TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

Superman, has long had the tallest loop. and has been ranked "fastest stand-up coaster"

Are you sure there?

Superman is a floorless coaster by the way and I would say that it is the signature ride at SFFT.

MAJOR brain -&$^%, i DID mean floorless. And I had just ridden it the day b4....lmao...not sure about current, but I do know that for a long while the 145' loop was the tallest

Just wanted to hop in on all of the Rattler talk. I seem to be in the minority here, but I honestly love the coaster. Sure, it was a lot better in years past, but I still find it to be an enjoyable ride. That being said, I've been anxiously awaiting a refurb ever since they first announced NTAG. Growing up, Rattler was always my favorite coaster (and still my 2nd favorite at SFFT) and now that I've seen the absolutely breath-taking things that RMC did to NTAG, I am practically pissing myself with excitement over the thought of a refurbished Rattler. I go to the park a few times a week, so I will be on the lookout for any developments happening after the 5th.

EDIT: Stopped by the park tonight for an hour. I noticed that they've started a countdown in front of Rattler.

^ I wonder if they will announce something after 10 days. The Rattler is closed but now its time for NEW Rattler and perhaps show off a picture or video. At least now I have a reason to go back to SFFT soon.

I'm sure that contruction is going to begin very soon after the 5th. They don't have a very large window of time to finish the renovation, so I defintely don't think they're going to wait around until they make an official announcement. My guess is that they will start "tearing it down" starting with all of the elements that are getting redone. Six Flags usually makes their new ride/attraction announcements in September, so I doubt that we will hear anything official about the renovation until then.

The Wall Street Journal had a profile of Six Flags engineer Larry Chickola ("Mastermind of the Mega-Coaster," October 29, 2011) that was largely focused on the construction of New Texas Giant. A photo included in the article showed his engineering calculator and a sketchbook with drawings of a drop over a cliff. The Rattler wasn't mentioned but the drawing couldn't be for any other ride. The "current profile" is shown along with Option A and Option B. Option B is listed as "max thrill - get close to cliff wall - big surprise running over cliff - my preference."

I'm sure that contruction is going to begin very soon after the 5th. They don't have a very large window of time to finish the renovation, so I defintely don't think they're going to wait around until they make an official announcement. My guess is that they will start "tearing it down" starting with all of the elements that are getting redone. Six Flags usually makes their new ride/attraction announcements in September, so I doubt that we will hear anything official about the renovation until then.

I live about 3 minutes from the park, I will do my best to document the construction(from La Cantara) as I can.

I live about 3 minutes from the park, I will do my best to document the construction(from La Cantara) as I can.

Haha, sounds like a plan. I only live about 5 minutes away, myself, so I plan on doing my fair share of construction-creeping as well.

Creeping on NRAT is going to be great. So many vantage points around the outside of the park to "legally" creep from. I'm sure construction is going to start pretty fast if they're expecting to have it open by 2013. If April 2013 is their target, they've got 8 months.....but they can always pull a SFMM and SFDK and open it in June or July. LOL j/j I guess we'll just have to see

^ LOL. I think Skyscreamer opened in May this year, right? Hopefully we'll see the coaster finished before the park gets too busy later in the season. For the past few years, I could go to SFFT on any weekday and have 85% of the rides be a walk on. I've noticed that the park has been a lot busier this year. I've seen 30-45 minute wait times on Rattler in the middle of the week. Seeing as I'm selfish and want NRAT all to myself, I hope that I get a chance to ride it before the lines are too bad.

Also, sorry to go off-topic, but are you the same ArizonaGuy that posts on SFFTnet?

^ LOL. I think Skyscreamer opened in May this year, right? Hopefully we'll see the coaster finished before the park gets too busy later in the season. For the past few years, I could go to SFFT on any weekday and have 85% of the rides be a walk on. I've noticed that the park has been a lot busier this year. I've seen 30-45 minute wait times on Rattler in the middle of the week. Seeing as I'm selfish and want NRAT all to myself, I hope that I get a chance to ride it before the lines are too bad.

Also, sorry to go off-topic, but are you the same ArizonaGuy that posts on SFFTnet?

Yeh Sky Screamer opened Memorial Day weekend I believe or around that general time frame. I remember back in the mid to late 90's when I worked at the park and we had some pretty huge crowds at times. Back in 1997, RoadRunner Express didn't open until the beginning of July(should have been May but there were issues with the lift hill motors).......and on July 4th it didn't open until around 7:00pm that night because of some technical issues with control panel.

I havent been to the park in years but if NRAT opens up next year, I'll be there for sure. And yes....I'm Arizonaguy from the sfftnet.com website. I like to keep it streamlined.

Yeh Sky Screamer opened Memorial Day weekend I believe or around that general time frame. I remember back in the mid to late 90's when I worked at the park and we had some pretty huge crowds at times. Back in 1997, RoadRunner Express didn't open until the beginning of July(should have been May but there were issues with the lift hill motors).......and on July 4th it didn't open until around 7:00pm that night because of some technical issues with control panel.(I was working Rattler panel that day)

I havent been to the park in years but if NRAT opens up next year, I'll be there for sure. And yes....I'm Arizonaguy from the sfftnet.com website. I like to keep it streamlined.

Went to the park yesterday evening and took a ride on the Rattler. In the helix, I saw what looked to be surveying equipment along with a couple of piles of wood. It's getting close!

I went Sunday, I didn't see any surveying equipment (maybe I wasn't paying attention to what was inside the helix), but I did see piles of wood along the outside the helix!!

Picture was taken on Sunday!

197781595_1bdb3f86d9ea11e1a5a31231381b3f77_7(1).jpg.56e55c0b0ad82bf6c7d1fe0f300866ac.jpg

^ I am not saying your not right or anything, but on July 10 I did see something in the middle but I thought it was a large water sprinkler to water the grass or the coaster. I was discussing on another website that I also saw sprinkler heads all along the track and so I said I assumed that they water the coaster to cool it down when it gets to hot outside, even whatever was in the middle of the helix. So on Sunday I wasn't to busy to see a sprinkler in the middle of the helix but was busy to see how many piles of wood where there. And I counted 3 piles, if I remember!

This is the only picture of the sprinkler I could find that assembles what I thought it was. But the one at the park has white supports...

18974502_BG1.jpg.5c34ba90217a3c6432d7e7e59ddc853b.jpg

^ Okay, this kind of thing just boils my blood. The funny thing is, this isn't the first complaint of this type that I have heard from that park. I really have nothing more to say other than if this is the way they treat customers, they can forget me ever visiting that dump, I don't care what they do with rattler.