TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

They're not going to open Holiday in the Park. There's no reason for them to do that.

Anyway guys, I get that people are annoyed with some of these restrictions and in SOME cases I'm with you but let's stop trying to inject politics into everything like for example whatever this means...

law and order is terrorism

I know there's a fine line between theme parks and politics in some states right now and feel free to talk about that within reason but don't use this as a platform to inject your irrelevant political grievances into someone else's theme park forum.

It's annoying Six Flags New England most likley won't open this year, but the parks in New Hampshire and Connecticut are doing a great job creating a safe, fun environment so at least New Englanders have those within driving distance.

One more time for the people in the back; re-posting political posts that have nothing to do with theme parks is the same as posting them yourself. Congratulations, you have a political opinion. Nobody cares. It's a theme park forum. We're just going to delete your posts. Do people get the shakes and start hyperventilating when they can't inject irrelevant political opinions into absolutely everything?

It's annoying Six Flags New England most likley won't open this year, but the parks in New Hampshire and Connecticut are doing a great job creating a safe, fun environment so at least New Englanders have those within driving distance.

I sort of feel the same way. Rules are inconsistent but at least in the Northeast there are a bunch of states with different rules within short driving distance so you can basically do whatever you want if you're willing to drive an hour or two.

Edited by coasterbill

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering if Six Flags New England may still be looking to open. After missing the entire summer season, I would have told you there was no chance they'd try to open, but there are some clues and recent developments in Massachusetts that leads me to believe there's a slim chance Six Flags New England could open for a tiny bit later this year.

Great Escape and Six Flags Darien Lake recently posted messages to their website saying they'd remain closed for the entire 2020 season. Six Flags New England did not. Six Flags New England still has the temporary closure message on the site. Playing devil's advocate here, the park maybe just hasn't gotten around to changing it.

Amusement parks have always been classified in Phase 4 in Massachusetts, which meant they could not open until there was a cure or deployed vaccine for covid. Gyms, family entertainment centers, and arcades were also grouped in Phase 4, but these three places were given permission to reopen. FECs had to take similar precautions to Six Flags on a smaller scale to open their rides like bumper cars and go karts. But I think what happened with arcades is more interesting.

An arcade in Salem, MA sued the Massachusetts governor to reopen (Link). It's a move similar to what Cedar Fair did to the state of Ohio. And Massachusetts said arcades could reopen. Their rationale is what really catches my eye.

“Arcades have been open for a while in some of the states surrounding us and we spend a lot of time talking to our colleagues in those states,” Baker said. “And they basically said that with capacity limitations, rules, hand sanitizer, and all the rest, that they’ve been able to be open safely. And we felt based on the data we got from our colleagues in other states that that was enough to move forward.”

Based on this precedent with arcades, I wonder if Six Flags would consider suing Massachusetts to force the state's hand like the arcade owners did. If the Massachusetts governor applies the same thinking to amusement parks as he did for arcades, it looks like there may be a way for Six Flags New England (and Edaville) to reopen. As far as I know, there haven't been any outbreaks traced back to the open theme parks in the nearby states (New Hampshire, Connecticut, New Jersey).

As crazy as it would be to open for such a short time, it has major financial implications for Six Flags. They promised members one month would be added to their memberships for every month they remain closed. If they can open in October or November, they only owe members 6 months. If they fail to open at all this year, that doubles the amount they owe members (assuming they continued paying).

Great Escape and Six Flags Darien Lake recently posted messages to their website saying they'd remain closed for the entire 2020 season. Six Flags New England did not. Six Flags New England still has the temporary closure message on the site. Playing devil's advocate here, the park maybe just hasn't gotten around to changing it.

No, I entirely think that you're onto something. I think they still want to open for HITP so they can start billing people again, and honestly... awesome. I hope it works out for them. I don't think it's looking good but I'm glad that they're still trying.

Does Darien Lake do Holiday in the Park typically? I know Great Escape doesn't.

It would be crazy if Six Flags New England only opened for Holiday in the Park, but based on how arcades opened, I have to think amusement parks will do the same.

Darien Lake does not do Holiday in the Park.

In previous HIIPs, did they open both Wicked Cyclone and Superman? We would probably make the drive if they were both open, but not if either of them was closed. That's a two horse park, mostly. My third favorite coaster is... uh... probably the Pandemonium clone.

In previous HIIPs, did they open both Wicked Cyclone and Superman? We would probably make the drive if they were both open, but not if either of them was closed. That's a two horse park, mostly. My third favorite coaster is... uh... probably the Pandemonium clone.

They're both closed.

They run Batman, Mind Eraser (or whatever), Joker, Thunderbolt and then usually some combination of Pandemonium or Flashback even though they don't advertise it. The DC area is closed and everything beyond Pandemonium is closed. Goliath is closed because it's a turd.

They're both closed.

They run Batman, Mind Eraser (or whatever), Joker, Thunderbolt and then usually some combination of Pandemonium or Flashback even though they don't advertise it. The DC area is closed and everything beyond Pandemonium is closed. Goliath is closed because it's a turd.

Thanks. That is a hard pass for me. Well, most years it would be. Maybe we would still go just to support the business after being closed all year.

New England's rides also tend to shut down earlier in the cold than Great Adventure.

Except the SLC. That ride is a tank and I have never seen it go down for any reason in any season. It ran with temperatures in single digits a few years ago and outlasted the infrastructure of the park.

New England's rides also tend to shut down earlier in the cold than Great Adventure.

This is true too. Once it gets down into the 20's, New England sometimes closes the coasters and once Thunderbolt gets snow on the tracks it can stay closed for days.

Great Adventure doesn't close the coasters ever regardless of temperature unless they break down, but even then they keep sending maintenance out to do whatever they can do to fix them. There is no temperature limit whatsoever for any ride in the park that operates for the event. Nitro can and has run into the mid teens. We usually go to SFNE the first few weeks of the event just to be safe.

Edited by coasterbill

Except the SLC. That ride is a tank and I have never seen it go down for any reason in any season. It ran with temperatures in single digits a few years ago and outlasted the infrastructure of the park.

While their SLC's restraints make it more tolerable than most, well, here is how I see it... Presumably you don't run the coasters in the low temps because you think it will hurt them long term. But if the SLC were to just wear down a little faster... well, I might run it too.

SFNE does have the two star coasters closed but I still find it to be a fun event. Both Riddler and Batman seem to fly through their courses in the cold. Batman gets different wheels that are even louder than normal. Harley Quinn is open and I love that ride to. It’s a well done event at the park. Goliath is even a better lawn ornament this time of year as the back drop to the parks main tree lighting ceremony!

• 2 weeks later...
^Lawn ornament lolz.....so much lolz for that piece of junk at SFNE in crack axle.....missed going this season ....clearly not opening....so sad couldn’t get on Superman

Guessing you are right but I still haven’t seen a full closed for year announcement yet like Darien Lake & Great Escape put out so maybe an outside HITP chance but not looking good.

^Lawn ornament lolz.....so much lolz for that piece of junk at SFNE in crack axle.....missed going this season ....clearly not opening....so sad couldn’t get on Superman

Guessing you are right but I still haven’t seen a full closed for year announcement yet like Darien Lake & Great Escape put out so maybe an outside HITP chance but not looking good.

Starting today, we're allowed to pour our own soft drinks and coffee again in fast food restaurants and convenience stores.

SFNE might be allowed to open by 2025

EDIT: Baker just announced that starting next Monday, "indoor and outdoor performance venues" can have 250 people in attendance. Maybe SFNE can worm their way into taking advantage of that for HITP somehow?

I never expected that Six Flags would even attempt to open this year but the fact that they haven't joined the other parks in announcing that they were closed for the season is probably confirmation that they're holding out hope even though their hands are tied and it's not looking good.

It seems dumb on the surface, but I get it because even one month of operation during Holiday in the Park opening would mean that they could start billing their entire passholder base that paused over 4 months earlier than they would be able to otherwise since the alternative is not getting a penny from those people until early-to-mid April. One month of operation would lead to 4 months of revenue.

Edited by coasterbill