TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

The theory of Bush doing 9/11 is more believable than the Wicked Cyclone Vibration myth. People like to complain about everything being rough all the time, which is why Goliath gets way too much hate in my opinion. It's rough and aggressive, and I like that about the coaster. I can see why a lot of people wouldn't like that, but I get so confused when it is criticized for having SLC roughness. It's still one of the smoother Vekomas out there.

You can't miss it when the trains are doing it. It's not like a B&M rattle...it literally feels like a massage chair. It's very strange.

Maybe I'm immune to vibration then because I honestly didn't feel it at all on any ride. I'll see whats what when I get back up to the park later this summer to see if anything's changed.

My point was that it probably wasn't having issues your visit. On my visit only one of the trains had issues, and at times during the year it was the other train having issues (or both). Probably has to do with the wheels or something. On ypur visit they were probably changed out. Because they are NOT something you wouldn't feel...

The theory of Bush doing 9/11 is more believable than the Wicked Cyclone Vibration myth. People like to complain about everything being rough all the time, which is why Goliath gets way too much hate in my opinion. It's rough and aggressive, and I like that about the coaster. I can see why a lot of people wouldn't like that, but I get so confused when it is criticized for having SLC roughness. It's still one of the smoother Vekomas out there.

Then why does most people at SFNE Online have the same issues? They rode it the first month with rave reviews, and now are saying the vibrations from last year have returned. I've been on nearly 150 coasters and I can tell you on my visit one of the trains was flawless, and the other had massage chair vibrations. It's not a sensitivity or tolerance thing.

You can't miss it when the trains are doing it. It's not like a B&M rattle...it literally feels like a massage chair. It's very strange.

Maybe I'm immune to vibration then because I honestly didn't feel it at all on any ride. I'll see whats what when I get back up to the park later this summer to see if anything's changed.

My point was that it probably wasn't having issues your visit. On my visit only one of the trains had issues, and at times during the year it was the other train having issues (or both). Probably has to do with the wheels or something. On ypur visit they were probably changed out. Because they are NOT something you wouldn't feel...

Ah, I misunderstood. But you're probably right that some maintenance occured. If it is as intense as you describe you're right, no way I'd have missed it.

I rode Wicked Cyclone in 5 different visits last year, and the first 3 visits were glass smooth. The final two visits had vibrations. It wasn't painful, but if definitely felt weird. I thought they had gotten it straightened out since my rides this year have been outstanding, but that's sad to hear the vibrations have returned.

Then why does most people at SFNE Online have the same issues? They rode it the first month with rave reviews, and now are saying the vibrations from last year have returned. I've been on nearly 150 coasters and I can tell you on my visit one of the trains was flawless, and the other had massage chair vibrations. It's not a sensitivity or tolerance thing.

I think Goliath is similar to a standup in that body dimensions play a major role. I've noticed that taller people tend to hate it and shorter people generally find it more tolerable. There are exceptions to this rule but it seems to be the general consensus. Also, there's rightfully a different mentality about Goliath as it was a very smooth and enjoyable ride that only has these issues because Six Flags proactively decided to put a terrible train on it that led to a hilarious amount of downtime over multiple seasons and now a pretty crappy ride experience.

Personally I also find it irritating that this park will never invest a dime in anything worthwhile like removing the rest of the Skyway towers or adding the missing row of seats back onto Superman but when they have an opportity to greatly diminish the ride experience on a ride that doesn't need fixing with no visible upside they make it rain. Superman was winning the award for best steel coaster on earth year after year so they decided to put new trains on it that nobody likes and then Goliath was a major hit with everyone so they decided to do the same thing. Obviously they had good intentions but both times the results were frustrating.

The vibration issue is definitely there. It doesn't happen every visit, but when it happens, you'll notice it. This tweet from a GP is evident of that.

If you look up some POVs from different times last year, you can even hear it. You can also see how much it slows down towards the end:

Compare that with Robb's videos from media day.

Just read some Wicked Cyclone reviews from the past, there are some discussions about vibrating and screeching which seems to slow down the ride.

Has this ride really went downhill in terms of ride comfort or pace?

We rode is this season and last year during fright fest at the height of the "vibrating" and noticed no difference and thought it was awesome both times.

If it was during Fright Fest, no wonder you had a good ride. It started running good again then. It seems to run better in cooler weather.

Edited by SixflagsNE#1fan

I guess my relatively good luck with Goliath's new trains came to an end today. Rode in the very back and the return run practically rearranged my goddamn spine. I'm tall and have large shoulders, so it doesn't really throw me around too much, but it still found a way to do a number on me.

For those of you familiar with the BizarreMan hypercoaster, I have a question: how good is the air?

I hit SFNE on a cold day and was not at all impressed, which was extremely disappointing for a coaster that I thought might take my top spot. I don't live close enough for a trip to SFNE to be trivial, but I can plan a ride up there and back in a day without needing anywhere to stay overnight, so it's somewhere that I'd consider visiting again later this year if Superman feels like an Intamin.

For those of you familiar with the BizarreMan hypercoaster, I have a question: how good is the air?

I hit SFNE on a cold day and was not at all impressed, which was extremely disappointing for a coaster that I thought might take my top spot. I don't live close enough for a trip to SFNE to be trivial, but I can plan a ride up there and back in a day without needing anywhere to stay overnight, so it's somewhere that I'd consider visiting again later this year if Superman feels like an Intamin.

Don't go this year because they have VR on it, but if you go when that's over lines will be reasonable and you can choose your seat. My advice is to ride in row 1. I think your opinion of the ride will improve.

It doesn't run like it did with it's original trains and is slightly overrated at this point but it's a great ride. It has solid airtime... a step below rides like El Toro and Phoenix but still very good.

I rode it opening day this year, and the airtime didn't seem to be as great as it was last year, but that could have been due to a number of factors... cold weather, wheels not worn in yet, whatever. Hopefully by this point of the year it's improved.

With that being said, it's still the second best airtime in the park. With Wicked Cyclone, it feels like you're out of your seat more than you're actually in it. That alone is reason enough to go back IMO.

At the park now, tons of kids here was hoping it would be light crowds open til 6 on on Monday before school got out. Superman is closed for "preparations" for vr. Woman out front gave standard Idk if it will open today answer. Thought I'd get on atleast once today before the vr started this weekend, oh well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It can be temperamental at times it usually hauls ass during the summer and into fright fest. The airtime is about the best you'll find on a steel coaster apart from maybe RMC hybrids and maybe Skyrush

At the park now, tons of kids here was hoping it would be light crowds open til 6 on on Monday before school got out. Superman is closed for "preparations" for vr. Woman out front gave standard Idk if it will open today answer. Thought I'd get on atleast once today before the vr started this weekend, oh well.

Since the closure was obviously planned in advance and it's arguably their best ride it would have been nice if they had announced it on their website like any other park in any other chain would have. Oh well...

Since the closure was obviously planned in advance and it's arguably their best ride it would have been nice if they had announced it on their website like any other park in any other chain would have. Oh well...

I was considering making a mini New England coaster trip just to ride this before the VR and I am really glad I didn't. That would've been the biggest disappointment...

We're going to be up there the middle of next week. Superman should be up and running regularly (albeit with VR) by then, right?

It won't be "running" very often but yes. The lift chain will be moving and there will be people sitting in the train in the station if that's what you mean. As far as trains actually leaving the station that's yet to be seen.

Superman ended up opening, not exactly sure when but I got in line about 330 and got on around 4. Other than field trips which started to clear out after 3 most rides were cycle waits or walk ons other the Superman and WC. Ended up riding WC, Pandemonium, Goliath (painful mistake), Tomahawk, Thunderbolt, Scream (only running original tower), Superman and Fireball (actually liked, fun flat) all in about 2.5 hrs.

Hopefully Superman will be up and running smoothly by the time I visit (in about two weeks). Question: do you get to choose your seat with Flash Pass? It's already nice enough being able to skip the atrocious line due to VR, but choosing my seat would be icing on the cake.

Hopefully Superman will be up and running smoothly by the time I visit (in about two weeks). Question: do you get to choose your seat with Flash Pass? It's already nice enough being able to skip the atrocious line due to VR, but choosing my seat would be icing on the cake.

The station is tight with the VR set up, can fit a 3 train wait per row with pretty much no room to move from front to back. Also at least today the employee letting people into the station acted the norm of the past and just let people in the station as space allowed. No grouping or policing the lines for specific rows as there was more people waiting for the front and back clogging the limited space in the station. Can't say how it will be in a couple weeks however.