TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

^^

I can totally see that happen. My understanding from many old articles that I read in the past is that the first drop itself wasn't the actual issue, it was the bottom of the first drop and the sharp quick jolt back up into the fan curve that was the issue with people getting hurt.

Assuming the coaster is going to be completed for 2013, I'm assuming it will be shut down for a good amount of the 2012 season considering the time it took them to revamp the Texas Giant.

Does anyone have a full copy of the article that was in the Spokane Business Journal???? The link only has the first part of the article and you have to pay to see the rest. I hope someone was able to cut and paste the article.

^ They could probably make the drop steeper and have a stronger banked turn?

I don't think the ride will be closed for all of 2012. Maybe by June/July they'll close it. Since it's not the first time they've revamped a wooden coaster, It wouldn't need as much time.*

* Denotes I'm stealing an Idea/quote from Screamscape

From watching Robb's interview of RMC again, it sounded to me like they were planning on "replacing" Rattler with steel I-Box track, a la Texas Giant, rather than extending the Topper Track treatment that has been already started on the ride. Anyone else get this impression, or am I off? An I-Box track makeover would certainly be much more exciting.

Also, this is the excerpt of the article that pertains to the two major RMC projects for 2013:

An engineering team has been working on the design for the new cars for about three months, he says. "We will be building cars we think will be revolutionary for the industry."

He says the combination of the cars and the track system will enable new wooden coasters to include inversions, a feature that no wooden coaster has had since Kings Island theme park, in Mason, Ohio, removed a damaged, structurally flawed loop from its Son of Beast ride in 2006.

"We're developing it so riders can go upside down in a wooden coaster," Grubb says.

Rocky Mountain Construction already has two contracts to build wooden coasters with such features, he says.

One is planned at Silver Dollar City theme park, in Branson, Mo., and the other at Six Flags Fiesta Texas theme park, in San Antonio. Those jobs are valued at a total of $12 million, and both coasters are scheduled to open in the spring of 2013, Grubb says.

Has anyone considered that this might be the coaster that they were talking about adding inversions to?

^I think we're all under the impression that they're giving The Rattler the NTAG-treatment. I doubt the inversions, but a complete makeover is probably a given. Gravity Group also mentioned that the Timberliners can enable wooden coasters to travel upside-down safely again, but they're not running around putting inversions on woodies just yet!

Edited by coasterfreak101

SFFT issued a press release a few days ago talking about how 2012 will be their 20th anniversary. There will be other new stuff along with SkyScreamer. Speaking of SkyScreamer, the press release confirms it's location in Spassburg and it's height. Ovation and Lone Star Nights Spectacular will be returning for next year as well. You can read all about it here!

SFFT issued a press release a few days ago talking about how 2012 will be their 20th anniversary. There will be other new stuff along with SkyScreamer. Speaking of SkyScreamer, the press release confirms it's location in Spassburg and it's height. Ovation and Lone Star Nights Spectacular will be returning for next year as well. You can read all about it here!

Thanks for reconfirming 2012 but the Rattler talk is for 2013.

I just thought of something. If Rattler does indeed get the Iron Horse overhaul and becomes a steel roller coaster, SFFT will become the only park in the chain to not have a wooden roller coaster. Not that it matters I guess. Just making an observation. Perhaps down the road they could add their own American Thunder-esque GCI over in the Boardwalk...

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the news, I wonder if any other SF parks are going to update their maps

Seriously? No, they are going to leave their old maps.

Of course, if changes have been made to the park new maps are necessary. You really need to think before you type. Seriously!

Edited by larrygator

KXAN reports about 20th anniversary ;

I'm wondering why in a 5 minute video, only around 45 seconds were done on Sky Screamer. I mean, that's their biggest new attraction in the park.

Also, I wonder if the GP will be confused about Sky Screamer & Scream!, the names are very similar.

^The past few years only some parks have updated their maps while others had the same one. Six Flags America for example hasn't updated theirs since 2009. Last year it took until July for some parks to even update that page.

My bad , was thinking only in terms of the physical maps parks not the one of the website. Wow, I can't believe SF hasn't updated the SFA since 2009, but since I'm skeptical I went and looked and don't see the kids area (formerly Thomas Town) that they added years ago. Absolutely amazingly foolish.

I'm wondering why in a 5 minute video, only around 45 seconds were done on Sky Screamer. I mean, that's their biggest new attraction in the park.

Also, I wonder if the GP will be confused about Sky Screamer & Scream!, the names are very similar.

It's common sense. Since much of the park's heritage and success is based on their shows and shows bring in families and families bring in money the park representatives wanted to promote the changes in the show line-ups.

Edited by larrygator

That's why SkyScreamer is getting a black, white, and yellow color scheme!

That's why SkyScreamer is getting a black, white, and yellow color scheme!

They could've changed Sky Screamer's name to something else. Having the two tallest rides be named Scream & Sky Screamer is just too similar and makes no sense. It's like naming Maverick just say Maverick Force and people would get mixed up with Maverick Force & Millennium Force.