TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

I am going here in January. The only days I can make it work to go are Saturday January 11th or Sunday January 12th. I am wondering if any of you Texas locals or others who are familiar with the park can give me any advice? Is this the first year Fiesta Texas is running year long? Do you think I will need a flash pass on either of these days? Any advice is welcome! This will be a first time for me at this park.

I am going here in January. The only days I can make it work to go are Saturday January 11th or Sunday January 12th. I am wondering if any of you Texas locals or others who are familiar with the park can give me any advice? Is this the first year Fiesta Texas is running year long? Do you think I will need a flash pass on either of these days? Any advice is welcome! This will be a first time for me at this park.

2nd year, they went "year round" in 2019.

if you have to choose between those two days (unless you are going both), for certain choose Sunday - and be there at park open.

Texans are *really* big into Church, and on a Sunday, the park will not get crowded until ~2pm (post Church bump).

So if park opens at 10 or 11, you can get in quite a bit of riding, without needing Flash Pass.

keep in mind:

1) the waterpark will NOT be open in January, so that's one whole "land" that will be closed off - a "land" that drains a lot of folks into it, during the hot summer months. So you likely will see lines on things that most often during Summer won't have long lines.

2) the new ride won't be up and running yet, but this might work in your favor, as the new ride is going to draw tons of folks right over to the Iron Rattler area. . .

3) depending when in Jan you are going? and you're going early Jan. . so expect remnants of Holiday in the Park to still be around, meaning that not all rides will be operating (tho SFFT does typically run most all the big rides thruout HitP).

have fun, and make sure to check calendar to ensure times/dates they are open.

San Antonio is a large city. Lots of Military there too.

so yeah, post Church, it will attract folks.

Likely not PACKED like you are thinking, but busy.

if you want to get multiple ride on Wonder Woman, Iron Rattler, Poltergeist, or Joker? then I'd suggest pay for the Flash Pass (Wonder Woman & Poltergeist have horrible capacity), IR is super popular, and Joker is the newest.. so those all end up with long lines always.

but if you're ok with 1 or 2 rides on them during your day? I'd probably not bother with Flash Pass. . especially if you hit those early on Sunday for multiple rides before the park gets busy.

I would be happy getting a ride on each coaster once or twice. So hopefully Flash pass won't be needed. With that said, is there a particular strategy to conquering this park? I am definitely looking forward to Wonder Woman, Joker, Poltergeist, IR, Batman, and Superman. I haven't ridden one of this massive pendulum swings or a S&S Free spin so those will be fun hopefully. I also have not ridden a Raptor so there are a lot of firsts. My only RMC so far has been Lightning Rod so IR will likely be a new experience as well. This park seems to have a lot to offer so I wanna be prepared!

Had a good time here yesterday. We were worried we weren't gonna get the gold upgrade because the deadline was Nov 2 to pick up the pass and almost every weekend in Oct was rainy or cold and windy. Luckily they extended the pick up date!!!!!!

Not sure if this was Fiesta only or chain wide. Gold w/free parking is one main reason I get the season pass, so super lucked out there.

Started out on Poltergeist. One train but everyone was still at church or something. Forgot how fun and smooth this was. Great launch. Next was Golden Lasso. All three trains were running so the wait wan't very bad. Ejector monster still. After that enjoyed a Voodoo Ranger Pumpkin Ale. Went to try out Joker pendulum ride. Ops were running 10 min cycles and I would have bailed if my friend didn't want to ride it so bad. Waited maybe an 1 hr 15 min. Ride was fun and seemed to produce more g forces at the bottom than the one in New England or Dallas. After that we got one final night ride on IR since they closed at 6. and yes IR is still just running one train.

Usually I try to get tons of rides in but was content to just fart around after getting the passes. After getting on 4 rides all day, I think I'll go back to getting a fast pass next time. Once you go fast pass, hr waits are hellish. Worth saving your money for sure, even though it wasn't packed.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got in a visit to the park to rival some of my old SoCal off-season days at Knotts at Magic Mountain. From about 12pm to 3pm today, Fiesta was dead and almost all of the rides were walk-ons. The ops were allowing immediate re-rides, so I got quite a few consecutive laps in on iRat (always amazing), Wonderwoman (rough spots emerging), Superman (as solid as ever), Poltergeist (potholes temporarily filled?), and Road Runner Express (best mine train ever). Several rides didn't open at all today (Sky Screamer and Fireball), and a couple of others were up and down.

Because it was so quiet — surprising, given how beautiful a day it was — I was finally able to get on The Joker. The funhouse queue was a nice touch but (and I couldn't put my finger on what it was) it somehow felt tamer than Crazanity (maybe the rotations?). Rode Hurrican Force 5 for the first time as well. Not something I'd feel compelled to ride again, but the ride experience itself was different to what I was expecting. Boomerang was open today, so I got a ride in on that, too. I don't mind boomerangs and will usually always ride them. This one was pretty smooth with restraints that sat below ear level. Aside from that, it was your standard-fare boomerang.

The place started picking up around 4pm and lines started to emerge, so at that point, I bounced. I'm not as enamored with this park as others (possible a result from being spoiled by the SoCal parks), but I'm glad this one's relatively close to where I'm living right now as I dig a few of the rides. Also, I dropped by that mall right next door and was surprised to see how close several of the coasters get to its parking lot.

IMG_7182.thumb.jpeg.67c96dba3d46ade0e74371e79d54cc9e.jpeg

iRat from Neiman Marcus

• 1 month later...
Has anyone been in January or see a ride closures/winter closures pictures similar to the SFOT thread? Thinking about visiting President's Day weekend, but not interested if iRat or WW is closed.

they tend to keep most everything operating year round, as they tend to do maintenance on stuff during the week when park is open weekends only.

that said, they did just go thru some lengthy downtime/refurbs on Waverunner (Scrambler), Fireball (Larson Loop), Hustler (teacups themed to poolballs), Bug's Rapids (flume), Gully Washer (whitewater rafts) and Superman Krypton Coaster. so I'd be very surprised if any of those are down.

I'd be shocked if anything was "down" for any extended period if you visit in Jan/Feb.

but do keep in mind the wind policy at Fiesta is very strict, so some rides will go down (and then back up maybe) during the day. Typically, rides affected by wind: Poltergeist, Iron Rattler, Superman Krypton Coaster, Goliath (Batman clone) and Batman (S&S Freespin) for coasters. Skyscreamer, and Scream (Drop Tower) for flats.

you'll also see Wonder Woman & Joker go up and down several times thruout the day. They typically get them back up quickly tho.

have fun. . I'll likely be there this weekend for a visit

For what it's worth, I visited (for the first time) on Sunday, December 22nd, and I was extremely impressed with the entire park, top to bottom.

The fact that it was 64 degrees, clear skies, and sunny all day probably helped my mood. But every coaster and major ride was open and running very well it seemed. The only closure I noticed was Sky Screamer. Iron Rattler and Poltergeist were also operating one train, but crowds were pretty minimal all day. I had a fantastic time and was very pleased to see the park fully operational in late-December.

Same goes for SFOT. I understand now that HITP is over, things will change. But my Texas trip was very last minute (planned in less than a week) and I am SO glad I took the extra day to drive down to San Antonio. Outside of the big boys like SFMM and SFGAdv, I think SFFT is my next favorite Six Flags park.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be there on Sun 3/15, hoping to beat the Sunday church crowd but I'm willing to get a fastpass if necessary with only one day available. Looking forward to it since I have heard such nice things about this park and some warmer weather would be nice. I am so sick of the cold and we have at least another 5 weeks or so up here in St Lou.

Bert! I hope we see you and Nick that day!

We will be there on Sun 3/15, hoping to beat the Sunday church crowd but I'm willing to get a fastpass if necessary with only one day available. Looking forward to it since I have heard such nice things about this park and some warmer weather would be nice. I am so sick of the cold and we have at least another 5 weeks or so up here in St Lou.

Bert! I hope we see you and Nick that day!

you KNOW we will be there. . . email to remind me before then tho

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, with our original Texas trip in March cancelled, Coasterstock in May cancelled, and CCon in June cancelled........and things very slowly starting to open back up with unsure success/results; I am thinking/hoping that we may get to reschedule the Texas trip for maybe early August?!? Will be checking in to see what the locals are posting about operations once things do open up again.

I know as of yesterday there was still no word to employees of SFSTl about restarting training but businesses around the park are starting back up so expect to hear something soon.

Got $400 worth of travel funds with SW burning a hole in my pocket

^ of course will keep you in the loop

if things are back open. . should be around - but if things are open, we'll be at Carowinds the week before but SHOULD be back in Texas in August.

Hey Bert! I am very tentatively thinking the first full week of August but of course that will depend on how the parks are doing in the next couple of months. I don't think there will be any issue getting a flight or hotel a little later than normal. Guessing travel will be lower than normal all summer. I will for sure check dates with you before I book.

Unless a ride was already built or very far along in the construction process (ex. Jersey Devil) I can see that happening to several of the new-for-2020 rides. From their perspective, it saves some money in the short term and they can install it in a subsequent season when they can properly market it.

the new attraction has been removed from the site

I think new attractions have been removed from every Six Flags parks website. I checked out several different park sites including Over Texas and Great Adventure, and none of them had anything related to their new rides.

I think it’s a “out of respect” kinda thing. Like, with everything going on the parks don’t want to be like “Oh! Look at us, building a fancy new ride.” - I can see that kind of thing not sitting well with people.

^ DDD is still the header on the park's twitter.

And Fiesta is year round park too (was for a year before Over Texas started)

I agree with Fame. .that's what's going on. . .the ride is still gonna open when the park does. they just aren't gonna be promoting it very much at first. just my take.

I definitely think Jersey Devil and Aquaman are both still on (especially the latter since it will be at a year-round park)....

Ohhh, I’m confident those two will still be opening! (Assuming the parks open this year.) I just feel like the parks are trying to be a little quiet about it right now...

... I agree with Fame. .that's what's going on. . .the ride is still gonna open when the park does. they just aren't gonna be promoting it very much at first. just my take.

Yep! Because you know people would be like “OMG!! That park is spending $x,xxx,xxx on a new ride, but can’t donate to the COVID-19 pandemic!!! OMG! I’m never going there again. They are so heartless.”

So the parks are playing it safe and not promoting new additions right now.

There was some discussion of this on the SFSTl thread in regards to their new ride, Catwoman Whip. A poster who I am pretty sure is a maintenance person at the park posted that there are no plans to scrap already announced rides.

Now, I am a little nervous about next year's plan. It will be SFSTl 50th anniv and there was some hint we would be getting something to celebrate. It was one of the original 3 built from scratch Six Flags. And as Bert knows we have a nice empty spot where Tidal Wave was. Not sure how this closure might affect that.

• 4 weeks later...

I had originally planned a trip to Fiesta Texas/SWSA/ZDT for mid-July. Due to the current state of the world... that's not happening, I still want to take this trip this year, but now on a smaller scale. So the question is: what do people recommend: A weekend mid-October or a weekend in early November?

Either of those, the park will be more crowded, because the Waterpark "land" is closed, so it's not there to drain folks from the dry side of the park.

keeping in mind, any "historic" info is out the window, because who knows how Covid is going to affect the crowds once it opens.

*but*. . . I can tell you Fright Fest tends to draw crowds, especially in the evenings once the haunts open. So between the two? I'd go for November.

either time will be much cooler, than coming over the Summer (tho as noted, the Summer has the waterpark section open, so the dry parts of the park are way less busy, tho it is MUCH hotter).

hope that helps? (and I DO think the parks will be open in July for certain)