TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

^^^ I agree. They're not perfect (it's still Six Flags afterall) but SFFT is a cut above the rest of the parks in the chain when it comes to theming and retaining the different themed sections of the park.

It's great to see that SFFT's rides actually fit the theme of the area they are in. I see many parks not following the themes of their areas such as Firefall (CGA) in a 50s themed area and Apocalypse (SFMM) in a harbor themed area.

This ride just keeps looking better! I'm really loving how nice the drop looks, with that subtle twist happening, so sharp and sexy.

I can't wait to see how this ride stacks up to NTAG (airtime wise), and can't wait to ride NTAG again! Technically this is going to be the Texas-Midwest tour's first inverting "wood/hybrid" coaster. It's going to be a good summer of RMC love.

I do have a feeling that I'll really enjoy this park.

Free Fall Into Quarry Tunnel

Great, now Six Flags is getting on the "psycoaster" bandwagen.

I'm not sure if that was sarcasm or seriousness...you do know that "free fall" means 0 Gs and not necessarily a "brake-freefall drop-launch" like on Polar Xplorer and Verbolten, right?

Free Fall Into Quarry Tunnel

Great, now Six Flags is getting on the "psycoaster" bandwagen.

I'm not sure if that was sarcasm or seriousness...you do know that "free fall" means 0 Gs and not necessarily a "brake-freefall drop-launch" like on Polar Xplorer and Verbolten, right?

Definitely sarcasm.

Maybe I need to make these things more clear.

Edited by Randomman295

^Why did you just quote the previous comments. The tunnel really will just have lighting on the sidee rather than lasers, sound, and other such effects on some rides. They are still keeping the spirit of the rattler but making it a more enjoyable and updated ride. I wish it would be a longer ride as they will be wasting a large amount of speed. The original rattler had a longer layout with much more friction so it seems that they could've added more to the ride. Mabye this has to do with increasing the riders per hour.

I hadn't seen any high quality scans of this, so I figured I would scan and post this "one sheet" that Fiest Texas' Jeff Siebert passed out at this years ACE No Coaster Con:

523296_288476851277954_833684738_n.jpg

It seems the official page of the new coaster is down right now, but check out the snakeskin background: http://content.sixflags.com/newfor2013/fiestatexas/iron-rattler/ very cool!

I like how the headline says "ultra smooth." The Rattler must have been well named (and not inspired by snakes). I cannot remember seeing an ad for a coaster that prominently highlighted it is "smooth" -- the old version must really have been bad. (I haven't been to SFFT.)

the old version must really have been bad. (I haven't been to SFFT.)

It was brutal. The front row was tolerable, so that was the only row I would ever ride in. I have however had to ride a few back before, and it was brutal. Just plain brutal. I rode it with a close friend once, and of actually began to rattle the straps of her shirt off her shoulders at the bottom of the first drop. It is the roughest woodie I've been on by far.

I like how the headline says "ultra smooth." The Rattler must have been well named (and not inspired by snakes). I cannot remember seeing an ad for a coaster that prominently highlighted it is "smooth" -- the old version must really have been bad. (I haven't been to SFFT.)

Have you been on NTAG? After my first ride on it, my first words were "that was so smooth". The iron horse treatment will make it very smooth compared to the old ride. So I don't blame them for advertising that it will be smooth.

^Why did you just quote the previous comments. The tunnel really will just have lighting on the sidee rather than lasers, sound, and other such effects on some rides. They are still keeping the spirit of the rattler but making it a more enjoyable and updated ride. I wish it would be a longer ride as they will be wasting a large amount of speed. The original rattler had a longer layout with much more friction so it seems that they could've added more to the ride. Mabye this has to do with increasing the riders per hour.

The old layout went into circles at the top of the cliff forever. This layout took that boring circles part out and added amazing turns thus you cut off like half the old ride. Not to mention this time the coaster will be hauling butt through the whole ride so of course the ride time is shorter.

This new hybrid coaster uses Iron Horse steel track on the wooden superstructure...

Really? Really? Six Flags messes it up on their own marketing too?!?

Is going to www.rockymtnconstruction.com and looking straight on the front page really that difficult?

This is beginning to frustrate me more than my never-dying "Wing Coasters are two credits" argument...

This new hybrid coaster uses Iron Horse steel track on the wooden superstructure...

Really? Really? Six Flags messes it up on their own marketing too?!?

They kinda sorta get kudos for using the word "hybrid" before any of us have really discussed the hybrid category. You know, steel, wood, hybrid. To most of us, it's clearly a steel coaster.

El Toro, on the other hand, is a hybrid with it's large steel track joints and nylon wheels (Just stirring the pot a bit; we're all here to have fun.) To me, it's getting to the point of "if it makes it a good ride - it doesn't matter what we call it." Are the topper tracked coasters like Outlaw Run hybrid? It's more of a woodie, but...

American Eagle was the first real hybrid I knew of. It was the first woodie to get metal I-beams (from half way down the first drop to the top of the big helix). Colossus then had them put on all over - along with some other steel weirdness. Texas Giant was built with I-beams on the first drop.

Is going to www.rockymtnconstruction.com and looking straight on the front page really that difficult?

^I think I might be missing your point here...

This is beginning to frustrate me more than my never-dying "Wing Coasters are two credits" argument...

Geez, are people really doing that? Anyone remember when Intamin first generation free falls were being counted as coaster credits? I had a funny thought recently... The Wonder Wheel has those cars that ride on a track - so aren't those each a different coaster? So Wonder Wheel has 16 different credits available! And a Zipper is one long coaster train with free spinning 4D cars - so there is another credit! (I'm not being serious, just having fun.) The only person that really cares how many coasters I have ridden is me. And maybe my mom And my friends who don't know anything about coasters.

It flew right over your head, dude.

Everyone calls the steel track that Texas Giant and Rattler use "Iron Horse", when Rocky Mountain calls it "I-Box" on their website and in their marketing material, and for that reason it drives me crazy whenever someone says "iron horse". Kind of like how people call B&M Wing Coasters "wing riders".

I could care less about the hybrid coaster debate. I have less-important things to argue about!

I just call it "the-steel-track-that-replaced-the-wood-track" because I'm the only coaster do attic in my family, and if I ever user the word I-box, they would think I was referring to a calculator, or an 'idiot box'.

I've heard both ways, the official term is I-box, but the slang term I guess you could say is iron horse, and I could have sworn that I've heard it said with some interviews with RMC. As for wingrides... Um, no. Wing Coaster.

"Iron Horse" was the original name of the iBox track. At least that's what I remember in some of those older IAAPA interviews and from press releases, info, etc when Texas Giant was being converted.

You could say its sorta like a project codename (kinda like what software companies use for future projects).