TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

You guys are hung up on a measly sky ride when they announced that new technology would be implemented into Bizarro and changed back to SROS.

First of all, no... that wasn't announced. We're just speculating. Nothing concrete was announced. I do believe that they'll eventually paint it red, remove the speakers and re-name it because it's marketable and they can sell more merchandise that way. Just painting the ride isn't marketable and it costs the park money so this is a clever way to make a profit but I doubt the ride experience will change much. I won't fault them for that but I'm not all that interested. I'm not reading too far into the line about "new technology" because that could mean anything. Maybe it will be cool but until something is announced I'm not getting excited about it.

And second of all... Yes. I am hung up on the "measly" sky ride. I'm hung up on the sky ride because it's just another ride in the endless list of rides that this park has removed and not replaced with anything because this park has no concept of the fact that a park needs more than just roller coasters to be enjoyable. This park was better 10 years ago in 2005 than it was in 2014 and for that to ever be the case at any park is truly amazing. I can't think of any other park anywhere where you could honestly say that but in this case it's the truth.

Here's a list of non coaster rides closed since 2005...

Log Flume (good ride replaced by an ugly, awful piece of crap)

Colossus (iconic ride that was not replaced at all, a ride was relocated here that already existed in the park and an up-charge carnival ride was added)

Chaos (not replaced)

Spider (not replaced)

Rodeo (not replaced, highly visible eyesore pad and queue is still there 8 years later)

Bumper Buggies (not replaced)

Double Trouble (not replaced)

Time Warp (not replaced, pad is still there 6 years later)

Nightwing (replaced with a ride that we already had only now it's outside so it's far less interesting)

Shipwreck Falls (actually replaced but with the current State of Goliath and it's new train I'd almost rather have Shipwreck Falls back)

Catapult (not replaced)

Taz's Daredevil Dive (actually replaced)

Twister (not replaced, and despite the rumors I'll believe it when I see it)

New England Skyway (we all know this will never be replaced)

In that time the following adult non coaster rides have been added

Splashwater Falls (replaced the log flume... the log flume was a much better ride)

Slingshot (an up-charge Carnival ride)

New England Skyscreamer

Yup... that's it. So yes, I'm annoyed about the Sky Ride. I'm really annoyed, because this park just continues to do this stuff year after year.

Similar to Great Adventure's story for 15 years.

John Winkler has said that he wants to take bizarro and bring the big s back to it. Now in the past week he said new technology is behing worked on for bizarros next stage. It's pretty much official.

Awesome???? What is the Big S?

You guys are hung up on a measly sky ride when they announced that new technology would be implemented into Bizarro and changed back to SROS.

First of all, no... that wasn't announced. We're just speculating. Nothing concrete was announced. I do believe that they'll eventually paint it red, remove the speakers and re-name it because it's marketable and they can sell more merchandise that way. Just painting the ride isn't marketable and it costs the park money so this is a clever way to make a profit but I doubt the ride experience will change much. I won't fault them for that but I'm not all that interested. I'm not reading too far into the line about "new technology" because that could mean anything. Maybe it will be cool but until something is announced I'm not getting excited about it.

And second of all... Yes. I am hung up on the "measly" sky ride. I'm hung up on the sky ride because it's just another ride in the endless list of rides that this park has removed and not replaced with anything because this park has no concept of the fact that a park needs more than just roller coasters to be enjoyable. This park was better 10 years ago in 2005 than it was in 2014 and for that to ever be the case at any park is truly amazing. I can't think of any other park anywhere where you could honestly say that but in this case it's the truth.

Here's a list of non coaster rides closed since 2005...

Log Flume (good ride replaced by an ugly, awful piece of crap)

Colossus (iconic ride that was not replaced at all, a ride was relocated here that already existed in the park and an up-charge carnival ride was added)

Chaos (not replaced)

Spider (not replaced)

Rodeo (not replaced, highly visible eyesore pad and queue is still there 8 years later)

Bumper Buggies (not replaced)

Double Trouble (not replaced)

Time Warp (not replaced, pad is still there 6 years later)

Nightwing (replaced with a ride that we already had only now it's outside so it's far less interesting)

Shipwreck Falls (actually replaced but with the current State of Goliath and it's new train I'd almost rather have Shipwreck Falls back)

Catapult (not replaced)

Taz's Daredevil Dive (actually replaced)

Twister (not replaced, and despite the rumors I'll believe it when I see it)

New England Skyway (we all know this will never be replaced)

In that time the following adult non coaster rides have been added

Splashwater Falls (replaced the log flume... the log flume was a much better ride)

Slingshot (an up-charge Carnival ride)

New England Skyscreamer

Yup... that's it. So yes, I'm annoyed about the Sky Ride. I'm really annoyed, because this park just continues to do this stuff year after year.

Basically the story of every single Six Flags park.

But if you have ever tuned into one of the live chats with Jen Mcrath, they say that they are looking into flat rides. I am just wondering why people really don't like this park

I thought I did a good job of explaining why I don't like this park. It's a shame though because I used to like it and really want to like it again but it's just so badly run. They cut corners everywhere where they shouldn't cut corners but then decide to blow a ton of money on stupid things that totally backfire or things they just completely don't need.

1) A new train to make the best coaster in the park one of the worst coasters in the park that also leads to it being closed for half a season and opening weekend of the following season. The new train wasn't marketable anyway so even if it wasn't a disaster they wouldn't get a return on investment on it AND it has the same amount of seats as the old one so I don't see how this is "increasing capacity".

2) A new train and name for the best coaster in the world that took away from the ride experience (the train, not the name). They also spent a lot of money on effects for it that worked for approximately 2 months.

3) A huge building for a wild mouse coaster they didn't even get permits for that they had to tear down.

Also, they can say that they're looking into flats all day long but call me when they actually add some. New England Sky Screamer was a good start but it's the only flat ride they've added in 10 years so I'd really like to see a few more before I get excited.

I agree that it's similar but it's really way worse. Great Adventure removed a lot of rides from that 1999 "War on Lines" when they added a ton of them but that never bothered me because they were all closed all the time anyway so I thought of them more as lawn ornaments than rides. Plus while they did remove a lot of rides in the last few years they've added a lot back in. They added 4 flat rides with Adventure Alley, they also added a drop tower and the the safari and another flat ride (um... I mean coaster but we all know it's a flat ride) next year. Six Flags New England on the other hand hasn't made any steps to add any flats back into the park.

^ goliaths capacity has increased. Not by # of seats but because the seats are now 4 across, people load quicker. When it was staggered seating, people got confused and it took longer. Bizarro isn't their fault, that was Shapiro who is no longer part of six flags. Same with tdk coaster, that's old management. People shouldn't judge this park based on deductions Shapiro made. Since shapiro left, the parks gotten a lot better. And they have been fixing bizarros audio. This past season it worked perfect from opening day to around June 20th and then all through fright fest it worked. Also the fog and tunnel strobes and red lights worked pretty well. At least they're doing the best they could, but when the bizarro change happened, cheap equipment was used.

^ goliaths capacity has increased. Not by # of seats but because the seats are now 4 across, people load quicker.

I'd be willing to bet that capacity has actually decreased for the simple fact that the crew was brutally bad this year. The first and second season when they had the old train they were awesome... so awesome that I couldn't believe I was at Six Flags New England and not Cedar Point. Now they're typical, slow and miserable SFNE ride ops.

And as far as Bizarro I could care less about on-board audio. I would much rather ride without unintelligible dialog and distorted music and sound effects! Bring back S:ROS!!!

The headrests with the on-board speakers on the side ruins the view. The audio wasn't even working when I rode it last year...

As far as I'm aware, one of the trains works and one of the trains doesn't. When the audio is working, it's a nice addition (although the position of the speakers is terrible), but when it's not, the only difference between Bizarro and S:ROS is the worse trains.

^ goliaths capacity has increased. Not by # of seats but because the seats are now 4 across, people load quicker.

I'd be willing to bet that capacity has actually decreased for the simple fact that the crew was brutally bad this year. The first and second season when they had the old train they were awesome... so awesome that I couldn't believe I was at Six Flags New England and not Cedar Point. Now they're typical, slow and miserable SFNE ride ops.

I don't know when you go but every time I went this season they were great. Polite and quick.

Yeah the speakers are really screwing up the ride. It would be much better without them. I believe 2015 is the last year for Bizarro though, then SROS in 2016.

I haven't really kept track of what trains have working audio but both of them have a good number of rows that have dead speakers. The train that ran closing day all the seats behind the box were dead, and a few rows before the box were dead. The other train is in the same boat. The park clearly can't keep up with the money needed for the system so it needs to go, which appears to be what they are doing. I kinda like the music on the ride but I feel it would be much better having a better view and natural coaster sounds.

As for Goliath, it sucks. Really sucks. When I went on it the the first and last time with the new train towards the beginning of the year, the ride ops were pretty good and I could tell the trains were dispatching quicker. I believe the new train got rid of the seatbelts too (not positive) so that saves time because before they had to check everyone's seatbelts then check the restraints. If they can fix the new train, then do it. If they don't and leave it the way it is, I won't be riding it.

I don't mind the soundtrack while going up the lift hill, but I couldn't stand it at the brake run. It was not pleasant to hear that loop of "Bizarro" while being stacked. The rest of it was simply lost; I couldn't hear it at all during the actual ride. Not that I was paying attention (or cared) anyway. I like the effects on the ride, but that soundtrack and these trains need to go.

Hm, it seems that I'm the only person who had a comfortable ride on Goliath. Granted, I never rode it with its old train, so I have no comparison, but I didn't find the new train to be uncomfortable in the slightest. It's my second favourite coaster in the park.

I do agree about Bizarro. Get rid of the speakers if they don't work. GAdv cut their losses with their version of Bizarro a few years ago. It's time for NE to do the same. As to whether or not they theme it back to S:ROS, I don't care either way. It will still be a hell of a ride.

The front is probably the best going forward but it is absolute torture going backwards. The transition between the 2nd spike and loop is the roughest part of any coaster I have been on. Same goes for the back row and the first spike.

I mean there is definitely something wrong with this ride. It is 5 times louder than a B&M now, employees have to wear ear protection, and it is insanely rough.