TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

If it ain't broke why try fixing it? Seriously the money could've been spent on much better things IMO. I definitely hope the new trains don't have those OTSR's like the rockets. If so, SFNE can kiss #1 goodbye.

You know I gotta agree with Erik here. It's not a bad thing when a park shows some love to an older ride.

After our East Coast trip this year I kind of felt like SROS had been a bit neglected. It didn't seem to run as good as I had remembered, it looked like it had "aged" and I was kind of sad to see the condition that it was in.

I'm very happy that they have decided to fix things up a bit. I do agree that an OTSR on that ride would be terrible, but I have to hope that SFNE would see that also.

--Robb

True Robb. It's been 3 years since I last rode SROS, so I'm sure it could use a little TLC if it hasn't really had much since then. It's just that it was such a perfect ride for me back then that it makes me a little nervous to see SF make these changes. I'm all for making it an even better ride if possible though, so guess we'll see next year.

After our East Coast trip this year I kind of felt like SROS had been a bit neglected. It didn't seem to run as good as I had remembered.

Sadly, I agree. The Man was not running at peak performance when we visited. It seems to have picked up a little shuffle (especially in the bunnyhops), and felt like it was grinding through some of the turns.

Please, please, let someone confirm that its NOT getting OSTRs; those would be the DEATH of Superman. I'd be ecstatic if they just got rid of those primitive shin-bruising leg braces.

The addition of gimmicky fire and sound effects should be reserved for Premier projects and other inferior coasters, IMHO. One of the things I've always admired about S:RoS is its utter simplicity. There's no need to gussy up an Intamin.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't look forward to this.

One of the top two steel coasters in the world gets some improvements. How can you not like it?

I don't think any "mega coaster" has ever had OTSRs, so I'm pretty sure SF will not be dumb enough to let that happen to this ride.

If anything, I think (and hope) the new train design eliminates the ankle restraints. I've never ridden it without the ankle restraints, but I hear it was much better without them.

Everyone says the fog is one of the coolest "effects" of SROS, so why wouldn't people like to see music, fire, etc? I personally thought the fog was a nice touch, but kind of an afterthought. Not quite enough to get excited about, so all these new effects should really enhance it.

One last thing, do they really enforce the height limit? I'm pretty sure I would be well above the limit, but I rode it three times without even being questioned.

I dunno..I'm a little torn on this one. I mean, I'm sure it'll be done with some measure of taste and style, but I think that sort of thing would go better with the Batman coaster. The coasters that seriously need some love (or something) is Mind Eraser and the Cyclone of Pain. Should be interesting, though..I think.

While it is great that they are upgrading this ride, there are probably other rides that deserve work as well. Mind Eraser could have the rails sanded down(ie Kumali), and it would be kind of cool for a SLC to have fog, fire, and light effects. Boomerang could also receive new trains, and it sounds like Cyclone could use some work.

With that being said, it sounds like a nice improvement to the ride, and hopefully Six Flags continues this with their other rides.(Bull or Nitro) As for the sound, I have nothing wrong with it being the Superman theme, and hopefully it is synced to the ride unlike Led Zeppelin.

I feel like i am using this internet just to dump my opinions, but whatever. I agree withe some users here, I would be more than happy if say... The boomerang and the SLC got the ultra sweet trains that make the rides fun again. But having been to SFNE.. making SROS "better" will just make the longest line in the park even longer. I haven't been to SFMM, but I know X was having ridiculous wait times. Did the transformation to X2 make it more unbearable? Or is it possible to go and wait less than 2 hours for it now?

I've got to wonder about the fire effects though, where would they be placed and would you even notice them? I won't lie, the idea does sound fun, but the last time Six Flags told me they were going to make a fun ride (Dark Knight, SFgadv), it failed completely and I prefer outdoor wild mice to that thing.

I wish they would just completely revamp the restraints into something simple like the clamshells on B & M hypers, it would be a win all around - a better ride experience, increased throughput.

I'm in a similiar position in that I rode it in 2005 and came back in August and there was a big difference, it was very clunky, so I hope they fix all that.

This sounds like a great idea, but SROS really didn't need it. Maybe new paint would be all I would want. Cyclone needs some rehab, as do the boomerang and slc. I hope this isn't their only addition

Ya maybe they can get the new SLC trains!

Otherwise its good to see they still care about Superman, but I do agree TRAIN THE EMPLOYEES! I'm sick of getting stapled every time I ride it. Also they have always stacked the trains way too much!

To all those who think some lesser ride deserves the attention more: well, you're probably right.

But from a marketing standpoint, this is a good opportunity to draw attention back to a ride that can still make a legitimate claim to being one of the world's best coasters.

It's like this:

"You know how you've heard that this ride is awesome? Now it's going to be even better!"

Vs.

'You know that ride that sucks? Now it's going to be ridable!"

Which of those will draw more people? (Which is what it's all about, ultimately.)

I think it's great of the park to try to make improvements to the ride, so long as they do not accidentally take away from the experience at all.

It is very surprising to me, however, from a business standpoint. X didn't work right so spending the cash to make it X2 really was needed. Aside from paint and regular maintenance, what did SROS need?

I'm just surprised they'd get enough of a marketing punch, and then ROI out of a change like this. Unless there's something else to be announced for the park?

Mike

Oh man - I'm so not excited about this change. I love S:ROS the way it is. Now it sounds like its gonna be all gimmicky.

Music, fog and fire effects, and new trains really seem like a better idea for Mind Eraser - not one of the top coasters in the world.

I gotta say reading this news... So sad...

I would love them to fix the few issues with it (those ankle beaters can go to start) than them add superfluous crap to it. I really don't like the idea of on ride audio for outdoor rides. On ride audio IMHO only belongs on indoor rides which can be completely controlled. The thrill of outdoor rides comes partially from the quiet of the lift then the roar of the air. I don't want that ruined.