TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

I just rode it last weekend and hadn't been on it in a few years, but it certainly shuffled a lot more than I remember.

Anyway, more than anything I also hope they don't put OTSRs on the ride. Maybe they'll just put the same restraints that El Toro has on it. It could easily use a new paint job, but I'm not so sure about the other stuff.

I think a reason Six Flags is not adding these changes to Mind Eraser is that the general public will probably think that it is the same horrible ride with fog and fire effects. Six Flags would have a hard time trying to explain that the ride has been modified to run smoother if they did any track work or added new trains. Superman: Ride of Steel is a popular ride where the general public will notice/care about the changes made. I'm sure that Six Flags would work on Mind Eraser if they knew it would boost its popularity, but they probably figured that it wasn't worth it. Who knows, maybe they'll buy new trains for Mind Eraser as next year, and hope people give it a chance.

Now, I've never been to Six Flags New England, so I don't know how well Mind Eraser Runs(sounds bad), or the crowds it gets. I'm just going by experiences at other parks.

I think a reason Six Flags is not adding these changes to Mind Eraser is that the general public will probably think that it is the same horrible ride with fog and fire effects. Six Flags would have a hard time trying to explain that the ride has been modified to run smoother if they did any track work or added new trains. Superman: Ride of Steel is a popular ride where the general public will notice/care about the changes made. I'm sure that Six Flags would work on Mind Eraser if they knew it would boost its popularity, but they probably figured that it wasn't worth it. Who knows, maybe they'll buy new trains for Mind Eraser as next year, and hope people give it a chance.

Now, I've never been to Six Flags New England, so I don't know how well Mind Eraser Runs(sounds bad), or the crowds it gets. I'm just going by experiences at other parks.

When Paramount replaced Outer Limits' trains with lap bar only ones it only took a little while for word to spread that the ride didn't hurt like hell anymore, since then the lines have been consistantly MUCH longer then in the past.

Same deal with JJ at SFA, nowadays it will have the 2nd/3rd longest line in the park, it used to always be a walk on during my visits with the awful headbanging. I think people would eventually take notice of the change.

I would love them to fix the few issues with it (those ankle beaters can go to start) than them add superfluous crap to it. I really don't like the idea of on ride audio for outdoor rides. On ride audio IMHO only belongs on indoor rides which can be completely controlled. The thrill of outdoor rides comes partially from the quiet of the lift then the roar of the air. I don't want that ruined.

Don't worry, it's Six Flags. It'll be non-functional by the end of the first season.

Everyone says the fog is one of the coolest "effects" of SROS, so why wouldn't people like to see music, fire, etc?

I've been at SFNE several times every summer since 2002, and TPR's ERT was the ONLY time I've seen the fog run...in 5 years. Maybe I just had odd timing. Regardless, S:RoS is the most out-of-control during allday torrential rain. I'll take that ANYDAY over "atmospheric" fog, fire, and GLORIFIED EARPHONES.

Surprisingly , I doubt anyone would believe me, but Mind Eraser is actually the 2nd most popular ride there. I've only been to the park once, but waited over an hour for the ride. Just check out the line that we waited in, in this picture: http://www.coasterwiki.org/pics/six_flags_new_england_05_12_2007/Image00089.jpg

It is probably a BETTER idea to make SROS even "better" but giving Mind Eraser new trains would also be a good idea. Perhaps they could do that next year for an "off" year. I know that with the Premier Ride's lapbar-ed trains, there was very little advertisement about it, which the parks really could've taken advantage of, but Morey's Piers did an excellent job of promoting the new trains on Great Nor Easter, I'm sure the marketers over at Six Flags could come up with something that would make a big deal out of it.

I'm usually notoriously optimistic, but this sounds like a terrible idea. I rode SROS in 2005 and it was amazing. If what people are saying is true and its now in need of some maintenance, then that's all they should do. A new paint job and whatever it will take to make it ride smoothly again. New wheels? New STANDARD Intamin trains? Whatever.

Six Flags does not have a track record of world-class roller coasters and they completely lucked into this amazing coaster. I'm assuming if SFNE had the space they wouldn've built a clone of Darien Lake and SFA's SROS and they'd have no top tier, best of the best coasters to speak of(except for El Toro). Anyway, my point is, there's a really good chance that they're going to RUIN their masterpiece and enthusiasts around the world will weep.

Think about it, is there a better chance that they'll improve SROS or ruin it? I smell a poll.

If what people are saying is true and its now in need of some maintenance, then that's all they should do. A new paint job and whatever it will take to make it ride smoothly again. New wheels? New STANDARD Intamin trains? Whatever.

I know I said I'd hold off, but let me just add this to the mix of consideration...

Perhaps what you are saying about Superman simply needing some TLC is true. But if you were a park spending millions on necessary new trains and other repairs, why not add a gimmick or two to make the investment marketable and re-hype the ride? I'm still not saying how I feel about the changes, but I completely understand the decision and figure this is a case of "as long as we're making these necessary changes..."

(By the way, wheels are replaced more often than you think. A new set of wheels has no noticeable effect how the coaster runs in the long-run.)

Six Flags does not have a track record of world-class roller coasters and they completely lucked into this amazing coaster. I'm assuming if SFNE had the space they wouldn've built a clone of Darien Lake and SFA's SROS and they'd have no top tier, best of the best coasters to speak of(except for El Toro). Anyway, my point is, there's a really good chance that they're going to RUIN their masterpiece and enthusiasts around the world will weep.

Think about it, is there a better chance that they'll improve SROS or ruin it? I smell a poll.

So why didn't they "completely luck into" El Toro? It is clear that Superman was intended to not be a typical installation. They based an entire section of a park around it, added tunnels, and ended up with exactly what they were going for. I can almost guarantee there was enough room in the park for the other Superman layout.

Perhaps what you are saying about Superman simply needing some TLC is true. But if you were a park spending millions on necessary new trains and other repairs, why not add a gimmick or two to make the investment marketable and re-hype the ride? I'm still not saying how I feel about the changes, but I completely understand the decision and figure this is a case of "as long as we're making these necessary changes...".

Of course I can see that they'd want to find a way to make the rehab marketable. I'm just nervous. You do make a good point though, that if they HAD to do new trains to improve the ride, then why not add audio. And while they're at it why not add some special effects. I get it. I'm still nervous though.

So why didn't they "completely luck into" El Toro? It is clear that Superman was intended to not be a typical installation. They based an entire section of a park around it, added tunnels, and ended up with exactly what they were going for. I can almost guarantee there was enough room in the park for the other Superman layout.

If someone can prove to me that Six Flags intent was to build a custom installation, the likes of which man has never experienced, that has airtime that blows away its sister coasters, then the "lucked into" statement is unfair and I'll take it back. Until then I stand by it b/c it looks to me like a case of 'well we can't just clone the Darien coaster so we'll try something different'. With the success of the other prefab-woodies like Balder, El Toro seems less serendipitous. That's why they didn't luck into El Toro in my opinion.

By the way, does anyone have any idea where it would make sense to put a fire effect?

Okay, this thread draws the inner lurker in me out again...

I don't understand why so many people are complaining about this. They didn't say they were going to reprofile the ride. They didn't say that they were going to remove it or anything like that. It sounds to me like they are going to add fire and sound to it and that is it.

And while some people may not like sound, it's pretty clear that the general public finds it a pretty novel idea, which is what they are trying to attract. So unless a train design comes out that looks just like an Arrow looping coaster or Six Flags says that they are going to completely reprofile the ride, I don't see how this could be an unpopular decision.

As for why they are doing this, as someone else mentioned -- it's a lot easier to market this than getting a new train for a ride that doesn't really impress people. I know of at least one Arrow ride that got a new set of trains recently, and no one noticed. Heck, I wouldn't have if I wasn't told. By telling us about Superman and upgrading some of the features, SFNE has a marketable ride to promote without spending a ton of money, especially if they needed train work anyway.

Personally, I'd like to see Six Flags do this with the Batman coasters... maybe 2010...

I really don't get the complaints. If a coaster is one of the best in the world, will fire and fog take away from that? No, it won't. You don't hear anyone saying that the fire on X really detracted from the ride, do you?

And new trains? Honestly, Six Flags is giving this ride love and people are complaining? I don't understand.

By the way, does anyone have any idea where it would make sense to put a fire effect?

After the overbank there is a straight piece of track hugs the ground and then dips into a gully. A fire effect could be placed right at the dip, since the whole train would be able to see it there.

I think its great that SFNE is showing some attention to thies ride and agree fully with the remarketing strategy...and yes, I can see why some would be concerned that this gives SF a scape goat of building a new ride without building a new ride. Even though that premise has merit, Six Flags is the last company to add any major additions to any of their parks. To be perfectly honest, I'd rather see them revamp already popular rides than to see them market the hell out of Mice in boxes, i.e. TDK.

I'm all for this, having experienced the transformation Six Flags did with X2, I don't see what could be bad about doing something similar to SROS. I've always been a fan of coasters having audio on them, provided it's actually working....it does add extra excitement to the ride experience. I wouldn't make a special trip out there to ride it though, but the fact that it's already one of the best coasters in the world + the upgrade only makes it that much better.