TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

Damn that first drop is just freakin amazing. Today I got an update email from Six Flags.........

Update: Iron Rattler

Production news about our all-new attraction

Connect With Us

The process has begun for constructing the all-new Iron Rattler. In fact, you may be able to see new pieces of track sticking out above the quarry walls. We’ve started working on key elements that are vital to the construction of this massive 18-story coaster. Here are some highlights from the construction of the new ride.

We first selected the contractor who will build the state-of-the-art steel Iron Horse Track. Rocky Mountain Construction Group will establish the foundation and support of the ride. This group also helped design the legendary and award-winning New Texas Giant at Six Flags Over Texas.

Construction crews had to disassemble the classic wooden Rattler and remove portions of the original track. Then, using the same wooden substructure, contractors began assembling the new steel track on top of the wooden supports. Builders had to evaluate the old frame structure to determine where to precisely place the new pieces of track so the ride will maintain stability and fly smoothly.

Currently, the track is about 35 percent complete. The first visual feature you may notice is the 81-degree, 171-foot-tall lift hill. As the coaster begins to take form, the next element workers will build will be the Zero-G Barrel Roll that flips riders completely upside—the first of any hybrid coaster—and two of the four extreme over-banked turns—the most of any roller coaster in the world—that will extend past the quarry wall.

A lot of hard work goes into making the Iron Rattler an intense and extreme experience. As the newest staple of the Six Flags Fiesta Texas skyline, riders will fly through four over-banked turns, a camelback airtime hill, an 81-degree 171-foot near-vertical drop, and a Zero-G Barrel Roll at 70 miles per hour. The new Iron Rattler will be steeper, taller, faster, and smoother than ever before, and truly a record-breaking experience.

The new Iron Rattler is moving forward and on schedule for completion in late spring. Are you ready to take on this slithering attraction?

I think this publication is a tad bit behind cause it says that iRat is only about 35% complete but it seems to be a lot further along than that. It also says completion will be late Spring. Hmmm....I'd say at the rate they're going maybe an opening in Mid April??? or Anyone think they my hold out to "late Spring" and do Memorial Day weekend???

Having kept track with intense interest, I remember SFOT advertised NTAG as opening in "late spring," but it really opened in late April. So there is a chance it simply means "not early spring."

Funny how I've been to SFFT, ridden Rattler, and yet still I keep being surprised by just how photogenic this coaster is.

OK TPR, I got the go-ahead from my boss to post these pics, hope you enjoy them........also, as much as I hate to say it, I havent seen any pictures that do this ride justice. You cant capture the pure massiveness of this coaster, unless you're standing right next to it. It's truly amazing!!! Even the guys on the crew comment almost daily about how awesome this thing is gonna be. Coming from people that actually build these rides, as a career, that HAS to tell you something.

25jan13_1.thumb.jpg.e180e397be8b1ccdf0246086b44814c2.jpg

from top of the cliff, under the final drop into tunnel

26jan13_1.thumb.jpg.b429a234a30a851357b1ebe3c595057f.jpg

dont need to tell you this location...haha

01161102.thumb.jpg.d935dc608dfb01572f36f2ef58068e40.jpg

...from barrel roll at left, this is what replaces the helix

01161102a.thumb.jpg.e36e50f1757a90ff92f0031ea30dfabc.jpg

...and so on...

01161103.thumb.jpg.53e55aeca13a73726b5b67fcbb3abb0e.jpg

...and so on...

01161103a.thumb.jpg.0b9858d126de7147333f1889a20dc180.jpg

...and so on...

01170712a.thumb.jpg.35ac4100320d7074b637e61b8107f2ae.jpg

even though this pic doesnt how much detail, its one of my faves

^Yeah I can't wait to ride it this summer. I'm wondering how this bank right here will feel since it is facing out but turning in rather than other traditional turns. I've never been on a ride that has done something like that. The only thing similar I can think of is the odd outward turn on Steel Hawg.

Edited by Zem