TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

Rattler... this ride is going to haunt me to the end of my days.

The fact that I had to wait 30 minutes for an RCCA creation already had me anxious. The squeal of the track as the cars lazily made their way around the final turnaround was bringing back horrible thoughts of my most recent encounter with the train, but then came the end of the queue where it was so illustriously spelled out to me that unlike every other ride we had ridden today, Rattler had assigned seating. Well, at that point I started praying to the coaster gods that they would put me up in the front half. I didn't need the front seat. Just please, anything but the back. And so the coaster gods heard my pleas... and ignored them as I took my seat at the back of the last car on the right. Now I am just praying this is like Mean Streak or Hurler, or some other coaster I thought was going to be the worst coaster experience of my life that, while they were bad, did not leave me crying. Rattler, as you are all no doubt aware, provides no such mercy.

I was already bracing with my hands clasping the bar in front of me, hoping to whatever god could hear me that I was going to come out of this alive. As the car jackhammered its way out of the station, my heart followed in time. As the track curved downward to the lift hill, the train grew more violent, and screeched like a banshee in my ears. As we hit the chain, I turned to one of my friends and asked him why he wanted to ride this so bad. I've never been more terrified of a single roller coaster, while on the roller coaster, in my entire life. He assured me it would be fine. Then came the drop. I felt like I was being shaken up like a can of paint at Home Depot as it bottomed out and swung us up into the large diving helix. The drop downward had the rails screeching so high and loud I thought my eardrums were going to burst. Wasn't there supposed to be topper track on this ride? Where is the topper track?! All I could feel was pain! Then we went up into the triple helix.

Rattler's triple helix is the worst roller coaster element that ever existed.

The jackhammering was awful, the repetition was ungodly, and the screeching of the rails had become so bad I had to cover my ears which made the jackhammering worse as, being on the right side of the train, my body was being thrown to the right, toward the supports, which just made it all the more unnerving. When it finally spit us out onto the MCRB, my friend noticed a camera. I flipped it the bird so fast I didn't even think of the consequences until we dropped out into the quarry tunnel where, again, I had to put my hands over my ears just to make the excruciatingly awful screeching bearable. Finally, we were spit out once more into the flyby and final turnaround into the break where all I could say was "make it stop! for the love of god, someone make it stop!" and when it did, I was crying. This ride was so bad, so painful, so excruciating, it made me cry. I honestly don't know why I didn't punch the ride operator getting off. As it stands, this coaster is only useful as a US Government-sanctioned interrogation device or as firewood, and if RMC doesn't convert it, I suggest one of those two methods be put in place immediately.

It's a good thing that you came in with an open mind.

Yeah, Rattler as it is now won't be around for very long me thinks

But it will be very interesting to see what they do with it!!! Can't wait.

I totally agree. The biggest thing I'm praying for is bulldozing the helix and redesign the middle part of the ride completely. In anycase, we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully they announce something soon!

• 2 weeks later...

LAST CHANCE TO RIDE THE RATTLER

Get out to Six Flags Fiesta Texas to experience the classic wooden coaster through nearly a mile of high-speed turns, looping twists and breathtaking drops as The Ratter prepares for last riders on Sunday, August 5!

Edited by robbalvey

Just my luck! I just rode it this past Saturday! (July 7th)

I was always hearing that this ride was closing, so I wanted to give it one last ride. Sadly, I waited over an hour for it, and it broke down. We waited through and finally got to sit in the front. Was it worth it? No. Does the ride suck? Pretty much. I was just glad to give it one last spin before it leaves.

^ lol. A friend of mine rode it during a Coaster Con ERT session. It was his 300th coaster.

He pulled into the station, got out of the train, smiled broadly and said, "THREE HUNDRED! WOOOO!" I said, "did you like it?" and he said, "no, it sucked."

is it "leaving" or being re-furbed?

I can't imagine they would pull the only Wooden coaster out of Fiesta, Tx.

All we know is that RMC said that they had a project at FT. Now we know that Rattler is done as of next month.

Everything beyond that is merely speculation, but it seems a safe bet to say that the two items are related.

Now... will it be a makeover with topper track (and seeing the SDC monster going up, that wouldn't be a bad thing), a makeover with Iron Horse track (NTGiant turned out great, after all), or will they just TAER IT DOWN and build something new there?

Let the speculation begin.

as others have said, the Helix has always been terribly boring.

and the ride just hasn't been much fun (for YEARS and YEARS now) ever since they re-did the 1st drop.

but I'd love for them to keep most of the ride, and do something instead of that helix.

is it "leaving" or being re-furbed?

I can't imagine they would pull the only Wooden coaster out of Fiesta, Tx.

My understanding is that it's closing early this year to start the refurb that has long been talked about. I personally don't think they would get rid of their only wooden roller coaster.

Let the buzz begin!

Now... will it be a makeover with topper track (and seeing the SDC monster going up, that wouldn't be a bad thing), a makeover with Iron Horse track (NTGiant turned out great, after all), or will they just TAER IT DOWN and build something new there?

Though I doubt it would happen, it would be cool if they did a near-vertical drop similar to NTAG which lead into a double up into the first turn. However instead of turning back around, it went along to the right, diving and rising off and on the cliff, until it got to the other side of the park. From there it could do an intense helix/some other element, then make its way back. Probable never going to happen, but hey, at least SFFT is finally receiving a signature ride that (hopefully) will have tons of airtime.

When the train gets to the top of the cliff, does the train have enough speed for any bunny hops?

I think that's what they were attempting to do with the helix. It just doesn't work

Though I doubt it would happen, it would be cool if they did a near-vertical drop similar to NTAG which lead into a double up into the first turn. However instead of turning back around, it went along to the right, diving and rising off and on the cliff, until it got to the other side of the park. From there it could do an intense helix/some other element, then make its way back. Probable never going to happen, but hey, at least SFFT is finally receiving a signature ride that (hopefully) will have tons of airtime.

they kinda have that (at least among Texans) with Poltergeist.

that was the main reason we started going to the park.

(I know, there's a Joker themed copy of that ride in another SF park, but for Texas,it's kinda signature)

Do you think they will take a year like they did Texas Giant as Rattler isn't as massive a structure as NTAG is/was?

Depends on what they do, it is rumored they are taking out the helix and if they have to do that I can see it taking a bit longer, thankfully the weather down here is "nice" during the winter so it should not effect them being able to work in it.

Had some friends at SFFT for the first time yesterday, apparently I had forgotten to mention Rattler to them.

This was the text exchange:

Friend: "WTF was the Rattler"

Me: "LOL. Interesting Ride no?"

F: "Fuck you"

M: "Did I not warn you "

F: "Interesting is definitely the right word for it. You didn't mention it to me. We heard 2 employees say it's likely on it's last season"

Oh, and there was some talk about 2 batman clones in San Antonio.