TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Went today in spite of the rain mostly because of the crowds or lack thereof, but also because, well, coasters with rain-slick tracks are better. Here's how it breaks down (not in chronological order, my memory sucks):

Bizarro: Rode it in the back, received less air than I thought I would, but given that it's friggin' Bizarro, it still gave air in spades. Positives were also quite impressive.

Batman: Second-to-last row in a pretty strong downpour, but damn if this sonofabitch didn't fly. There weren't many people in the train, either, so I don't think that the trim kicked in. Was actually quite forceful.

Thunderbolt: Middle of front car. Was quite fast this time around, though still relatively airless.

Cyclone: Back. Holy CRAP was this good. Violent and shaky? Yes. But DAT EJECTOR, that sweet ejector. Totally worth the shakiness.

Pandemonium: Car was slightly unbalanced for some good spins, but not as many as I had hoped. Still good fun.

I avoided the kiddie coasters and the Vekoma torture devices, and for flats I did Joker's Wildcard and the Tomahawk. I was tempted to get my balls flattened on the Twister, but I wisely passed. The program isn't good enough to justify the pain.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a long time lurker and I finally decided to join in on the fun and the discussions. Living up here in Vermont I visit Six Flags New England and the Great Escape a few times a year. I noticed this posted on the Six Flags New England Nation web site:

In 2011, we're adding a 10th coaster to our already amazing arsenal of thrill rides. The new ride will be located in the DC Super Hero Adventures section and will offer an all new coaster adventure to delight thrill seekers of every age.

The experience begins when you board the four-person coaster cars and start a 5-story climb towards the sky. Once you reach the top of the lift hill, your world is sent spinning and twirling through a maze of 17 hairpin turns, winding twists and turns and unexpected dips while careening along 1,213 feet

of track.

Stay tuned — more info and the name will be announced soon!

Sounds like this "new" coaster is going to be located in the area where the Dark Knight was suppose to go a few years ago before it was pulled out and sent packing. Does this sound like the Road Runner Express that was removed from Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom?

I know there were high hopes for something big but this does make some sense due to the lost of the Dark Knight which was billed as a family thrill ride. Six Flags New England is pretty land locked and if there were to put something bigger in, they would have to be really creative with space, move or remove some rides. The footprint is small enough to fit in the area the Dark Knight was going to be. The times I was there, the football game they put in there was hardly being used. It will be interesting to see if they theme it to anything relating to the DC universe or just plop it down as is.

Blah. Besides Bizarro, this park bums me out coaster-wise. Like said above, if anything, maybe this will cut the lines for the only great coaster (in my opinion anyway) in the park.

If I had my wish for SFNE, it would be for a really great wooden coaster. They practically wrecked the (Riverside) Cyclone, and the Thunderbolt is fun, but I think it would be a great balance with Bizarro to have a really insane new wooden coaster. Even if that means taking something else out...

They didn't take out Dark Knight, what happened was they started building the frame of the building without getting all the permission from the town first , and then when it wasn't approved they just canceled and sent it down to Mexico. I don't think any track was actually ever built.

Dark Knight Coaster had started its construction, but in the state of mass, there are mandates for these enclosed buildings. These buildings however have to meet certain criteria similar to that of an office building. As you can imagine that will drive the cost way up. Six flags wasn't allowed to just erect a building, the building the had to have the same building requirements as that of family dwelling or office building which would drive cost way above the other 2 installations. Basically... don't expect any NEW indoor coasters or rides to be installed in Massachusetts. So yes, this ride will be completely outdoors.

What does SFNE draw for attendance every year? I'm hoping to get there for the first time next year. I'm really surprised Bizzaro only has 2 trains for a park in a large populated area.

SFNE is, I would consider, very crowded in the summer, especially for the number of rides it has. To compare, I went to SFGAd and SFNE (both on Tuesdays in August) a week apart, and the crowds were similar (hour lines for almost everything).

The issue with Bizarro is it doesn't have a MCBR, so I think it can really only safely run with 2 trains due to blocking issues. In fact, the only brakes it has is at the very end before the station (there has been a brake failure leading to a collision in the past), it only has one trim in the bunny hops. Capacity is less than desirable, but I think it's worth it for a MCBR-less ride. To compare, Nitro is a big people-eater with 3 trains running, but I really think the MCBR kills the bunny hops at the end, it just ruins the flow. Imagine if Bizarro had a brake line before its 3 bunny hops.

Im not correct, but I think SFNE is in the 1.5 - 2 million range of attendance. The problem is we do not have much land for anything, if something comes, things are getting moved or taken out. The SFNE facebook page is taking a beating about this coaster. After thinking about it, it is crap and a hand me down ride. A mouse is a mouse. Not one is better than the other they all do the exact same thing in this type of mouse. We have Pandemonium which in the beginning acts as a spinning mouse with the turns. The big wig's in Dallas did not do their homework on this and flopped big on this, the GP might like it, but coaster community hates it. It is basically a carnival ride. I'll go to the Big E and ride the same thing this year.

My kid's want to ride it, I have ridden a lot of these this year and they were all the same..lol The 50th Anniversary for Six Flags is honestly a joke . SFOG gets a Eurofighter. THe Mouse was supposed to go to TGE and that is where is should go they need it and deserve that coaster more then we do. I would be happy to get a flat or 2 back we have in storage.

THis is becoming a big mess for SFNE !!!! Bad choice on Management part !!!!

The big wig's in Dallas did not do their homework on this and flopped big on this, the GP might like it, but coaster community hates it.

So uh, they made a bad decision that 99% of their guests (GP) are going to enjoy? Just be happy they aren't promoting this as a thrill ride like Dark Knight.