TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

• 5 months later...

A couple of weeks ago, a building inspector halted the construction of "Dark Knight" coaster at Six Flags New England because the park started construction before receiving the necessary permits.

http://www.wwlp.com/Global/story.asp?S= ... =menu600_1

There's the URL to one of the news articles with a video showing how far they progressed before being halted.

They hoped to get the ride open by memorial, but so far, the construction is still at a stand still while the zoning board goes over the coaster plan.

http://www.masslive.com/republican/stor ... xml&coll=1

Most recent article on the coaster.

Kinda sucks that they got halted, but I understand and respect the towns decision to do so since everyone should follow procedures when it comes to permits and such.

Edited by larrygator

I understand the city's reasoning for doing this, but it does seem a bit silly considering that Dark Knight is sandwiched between two 200+ foot tall rides that have been at the park for almost a decade now. I would say that a Memorial Day opening is completely out of the question by now, but it should be open by the time the movie opens... Unless the city keeps giving SFNE trouble for a while longer.

Update from Screamscape.com

The various parties involved have all voted unanimously in favor of the revised plans submitted for Six Flags New England’s The Dark Knight Coaster. This doesn’t get them out of the water yet however as they have several more meetings and approval they need to get before a new building permit is issues and work can begin, so obviously the new ride will not open by Memorial Day as they had hoped. There are still at least two more meeting scheduled (Conservation Commission on March 27th and Zoning Board on April 4th) who must approve of the plans before a permit will be issued.

Looks like it may not open till July the article says.

• 2 weeks later...

Dark Knight is still facing delays but it looks like there is a light at the end of the tunnel

http://www.masslive.com/republican/stories/index.ssf?/base/news-13/120729378357130.xml&coll=1

AGAWAM - The Zoning Board of Appeals will review revised plans for Six Flags New England's $7.5 million indoor roller coaster project today, but a pending decision from the state could further delay the project, officials said yesterday.

Six Flags officials met yesterday with officials of the state Department of Public Safety in Boston, primarily to review the project's plans for emergency exits and a fire suppression sprinkler system.

With the Planning Board and Conservation Commission already having approved the revised plans, OKs from the state and the Zoning Board are the only hurdles left for the plans to clear before Building Inspector Dominic Urbinati can issue a building permit for the project.

There's more to the article than that.

My friend sent me this forum link to sfneonline.com

http://sfneonline.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=119&st=0entry1266

This is what the admin found and posted.

4/9/09 6:16PM - Six Flags New England and Six Flags, INC. has removed all “The Dark Knight Coaster” references from the Six Flags New England website and National Six Flags parent site. The National site now references two Dark Knight Coasters opening in May in New Jersey and Illinois. Six Flags has yet to comment on the situation.

More details as they become available.

I have checked and sure enough, there's no mention of dark knight coming to SFNE. The Republican (Western Mass newspaper) hasn't released anything yet and they've been really good at staying up to date on SFNE during this halt in construction.

I'll keep you guys posted

My friend just gave me a masslive.com link about the Six Flags opening and how it's going to be rained out.. And the article does mention Dark Knight, but not of it being cancelled.

The planned Memorial Day weekend opening of the park's most prominent new attraction - the "Dark Knight Coaster," an indoor roller coaster that will swoop through a Gotham City being battled over by Batman and The Joker - has been delayed because of permitting complications over the past several months.

Robert A. Anderson, chief of inspection for the Building Division of the state Department of Public Safety, confirmed today that details of an agreement between Six Flags and the state on a fire suppression sprinkler system and on emergency exits from the roller coaster building are in the process of being finalized.

Local permitting for the $7.5 million project was completed last week.

"We'll get the attraction open as close to Memorial Day as we can," Pinkerton said.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/04/six_flags_to_open_doors_saturd.html

Atleast it isn't cancelled. But come on, Six Flags should have gotten the permits before they started building. Didn't Mark Shapiro bash the old management because of bad planning and attractions never opened on time? I still have faith in Six Flags...Atleast they didn't close down a section of a park, yet.

Atleast it isn't cancelled. But come on, Six Flags should have gotten the permits before they started building. Didn't Mark Shapiro bash the old management because of bad planning and attractions never opened on time? I still have faith in Six Flags...Atleast they didn't close down a section of a park, yet.

Well, I know that the opening won't be all fun...From what I heard, Superman won't be open because of lift hill chain complications again.

It was most likely removed from the website because they do not know when they are going to be able to get it open. Yes, they'd like to get it open ASAP, but they can only build the ride so fast. If they left the ride on the website it could have potentially caused problems with a "New for 08" ride still far from complete.