TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

My money goes on the Iron Horse treatment. I don't know how much they could do with topper track with a ride with a layout like this, especially if they're going to all out shut it down and everything. It's going to be so interesting to see another major overhaul!

I'm on the vacoaster team, have been since day one. If we're going to see another loop on a woodie (or at least a pseudo-woodie, but whatever) then I think this might be it!

I wonder if they'll announce everything in August, or if they'll build without releasing a layout like they did for NTAG?

I'd love to see RMC do a loop with the Iron Horse track but use only wooden supports, it would have some of the best head choppers in the world, not to mention look completely mental.

I thought about this idea. It would probably just look like a bunch of wood scaffolding or something, like a wooden cage holding in the loop. That's have some pretty good hand-choppers too

I don't care for inversions with this make-over, but I feel like RMC can do SO much on the first drop and everything afterward. I've watched the 1992 pov of this ride so many times, and it looks like the coaster may me returned to its former glory, I'm really excited!

Here's a news story from the San Antonio Express News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Fiesta-Texas-famed-Rattler-is-going-silent-3694324.php#photo-3173937

The Rattler won't be rolling any more after Aug. 5.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas announced Monday that its landmark wooden roller coaster — once billed as the fastest and tallest wooden coaster in the world — will carry its last rider that day.

What, if anything, will replace the 20-year-old ride was not something Fiesta Texas officials would discuss Monday.

“All I can say is, it will be going away on Aug. 5,” park spokeswoman Sydne Purvis said. “That's all I can tell you.”

The ride, a nearly mile-long, 180-foot-high structure of Douglas fir tracks and southern yellow pine supports, is one of Fiesta Texas' signature features. It was the park's only adult roller coaster when it opened in March 1992.

So highly anticipated was the ride when the park opened that visitors waited in line for as many as three hours to take their seats and then got back in line for another turn. It has won thousands of fans over the years “It's one of the few coasters that literally scared me,” said David Lipnicky, public relations director for American Coaster Enthusiasts and a Grand Prairie resident who was there when the ride began and has come back for more thrills every year since. “That original, first drop was the single best (coaster) element I've ever experienced.”

But the Rattler's bite was a bit too hard, according to some of the park's guests.

The 166-foot drop after the ride started and the curves that pulled riders with up to 3.5 G's of gravitational force were blamed for a variety of neck, back and shoulder injuries that led to lawsuits by dozens of riders. Park signs warned riders that the Rattler was “an aggressive, high-speed, physically demanding” attraction that might not be best for pregnant women and people with heart, spine or back problems.

By the 1994 season, the ride was toned down. Its top speed went from 73 mph to 65 mph, and its first drop was shortened.

At the time, Fiesta Texas officials denied that the changes were the result of allegations in the lawsuits. In 1998, the park reached settlements worth $3.54 million in lawsuits representing 27 plaintiffs.

Purvis said the lawsuits have long been resolved and had no bearing on the closing of the ride.

She said the park wanted the Rattler's many fans to know when it would be closing so they had time to ride it one more time.

“It's kind of the end of an era,” she said.

Howard Gillooly, the preservation director for the coaster enthusiasts organization, said it's always sad to see a wooden coaster close, and he predicted that fans would make a trip to San Antonio to take one last ride on the Rattler before it's gone.

Wooden coasters are being replaced by steel coasters in the amusement park industry but have not disappeared altogether, industry officials said. Richard Munch, a member of the National Roller Coaster Museum and Archives board and a founder of the coaster enthusiasts organization, said wooden coasters have not been easy to maintain in the Texas heat. But they continue to be built in Northern states and in other parts of the world, including China, he said.

The most recent census by the Roller Coaster DataBase showed that the United States had 113 wooden coasters and 509 steel coasters.

Munch was surprised by Monday's announcement because he believed the Rattler was in line for refurbishment. He and Lipnicky said they hope Six Flags replaces the ride with another coaster or something that provides the same kind of thrills the Rattler did.

Even after the Rattler was toned down, fans still thought it was an exciting ride.

“It was a wooden coaster, and it was a pretty long ride — one of the longest coasters I've ever been on,” said Andrew Cobb, a Texas State University student who grew up in San Antonio. “I'll miss it.”

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Fiesta-Texas-famed-Rattler-is-going-silent-3694324.php#ixzz20Bwjy3Zm

Edited by ArizonaGuy

Before refurb.

It definetly was an absolutely insane ride before, and I can definetly see it as a marketing point or even just a reason to do the Iron Horse treatment, to say "Hey look, we killed the ride before but we're gonna make it kickass again!"

^^

The 1992 version was great. I rode it my sophomore year in high school and the first drop was amazing as well as the 2nd drop into the tunnel. Love how there were no trims on the way in or out of the helix.

I can't wait to see what they do with the it.

Bit of a bummer that this is it for the classic (for lack of better words) version of Rattler, rough ride or not. Way back when I was just starting to take an interest in coasters (before I had an rcdb, Coasterbuzz, TPR etc.), I would hit up the various websites of Six Flags parks to see what they had to offer. Rattler was one of them that caught my eye, but to this day I haven't been anywhere near Texas. Whatever they end up doing to it (based on the Texas Giant renovation) I trust that it will be great.

That said, please God don't let them do this to American Eagle.

I rode it in 1995 (after the drop was shortened and the 7 car Morgan trains were replaced with 5 car PTCs) and that first drop still scared the crap outta me. I think it was the way it went to the right, then left then right again (or vice versa, can't think now)... plus it had/has that gradual get steeper the further you go down that we don't see on many coasters (Texas Giant had it, American Eagle still has it - which I rode twice today ). I prefer that over the "tilt down and plunge" drops that started with Magnum and are on every wooden coaster now... If no other reason simply because they are different than most of what's out there.

Rattler caused all kinds of issues. John Pierce left the industry after that mess. I remember in an interview he talked about all the issues the ride caused, even harming his family. Then the story how the ride height was suddenly raised 30 feet (hence we ended up originally with a pull out that was way too tight for that height of drop) or something b/c they wanted the highest after Mean Streak, etc. a whole jaded wild crazy coaster history, indeed.

I look forward to seeing the *New Rattler* rise. I never understood that helix. I mean one, maybe two times around, but three? It was ridiculous.

I'm praying soooo hard right now that this is the start of a refurb, and not the END. TRULY, the 92-93 version was the best of all. Its too bad so many illiterate wusses (read the WARNING signs Y'all) couldnt handle a REAL ride. So many redo's and "patches" to this once exciting and fun ride have really made it worse. The only exception is the Topper Track section in the fan-turn, you can really feel the difference of TT vs. original. I remember we were told on our NTaG trip that Rattler was supposed to get the "RMC Treatment". I just hope that that little section of Topper wasnt it. We've already lost ONE great wooden coaster in San Antonio (The Rocket), would hate to lose this one as well. Gonna go ride this weekend, and every weekend till the 5th, just in case................

P.S. after watching Robb's IAAPA video, I get the feeling that the Topper ride will be the one here. It also just dawned on me that the Wagon Wheel ride which was right next to the Rattler which was closed at the beginning of this season is now GONE. Its location is directly in line with the brake run entering the Rattler's station...........hmmmmmmm.........could be making room for some more/better post-helix elements on the new version.

Bit of a bummer that this is it for the classic (for lack of better words) version of Rattler, rough ride or not

Ride it and then say that.

In its current state, it really is a POS. I usually don't bash coasters, but this ride hurt like a b*tch this past June. The only other ride I felt like this when getting off of was Predator at Darien lake a couple years ago. ...Enough said.

I'm sorry, but either give it the full NTAG treatment or burn it down.

^Because it is getting a massive refurb that is going to take more than a general off season. And the park totally knows it, and I suppose they're letting the news talk about how it's leaving so that they can "revive" it and have it "strike again" when they announce the overhaul. And that's my marketing master's degree talking right there.

Sidenote, I don't have a master's degree. In anything.

^Because it is getting a massive refurb that is going to take more than a general off season. And the park totally knows it, and I suppose they're letting the news talk about how it's leaving so that they can "revive" it and have it "strike again" when they announce the overhaul. And that's my marketing master's degree talking right there.

Sidenote, I don't have a master's degree. In anything.

According by the Alvey/Schike interview at IAAPA, both of RMC's 2013 rides are all new, no refurbs or redos. One is a TT project w/ steel wheels, the other is an IHT w/ poly wheels. So yeah, the word is out there, just underground a little bit. I'm going to the park today and try some snooping around.

In other breaking news: SFFT announces that the kiddie coaster in Kidzoplis will be renamed "Garter Snake" in memory of it's big brother....lmao

I was under the impression that at IAAPA, RMC said that they were working on one completely original project and one Iron Horse makeover, a la NTAG. Silver Dollar City is getting the original with Topper Track, and it seems as though Fiesta Texas is getting the total makeover.

Im gonna watch the interview again, to make sure my feeble old mind aint playin tricks, but I was perty sure he said both are NEW, one TT, one IH. Is that confirmed about SDC gettin TT?

According to this article, it's a permanent closure:

Fiesta Texas' famed Rattler is going silent

The Rattler won't be rolling any more after Aug. 5.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas announced Monday that its landmark wooden roller coaster — once billed as the fastest and tallest wooden coaster in the world — will carry its last rider that day.

What, if anything, will replace the 20-year-old ride was not something Fiesta Texas officials would discuss Monday.

“All I can say is, it will be going away on Aug. 5,” park spokeswoman Sydne Purvis said. “That's all I can tell you.”

The ride, a nearly mile-long, 180-foot-high structure of Douglas fir tracks and southern yellow pine supports, is one of Fiesta Texas' signature features. It was the park's only adult roller coaster when it opened in March 1992.

So highly anticipated was the ride when the park opened that visitors waited in line for as many as three hours to take their seats and then got back in line for another turn. It has won thousands of fans over the years.

“It's one of the few coasters that literally scared me,” said David Lipnicky, public relations director for American Coaster Enthusiasts and a Grand Prairie resident who was there when the ride began and has come back for more thrills every year since. “That original, first drop was the single best (coaster) element I've ever experienced.”

But the Rattler's bite was a bit too hard, according to some of the park's guests.

The 166-foot drop after the ride started and the curves that pulled riders with up to 3.5 G's of gravitational force were blamed for a variety of neck, back and shoulder injuries that led to lawsuits by dozens of riders.

Park signs warned riders that the Rattler was “an aggressive, high-speed, physically demanding” attraction that might not be best for pregnant women and people with heart, spine or back problems.

By the 1994 season, the ride was toned down. Its top speed went from 73 mph to 65 mph, and its first drop was shortened.

At the time, Fiesta Texas officials denied that the changes were the result of allegations in the lawsuits. In 1998, the park reached settlements worth $3.54 million in lawsuits representing 27 plaintiffs.

Purvis said the lawsuits have long been resolved and had no bearing on the closing of the ride.

She said the park wanted the Rattler's many fans to know when it would be closing so they had time to ride it one more time.

“It's kind of the end of an era,” she said.

Howard Gillooly, the preservation director for the coaster enthusiasts organization, said it's always sad to see a wooden coaster close, and he predicted that fans would make a trip to San Antonio to take one last ride on the Rattler before it's gone.

Wooden coasters are being replaced by steel coasters in the amusement park industry but have not disappeared altogether, industry officials said. Richard Munch, a member of the National Roller Coaster Museum and Archives board and a founder of the coaster enthusiasts organization, said wooden coasters have not been easy to maintain in the Texas heat. But they continue to be built in Northern states and in other parts of the world, including China, he said.

The most recent census by the Roller Coaster DataBase showed that the United States had 113 wooden coasters and 509 steel coasters.

Munch was surprised by Monday's announcement because he believed the Rattler was in line for refurbishment. He and Lipnicky said they hope Six Flags replaces the ride with another coaster or something that provides the same kind of thrills the Rattler did.

Even after the Rattler was toned down, fans still thought it was an exciting ride.

“It was a wooden coaster, and it was a pretty long ride — one of the longest coasters I've ever been on,” said Andrew Cobb, a Texas State University student who grew up in San Antonio. “I'll miss it.”

Source

I don't think they'd just take down the whole structure unless they had to. In terms of the "All I can say is, it will be going away on Aug. 5", I perceive it means the "Classic wooden coaster Rattler" is going away (maybe to be replaced by the steel coaster Rattler ). It's a bit confusing though, that's just how I see it.