TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Markey is still at it!?! When is he going to realize that there is an entire OTHER SIDE to his argument? I won't give the researched safety statistic because everybody has already said them! And why are the physicians choosing just now to speak their minds? It's not going to be the tallest, fastest, or most violent ride in the park. Hell, it won't even be the first coaster to pull you up backwards in the park!

Doesn't he have a home to go to?

I can't believe that he's STILL at it after well over a decade....talk about persistence.

If a bill like that actually gets through I'd be shocked. The amusement industry is without a doubt one of the safest. Accidents are few and far in between, fatalities even more rare, and of course there's the whole "no cause-and-effect relationship yet."

Got back from Six Flags. I got christened by my first SLC and well, Vekoma coaster (it was horrible). Bizarro was, overrated to say the least. Only good coaster was really Batman: TDK. Coaster count:

Pandemonium: 1 (Broke down late in the day)

Batman: TDK: 2 (Wasn't working in the morning)

Mind Eraser: 1

Flashback: 1

Bizarro: 1 (Overrated)

Catwoman's whip: 1 (Epic win)

GCG: 1 (Painful)

Hey, so I'm planning a trip to SFNE on the first Sunday in October. I'm aware that Fright Fest starts that weekend, how do you think that will impact lines? Also, I'm assuming that running to Bizarro, taking a few rides at opening, quickly working backwards to get the other credits, then going back to Bizarro is a good strategy, am I right? Thanks.

Hey, so I'm planning a trip to SFNE on the first Sunday in October. I'm aware that Fright Fest starts that weekend, how do you think that will impact lines? Also, I'm assuming that running to Bizarro, taking a few rides at opening, quickly working backwards to get the other credits, then going back to Bizarro is a good strategy, am I right? Thanks.

Since it will be FF, it will heavily impact the lines. Saturday nights at SFNE during FF are sometimes worse than weekends during the summer. Going to Bizarro first is always the best thing to do. If you are there for rope drop, run through KIDZOPOLIS. No one goes there and there usually isnt a security guard that walks you down to the ride entrance (unless they've caught on) If you have the money, you should defiantly get a gold flash pass. The regular ones doesn't do anything to help and the gold isn't that expensive. After Bizarro it might be smart to run up to Batman. Since it'll still be morning on a Sunday you might be good for a couple of hours, but since I've never been to SFNE during FF and in the morning, I couldn't tell you. I usually get there for the evening. But as the day goes on, everything will defiantly start to get longer, and it might get annoying without the flash pass.

Just wondering, do the lines vary during the day for the major rides or are they generally the same? And if they do when do the lines start to clear out?

The lines for the majority of the rides in the morning are really short. (except for mind eraser, which I'd think most coaster enthusiasts wouldn't mind if the line was long, or even if the damn thing was closed ) The most I've waited for bizarro in the morning (its always my first ride) is 10-15 minutes.

Batman is also very short in the morning and even in the afternoon, 10 minutes, tops.

The lines are MUCH longer by the end of the day though

Just wondering, do the lines vary during the day for the major rides or are they generally the same? And if they do when do the lines start to clear out?

The lines for the majority of the rides in the morning are really short. (except for mind eraser, which I'd think most coaster enthusiasts wouldn't mind if the line was long, or even if the damn thing was closed ) The most I've waited for bizarro in the morning (its always my first ride) is 10-15 minutes.

Batman is also very short in the morning and even in the afternoon, 10 minutes, tops.

The lines are MUCH longer by the end of the day though

Yeah, Mind Eraser was 30 minutes for some good ole' brain damage (Had to, I had never ridden an SLC before) and figured out how sketchy the ride is, the side wheels on the train are a good inch away from actually touching the track, and only touch the track if you turn. (Creepy right).

Batman's line was good, no longer than 20 minutes, and a good ride, best floorless I've been on. And what's up with Bizarro? As said above, Bizarro never opens on time, but it didn't open till two. I went out and asked an employee about what was going on and she said "We dunno." Idiot employees are almost worst than the GP.

The GP really are idiots too, my friend (GP) brought me on ME and Flashback, and he wanted to ride them multiple times. Thank goodness the rest of the group chose not to ride it again.The GP really doesn't know how to distinguish the best ride from the worst.

I'm actually really excited for this. While I do wish they would repaint it (the orange/blue does look good..), I'm okay with it as is. While the name Goliath seems to not fit, the fact that the ride is still huge and with it's supposed location on te top of a hill (?), or at the highest elevation in the park, thus making it one of the (if not the) tallest attractions in the park is pretty brilliant in my opinion.

Also, who said 'Goliath' meant the tallest coaster in a park...? I don't agree with a BTR being dubbed Goliath, but someone a few pages back mentioned Goliath at SFMM? That's still a massive, 200 foot coaster. The name definitely fits...

I do agree with you on the name, at least Titan would've been better as it was only used once.

I went out and asked an employee about what was going on and she said "We dunno." Idiot employees are almost worst than the GP.

That's not really fair to say. In several cases, ride attendants are not told what is wrong with the ride because the specific cause of ride delays are not their business, and it's not the guest's business either. This isn't just for Six Flags, it goes for just about every single park in the U.S.

Sorry, I don't mean to lecture, but as a former employee I just want to get across that ride crews are not conspiring to keep you off the rides.

^ I was about to say the same thing. Why in the world would the mechanics go out of their way to inform the ride ops of what exactly is wrong with the ride? It is inconsequential to them doing their job, and it's none of the guest's business anyway. I haven't worked as a ride op or anything, just seems like sommon sense to me.

Looks like our old friend Senator Markey is back ...

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20110903pol_calls_for_stiffer_regs_as_six_flags_eyes_goliath_coaster/srvc=home&position=5

Six Flags New England’s plan to open a massive “inverted boomerang” roller coaster next year is raising concerns among doctors worried about the health impacts of bigger, faster rides and reviving a call from lawmakers for more regulation of amusement parks.

The coaster, dubbed Goliath, zips riders along in suspended cars at 65 mph with an 18-story free fall and a 110-foot-tall cobra roll.

Some physicians say such thrill rides can be harmful.

“Roller-coaster rides have been associated with carotid and vertebral artery dissections, which are believed to be related to excessive G forces and forceful neck movements during rides,” wrote Massachusetts General Hospital

neurologists S.I. Sheikh and A.B. Singhal in an academic journal.

U.S. Rep. Ed Markey (D-Malden) has also expressed concerns about so-called thrill rides and proposed legislation this summer to reinstate federal regulation of roller-coaster safety, which has not been in effect since 1981.

“Fixed-site amusement park rides like those at Six Flags New England are exempt from federal oversight due to a 30-year-old special-interest loophole. This means that even as these rides get faster and taller, safety rules

remain stuck in a state-by-state patchwork that leaves riders vulnerable,” Markey told the Herald.

But Six Flags New England President Jason Freeman this week defended the park and its coasters, saying that “by following American Society for Testing and Materials guidelines, the rides in our park are checked daily.”

Goliath was built in 2001 and first known as Deja Vu at Six Flags Magic Mountain in California. The coaster, which takes riders along its 1,200-foot track twice, once forward and once backward, will be relocated and reconstructed

at the Bay State amusement park by Memorial Day weekend.

“The jerky motions of these rides have been linked to small tears in arteries or a spike in blood pressure, but we aren’t sure if there is necessarily a cause-and-effect relationship,” Singhal told the Herald yesterday.

ASTM regulations, which are mandated throughout Massachusetts amusement parks, provide a series of check-ups that come at daily, weekly or monthly intervals, depending on the type of maintenance, and are the only type

of amusement-park standards in the country. The regulations also enforce a G-force limit on rides based on medical research.

“Additional regulation from Rep. Markey on top of this system will only add more bureaucracy and less safety,” Freeman said.

^^Hasn't that been posted already?

I looked in the thread, the article was from today ... I didn't see it. Sorry if it was a duplicate.

Yeah, I had posted it back on page 97. Do you get the Google Alerts also? I had just gotten that link today, but I saw in the Herald the other day, so thats how I knew about it.

No big deal though.

I know this does not have anything to do with the current conversation going on but I wanted to share...

I went to this park for the first time during the North East Trip and let me say this park was beautiful. It makes my home Six Flags (Six Flags America) look terrible. I only ran into one issue with staff - but that was just me thinking he was rude. Other than that if something broke down they had it moving right away again with little down time. The feel of the park was different than my SF as well - I mean that in a good way. The only thing I did not like was the layout. I prefer parks to be a circle and this one was more a "T" shape so we back tracked a lot going from ride to ride.