TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

I think the Gerstlaur ones are sluggish and lost their speed quickly because of the wheels? I'm assuming steel wheels like on Outlaw Run's trains could run on the I-box track as both top layers are a thin sheet of steel. It would probably be crazy to see how fast the new train could race around NTAG or iRat when it opens!

I think they would have to grease the track to do steel on steel, like wooden coasters do. Its definitely the wheels though, but there are lots of different types they can use if they chose to.

Steel wheels are going to eat at the track so it's going to require replacement eventually. RMC seems to have accounted for this with their topper track as it appears the top layer of steel is fairly easily replaceable. I think for the I-box track there's no serviceable components other than replacing the entire section of welded track.

I am not sure that I understand the purpose of the additional plate on either tracks, but especially the IBox. I feel that it would be the most beneficial and simplistic for both to just be completely prefabricated. So once you install the IBox, you are done. Same with Topper Track. Once you install the actual track, no need for the additional plate. Is there a specific reason for these plates?

The plate may be on top for added smoothness. Any bumbs that are created in the track during fabrication can easily be smoothed over with the plate on top. It also lessens wear on the track and the top plate can just be replaced when it gets worn rather than the entire track. RCM seems to really care about making the track last as long as possible and keep it as smooth as possible.

Interesting. NTAG is already the epitome of a smooth coaster and I can't imagine how they could possibly make it any more so. I wonder how this affects the price of the coaster. All that extra steel and labor probably contributed to the cost, explaining how this is costing about the same as NTAG.

^Although extra labor is most certainly a big cost, I'd imagine the location of this ride has also caused a much higher price tag in proportion to NTaG. Building on the side of a quarry is going to be far more expensive for various reasons than building on flat land.

These RMC rides are so amazing looking. It's like we have finally reached the point where we can build those crazy rides we've all dreamed of. The shaping of elements and the pacing is so insane that they set themselves apart from any other rides out there. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long before I get to ride one.

*Please let this be done to Mean Streak*

I think they are on Gen 2 of I box track. The added top has the plate I would imagine for RMC own trains that would allow for easy replacement. That is just my guess and observations.

Now that makes sense. Looking at NTAG you can see there isn't a top layer of steel: http://rcdb.com/2.htm?p=29291

iRat on the other hand is different. It doesn't have the bolt plates (lol) and will have a top layer of steel added:

Thanks for the sanity check. I was almost positive NTAG didn't have additional bolted-on sheet metal.