TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

Back when it was A Lone Star Christmas 92-95 there was a Christmas Firework and Laser show. In it San Antonio Sam explained how he loved this time of year and what the season was really all about. Then there was a small shout out section to other religious holidays this time of year. I have a VHS some where that I maybe able to dig up.

Ryan

We are trying to put a trip down there over Christmas break. I noticed that Superman won't be open from their Facebook page. Lots of people were asking why but nobody would answer them. They answered everything else, but that one question. SFOT closes down Batman and Mr. Freeze for some unknown reason. It's the great mystery. We're pretty disappointed they are going to have all of them but Superman open. That's one of the best ones out there.

This was posted on our local ABC station. He said it was because he was a male Jew, not anything to do with it being CREEPY for a grown man to go around asking people he doesn't know to let their kids go on a ride with him.

Man challenges Six Flags ban in Texas court

Associated Press

Posted on November 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Updated today at 4:02 PM

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — A 52-year-old Connecticut man banned from Six Flags theme parks nationwide is scheduled to begin making his case to a jury in San Antonio.

Jay Marc Harris, the self-described "Flume Dog," is suing the theme park operator over the ban instituted in 2006. The trial is scheduled to begin Tuesday in Bexar County court.

According to court documents the ban came after Harris asked three women at Six Flags Fiesta Texas if he could take their children on the flume ride.

Harris had spent more than a decade travelling to parks across the country to ride their flumes — log-styled water drops. The San Antonio Express-News reports that the women complained to management.

Harris, who is a Hasidic Jew, argues he was discriminated against based on gender and religion.

___

Information from: San Antonio Express-News

We are trying to put a trip down there over Christmas break. I noticed that Superman won't be open from their Facebook page. Lots of people were asking why but nobody would answer them. They answered everything else, but that one question. SFOT closes down Batman and Mr. Freeze for some unknown reason. It's the great mystery. We're pretty disappointed they are going to have all of them but Superman open. That's one of the best ones out there.

It's due to temperature. Superman cannot run when temperatures fall below 55 degrees, which can be quite common during December.

It's due to temperature. Superman cannot run when temperatures fall below 55 degrees, which can be quite common during December.

Maybe it's my naivety can someone explain the rationale behind this. Vallejo gets down to the low 40's in December with higher wind chill factors than San Antonio and I have only seen Medusa cease operation twice in four years.

The kids and I have always been fairly disappointed with SFFT Holiday in the Park compared to the others. Six Flags Fiesta Texas seems to have the most limited offerings of the three parks that run Holiday in the Park (SFDK, SFFT, and SFOT). SFDK and SFOT Holiday in the Park has been incredibly fun to bring my nieces and nephews, there are lots of amusements for all ages, especially the non-ride entertainment, Christmas dinners, and SNOW!!! We made the mistake of trying of SFFT Holiday in the Park in 2012 after being so impressed with SFDK and SFOT the previous years (last year, we passed on SFFT and just did SFOT). SFFT seemed to literally just open up the front section of the park and place a few ornaments around in comparison (plus Goliath was the only major coaster open, which was odd b/c SFDK and SFOT seems to run majority of their coaster line-up and pull out all the bells and whistles for the same ticket price). The coaster line-up doesn't hurt as much as the lack of planning and theming (literally every corner of SFDK is rethemed down to the minor midways and bathrooms; in some section of SFFT, especially Fiesta Bay Boardwalk, it felt like they didn't even try). The kids were most disappointed in the entertainment options since the bars for SFFT is pretty high (while we weren't expecting holiday dolphin shows or SFOT Mrs. Claus Holiday Dinner show, the entertainment at SFFT for the holiday's really seemed like an afterthought).

I think SFFT will get better at this after a few seasons. The Holiday park offerings seems to be at the other parks seem second nature concept (SFDK has been doing Safeway Snow sledding, holiday food, and entertainment for over 10 years now). I'm sure SFFT will improve as the years pass by.

What? Does water freeze at a higher temperature in Texas? I've never heard of such a high threshold to close a ride. What's the rationale for this?

That's funny because it got down to 48 degrees on Saturday, when I rode it.

I've heard the same rationale for SFOT closing Batman the Ride and Mr. Freeze. Goliath is the same ride as Batman the Ride and is open at SFFT Holiday in the Park. Our home park is SFOT, and we have always loved going to Holiday in the Park, even is we're freezing snot to our faces on Titan at 45 degrees! LOL. The snowhill is way fun and the hot chocolate is hands down the best I have ever had.

See, I never understood why B:TR is closed during HATP, but not Goliath. Plus, SWSA runs their batman clone also. Hmmmm . . . questions, questions, questions. I think that SFFT is getting better in terms of ride selection during HATP now that IRAT is finished and will operate during the winter, and from what I understand, Poltergeist now runs depending on the weather compared to it being completely closed when I went I believe two years ago, and it was cold that day also.

From working superman many years, I can confirm it is stated in the ride's manufacturer standard operating procedures as well as the SOP for the operators that it must not be operated when temps fall below 55 degrees.

After many years of working at theme parks, i can say that many rides, including coasters that are pretty much identical, operate and behave differently when it comes to temperature. Superman does not run very well in cold temps. Sometimes it's scary to watch it crawl through.