictures of them installing what looks to be the topper track and some other pictures from the Pet Food Drive here.

http://sfneonline.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=212&start=0

It looks like they're just doing the second drop on Cyclone, which is an area that definitely needs it.

This picture was taken today at SFNE. Work is definitely going on at Cyclone.

You can see more pictures of them installing what looks to be the topper track and some other pictures from the Pet Food Drive here.

http://sfneonline.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=212&start=0

It looks like they're just doing the second drop on Cyclone, which is an area that definitely needs it.

Hopefully, I'll be able to go to SFNE this season and ride the Cyclone! I've heard really bad things about it in the past, so I can't wait to see if it's inproved that much.

Oh, and Gotham City Gauntlet.

There was an article in the San Antonio Business Journal about SFFT. Unfortunately it's considered "premium" content and doesn't let you read the full article if you don't subscribe. Anyone have access to it?

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/print-edition/2011/03/18/ceo-of-six-flags-says-san-antonio.html

Here is a clip of what was posted

CEO of Six Flags says San Antonio theme park to get a boost

Parent company plans to invest in Fiesta Texas

San Antonio Business Journal - by W. Scott Bailey

Date: Friday, March 18, 2011, 5:00am CDT

Related:

Technology

Enlarge Image

CATHERINE DOMINGUEZ/SAN ANTONIO BUSINESS JOURNAL

Six Flags Fiesta Texas' Martin Bozer says the theme park's parent company is making some necessary changes.

Click here to find out more!

Six Flags has endured a tough roller coaster ride over the last several years as multiple management groups have had to deal with incredible debt and other challenges.

But the company’s newest CEO, James Reid-Anderson, says Six Flags is now rolling in the right direction and in position to make some needed investments in one of its more important properties — San Antonio’s Fiesta Texas.

“I am very optimistic about our company and our people,” Reid-Anderson says. “Six Flags is back to doing what it does best.”

Tourism is a multibillion-dollar engine that helps drive San Antonio’s economy.

The growth ...

Read more: CEO of Six Flags says San Antonio theme park to get a boost | San Antonio Business Journal

Hope we can find out more soon!

Just got off Rattler front row and Im back in line to try the back. Guess what? The topper track is fantastic and feels like a wooden coaster. Basically it feels like a brand new GCI...its silky smooth but still has that great wooden coaster vibration. I think its all because the NTG rides tight to the rails while these woodies with topper track still have the same PTCs that dont ride the rails as tight. Basically I think the topper track is what will become extremely popular as it makes rides really smooth, will keep them reliable, but still keep the wooden coaster feel.

That's your review? Where is the bolt-by-bolt reporting? I was expecting at least 1000 words. Thanks for the info! I may have to visit when your back in town!

• 3 weeks later...

A new broadway show coming to Fiesta Texas in 2011!!

April 4, 2011

Ovation Brings a Broadway Flair to Six Flags Fiesta Texas Beginning June 11

The bright lights of Broadway come to Six Flags Fiesta Texas as the park debuts its brand-new show – Ovation, opening in the newly renovated Zaragoza Theater beginning June 11.

Guests will find themselves singing and dancing along to their favorite Broadway tunes as this exciting new production incorporates video projection, special effects, unique lighting and elaborate costumes to create an electric, high-energy event. Ovation features approximately 20 performers, many from other award-winning park shows, and a nine-piece band.

Dreamgirls and the Jersey Boys face-off in a musical duel, performing the sounds of Motown blended with ’60s style rock ‘n roll. Ovation also integrates an upbeat dance sequence to “Dancing Queen” from Mamma Mia. Recent Broadway favorites from American Idiot, Rent, In the Heights, and Wicked will be performed before the entire cast assembles onstage for the grand finale featuring songs from The Wedding Singer, Memphis and Hairspray.

Ovation will be featured daily Wednesday through Friday, with two shows on Saturday and Sunday. The theatre will be dark on Monday and Tuesday.

Also on tap this summer – the all-new Lone Star Nights Laser and Fireworks Celebration. This guest favorite has been completely redesigned with enhanced video projection, new lasers, audio, pyrotechnics and special effects. The resulting spectacular features bigger, brighter, more animated images broadcast on the quarry walls; opening in May.

Award-winning shows and thrilling roller coasters like Goliath, racing at speeds of over 50 mph, Superman Krypton Coaster, and Poltergeist all combine to provide fun for the entire family. All ages may enjoy the high-speed action on Road Runner Express, dodging boulders and racing in and out of The Rattler coaster. The tikes in your group can soar through the air on ZoomJets in KIDZOPOLIS, an imaginative play-park designed just for kids.

The STARBURST® Summer Concert Series returns Thursday, July 14 with We the Kings and The Downtown Fiction. We the Kings is a pop punk band best known for their songs “Check Yes Juliet” and “We’ll Be a Dream” featuring Demi Lovato. The Downtown Fiction is an indie pop band whose single “I Just Wanna Run” was recently featured on an episode of MTV’s The Jersey Shore. The concert is free with park admission. A separate concert ticket is required. Tickets are available the day of the event on a first-come, first-serve basis while supplies last.

Bathing suits are in order this summer at White Water Bay - free with park admission beginning April 30. For maximum water thrills, Big Bender delivers plummeting dips, dark twisting tunnels, and refreshing waterfalls – watch out for that 50-foot drop. The fun continues in Lone Star Lagoon, a Texas shaped wave pool filled with over half a million gallons of refreshing water.

For added incentives, purchase a 2011 Season Pass to receive a value-book with hundreds of dollars of in-park savings on food, games and souvenirs, free tickets for friends and access to special events like Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park. Season Passes are $64.99 (plus tax), or $59.99 each (plus tax) when you order a Season Pass 4-pack. Order your 2011 Season Pass online at sixflags.com.

http://www.sixflags.com/fiestaTexas/info/news_OvationBeginsJune11.aspx

This is great news!!

• 1 month later...

Lone Star Nights is Now OPEN!! In fact it is going on right now!!

May 27, 2011

The All-New Lone Star Nights Laser and Fireworks Celebration Set to Illuminate the Quarry Walls at Six Flags Fiesta Texas on May 28

Six Flags Fiesta Texas, America’s favorite show park, will be illuminated with revolutionary lasers, enhanced 3D video projection and custom pyrotechnics during the premiere of the all-new Lone Star Nights Laser and Fireworks Celebration, presented by Kraft Foods. Broadcast on a football field-sized section of the park’s quarry walls, this all new show makes its Memorial Day weekend debut on May 28. The new celebratory storyline is a salute to the Lone Star State of today, highlighting the various cultures, places and people that make Texas unique.

From the tip of the Gulf Coast and up to the Panhandle, Lone Star Nights will make stops in a variety of iconic locations throughout Texas. A pinnacle destination is, of course, San Antonio, showcasing the heritage, flavors, colors and music of the city. The salute also touches on the Alamo and the San Antonio River. The show pays tribute to the Armed Forces and their dedication to freedom and our country. Lone Star Nights also highlights the sports teams and universities in Texas, with a focus on the sense of pride and community they evoke.

Lone Star Nights incorporates innovative new technology, with nine computers powering the show compared to three used in the previous production. The new, upgraded technology, including new video projectors and lasers, offer 3D special effects and “video mapping,” which creates a more vivid and visually stimulating display. The enhanced capabilities will bring amazing images to life.

“This is a magnificent new production that our guests are going to want to see again and again,” said Six Flags Fiesta Texas Park President Martin Bozer. “The enhanced technology creates a full-sensory display that truly celebrates all things Texas.”

Advanced audio, pyrotechnic and special effects round out the show. Some of the pyrotechnics have been custom-made to especially complement the production. Lone Star Nights will light up the quarry walls beginning May 28 on evenings when the park closes at 9 p.m.

http://www.sixflags.com/fiestaTexas/info/News_LoneStarNights.aspx

http://photos.prnewswire.com/medias/switch.do?prefix=/appnb&page=/getStoryRemapDetails.do&prnid=20110527%252fDA09823&action=details

ADMIN EDIT: I removed the photo link as it required some authentication that the average user cannot access.

Edited by jedimaster1227

Just an update.. Saw the show tonight and it is very nice. DIFFERENT, but nice. Everything about this show is new. Having been on the inside for years I know that it was well needed. The equipment used before was going on 25+ years old(yes the parks only been open 20 seasons but the lasers were prior used at Stone Mountian). The show is still all about Texas, but less history and more about what Texas is today. There is no story telling and San Antonio Sam is no longer in it (don't worry he is just settlin down at the ranch you would be tired too if you told the same story for 20 years). All in all it is VERY different from the orginal, but in some good ways. The pyro is amazing as always and the 3D mapping was nice. It is mainly at the start of the show when they carve out the rocks, but I am sure they will add more effects as the years go on. The new sound system will blow you away... AT 50% it was filling the park. It is awesome and in suroundsound too!

Ryan

Edited by RyanGsatMCO