TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, qwimjim said:

This may have been discussed before but I can't seem to find it, what's the deal with the bonzai pipelines? Someone at the park said the company that made them went bankrupt so now six flags can't get the parts it needs for annual maintenance. I noticed the drop slide at Great Escape was also closed this summer. 

I went in June, did the slides ever reopen? Is there any truth to what I was told? Seems kinda crazy

Bonsai Pipelines is made by Splashtacular.  https://splashtacular.com/hotera_project/downunder-1/

I can't find any mention of them having any kind of financial issues, they're still posting actively on social media and were apparently showing off products at an industry show last month.  Doesn't seem like that's the reason.  They were closed last time I was at the park though, sometime in mid august I believe.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice! 

Thinking I'll take my first visit to SFNE since goodness...2015? Whenever Wicked Cyclone opened. I'm guessing July 3 will be nuts but I have the day off and am trying to limit my PTO. Im assuming others have that Monday off too but sometimes gotta suck it up. Was thinking of a small road trip up to Burlington (hitting Great Escape along the way) and SFNE on the way back down. I see they finally got rid of Goliath. I 100% get it and am kinda amazed it made it that long but weirdly I kinda like the ride (well the rare windows I managed to catch it operating) lol

• 1 month later...

Screenshot_20230223-103936.thumb.png.5cde81aea38515c36912754ebe4eda76.png

Was anyone able to make sense of this? I see words such as pretzel, slides, scream, pizza, sunglasses, and store. I also see urn, zombie, die, and sin so I mean they just could be doing Goliath word association. Guessing traction and paved are just coincidences? 

Moral of the story...I don't see "B&M Dive Coaster" or "Launch Coaster" in there anywhere!

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

At the park today and it is slammed with it being spring break and 90 degrees.  

Currently in line for Superman, it took a while for it to open, but I’m currently in one of the outer switchbacks.  Very crowded.  Every so often Supergirl is making this weird, loud squeaking noise.  Everyone’s heads snap towards it when it happens, it’s kinda funny.

For those who have been saying Wicked Cyclone has been running fast have not been lying.  The park probably has their cold weather wheels on, since the weather is supposed to get more seasonable later next week. But geez, that third lap is FAST.  The airtime actually hurt.

Gonna do a few more rides then head home.

TLDR: it’s crowded, hot, and Wicked Cyclone is running super fast!

• Like 1

Stopped in for a couple hours this afternoon. Weather seemed iffy on the way in with temps in the 40s and showers, but once there the sun came out and temps went up into the 50s so a nice afternoon and low crowds today.

Obviously kind of a low staffing time of year, so Crackaxle Canyon was closed, as were Flashback, Blizzard River, and GCG. I believe everything else was open from what I could tell. 

Batman, Riddler, and Wicked Cyclone all running two trains, Superman running 1 which was fine with it being a station wait. Speaking of Superman, running a bit slow due to the cold wind but they must've done some wheel work because it was running incredibly smooth, like...smoother than any B&M hyper.

Lots of food places closed, but had lunch at JB's which I hadn't been to in a while and has gone downhill a bit. The plates are smaller and they don't have different types of sauce on the tables like they used to. Glad I still have the meal plan as I couldn't believe two plates of chicken and 2 drinks rang up to $52. 

Was in the park for a little over two hours and rode Superman, Joker, Batman, Riddler, Harley Quinn, and Cyclone and ate, so a nice uncrowded day. Overall, the park seems to be in good shape and once we get towards summer they should be good to go.

0418231533_HDR.thumb.jpg.9585c1a7378c7151afb22059a29ddab8.jpg

Most waterfalls run into a pond, but a PREMIUM waterfall just spills out all over the pathway.

0418231555.thumb.jpg.4fa6256b20317e115efae8c7c0acb7a8.jpg

This view looks a little nicer with an open plot of grass than a POS Vekoma. Hopefully Selim will get us something really nice for this spot.

0418231642_HDR.thumb.jpg.d5646de5021f538f2ca623d7a9503683.jpg

Not sure when they traded in that ugly bus for a legit trolley car, but this was pretty cool! They were running this plus TWO trams so I'll give them credit where it is due... and also remember this when they're inevitably running one tram on Saturdays in July.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, was planning on going to the park Saturday, coming from pretty far away and it's really our only day.. but the forecast doesn't look great. Looks like rain off and on all day (0.5" total) and gusts up to 30mph. 

Should the park still open?

Do they typically keep the coasters running if it's drizzling or lightly raining? There doesn't seem to be any thunderstorms forecast.

I've been to parks that basically shut down if it rains.. and others that will shut rides down if it rains, but then start them back up asap when it stops. Just wondering what this place is like.. I don't mind riding in the rain, or rain delays.. just don't want to drive all that way if they're not even going to open, or run anything. Thanks!

The park doesn't close for weather, it closes for low attendance if they can blame weather and say that they closed for weather. I absolutely would not go. They'll run rides in the rain because weather isn't actually the problem but they'll also probably close like 7 hours early.

You might get lucky and there will be a bunch of groups in the park or the weather will hold off so they can't close but I wouldn't risk it if you're coming from far away. Absolutely not...

If you do go, the rain looks pretty light so everything should be open. With that forecast you'll absolutely be able to lap the entire park in about 2 hours and then have time for some rerides before the park inevitably closes by 3:00.

23 hours ago, coasterbill said:

The park doesn't close for weather, it closes for low attendance if they can blame weather and say that they closed for weather. I absolutely would not go. They'll run rides in the rain because weather isn't actually the problem but they'll also probably close like 7 hours early.

You might get lucky and there will be a bunch of groups in the park or the weather will hold off so they can't close but I wouldn't risk it if you're coming from far away. Absolutely not...

thanks, we're coming from away but it's on our way to nyc.. i feel like if we can get 3 hours in it will have been worth it, especially with low crowds/waits..  park opens at 11, so with rain in the forecast they always open but might close at 2-3:00? or sometimes they can close even sooner after opening.. or not open at all? i guess that's less likely on a saturday?

Screenshot_20230520-142147.thumb.png.69d391839103e28487688ea1c577626c.png

I was off by an hour. 😆

Heavier rain is starting to move in now, but looks like all the important stuff has been open with no lines so I'm sure the 3.5 hours you had with lighter rain was more than enough!

Sometimes it is worthwhile to visit when the weather isn't so...clement.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 2:25 PM, Zand said:

Screenshot_20230520-142147.thumb.png.69d391839103e28487688ea1c577626c.png

I was off by an hour. 😆

Heavier rain is starting to move in now, but looks like all the important stuff has been open with no lines so I'm sure the 3.5 hours you had with lighter rain was more than enough!

Sometimes it is worthwhile to visit when the weather isn't so...clement.

we took your advice and got there for the open, it was -dead-. four laps on wicked cyclone and the kids never even had to move from the front row. kids did two laps on everything else they wanted to do (pandemonium, superman, batman, joker) and then a couple other rides and we were out of the by 1:30 when the rain went from drizzle to pretty heavy. a lot of bus groups showed up around 12:30, i think i counted over 20 in the parking lot when we left and it was pouring.. it was pretty miserable by 2:00 as we were driving away 

honestly, it was amazing lol.. if anything not having any waiting time between rides actually made my wife and i a bit woozy after a while, which doesn't usually happen. but we got more rides in 2 hours than we did last year in 8 hours

• Like 3

We were there last sunday and it was pretty dead for the first couple hours!  Got quite a few rides on our favorites.  Got more crowded early afternoon.  SROS kept broking down and reopening!  Lot of line jumping which is a shame.  Overall good experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Was planning on going to Coney Island and Great Adventure today, but traffic was already bad before even getting to Hartford and after checking the traffic near NYC I decided to head back north, until...

Screenshot_20230619-163845.thumb.png.87c639c33e57b9d8aa273b9b9ef26ede.png

Worst part is, according to queue times Great Adventure is dead. Ended up driving right past the park and went shopping and out to eat instead. Not sure if queue times is broken or if I should've just kept driving and dealt with the traffic. Not sure why the vast difference between the two parks but damn. Really wanted to ride some coasters today...oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Was in the area this afternoon, so decided to stop in...

PXL_20230627_212713903.thumb.jpg.cefbdc700212a0094783efd9ea9aef38.jpg

Where is everybody?

PXL_20230627_214127435.thumb.jpg.3aa1120074aaf4f6ad8997a27f84ecb8.jpg

These waits are definitely premium.

For the record, 90% of the people actually in the trains are reriders.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Quick Oktoberfest/Frightfest report from Saturday:

Arrived around 2:00 to a comfortable crowd...lively but not crazy. Goals today were to ride Wicked Cyclone and Superman, have lunch, and check out the Oktoberfest offerings. Anything else would be a bonus. Pretty classic October weather with gray skies and temps in the low 50s.

Didn't take too long to achieve my goals. Ate at JBs on arrival with absolutely no wait and the food was ready before we even got to our seats. Wicked Cyclone had a quick 10-15 minute wait for a fun backseat ride. Skyscreamer was a short line when I was up there so I hopped on that too. Wasn't windy enough to spin the seats around, but for some reason they slow the spinning down to almost a stop when the gondola gets to the top. It's almost an unnerving feeling because it makes it feel like it's about to go all Windseeker on you and break down in mid air, but then it speeds back up and starts to descend. Weird, but still fun and it's always bizarre spinning in reverse.

Made our way down to Superman passing a long Thunderbolt line and Scream running one tower (it's only a Frightfest Saturday but ok...) and found a line inside the final canopy. In 10 quick minutes we were in the station with a two train wait for the back. Surprised to see the heat lamps in use but it allowed the ride to run pretty quick and still very smooth. Superman at SFA kind of beats you up on a few of the transitions but this thing is running as smooth as it was 23 years ago. 

Headed up to check out the Oktoberfest scene which was pretty busy but grabbed a pretzel and some beers and listened to the band that was playing for a while. It was a fun atmosphere and pretty well done by Six Flags standards. Also watched abysmal dispatch times at Joker, Riddler, and Batman and decided I was happy to skip those today. 

Around 6:00 we checked out a couple of the smaller Frightfest setups but the bigger crowds were streaming in and we hit the road around 6:30. Fun afternoon!

PXL_20231014_180829098.thumb.jpg.7b51c6e559d8512228f8c121e094d81a.jpg

Thundercow?

PXL_20231014_180947908.thumb.jpg.6f38389acf0d27696916a96b9375ae3f.jpg

This maze is a much better use of Goliath's plot than Goliath was. 

PXL_20231014_185048478.thumb.jpg.1193352b5d823f8d3eaede76af80593f.jpg

I always thought these banners are both a cool nod to the history of the park as well as a really awkward place to mark where the trash bins are in JB's. Either that or the park thinks their best restaurant is trash. Idk.

PXL_20231014_193251341.thumb.jpg.b472daf9f6a0ec2eaba8babaff727513.jpg

I spy 6 coasters in this shot!

PXL_20231014_201837964.thumb.jpg.665a6aa73fc4008e7ba0a124d04539f2.jpg

Heatlamp the Ride

PXL_20231014_202748099.thumb.jpg.96f4a620123a682b87c256fdf436880d.jpg

I'm not sure if this bar is new or if I've been very non-observant the past few visits, but pretty cool little spot right under Superman. Will have to check it out next time I'm there!

PXL_20231014_205012278_MP.thumb.jpg.35efd40640d078f835814f87b70d59ca.jpg

Prost!

PXL_20231014_220047531.thumb.jpg.969d50660d85de685d18523e2a72d901.jpg

Guess I'll need to hop a flight to LA because there's no "Riddler's Revenge" in this park lol.

PXL_20231014_221845181.thumb.jpg.60f2e736b91665cdd4d8ac4530651a1e.jpg

Goodnight SFNE

PXL_20231014_222343330_MP.thumb.jpg.ca5a8fe0a59bd9dcd5972c44cf872002.jpg

Premium one tram ops on a Saturday night.

• Like 3

Quick note to add: we went last night and had almost the exact same experience (almost all good, couple of sluggish ride attendants). Only want to add we sampled quite a bit of the Oktoberfest beer and food, and I have to add it was *actually* good! Not just *Six Flags* good! In fact, the pretzel was the least favorite item we had. Especially the bratwurst-on-a-skewer -- delicious. My wife and I were completely shocked.

46 minutes ago, BobloLives said:

Quick note to add: we went last night and had almost the exact same experience (almost all good, couple of sluggish ride attendants). Only want to add we sampled quite a bit of the Oktoberfest beer and food, and I have to add it was *actually* good! Not just *Six Flags* good! In fact, the pretzel was the least favorite item we had. Especially the bratwurst-on-a-skewer -- delicious. My wife and I were completely shocked.

they must have rolled out recipes/directions chain wide. . . as I noted in my SFFT review of Octoberfest/Frightfest from Sat, the food was all Excellent.

and at SFFT, everything from the booths could count as a "snack" on the Meal Plans. . which was nice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight I fell victim to forgetting to check to make sure Six Flags didn't decide to change their hours at the last minute. Stopped at the park on the way to NJ, arriving around 3:30 and expecting to have till 7 but apparently this week they cut it back to 6. My fault as it should almost be expected at this point that the hours are likely to get f*cked with any given day.

Figuring I had plenty of time, I started with a tour of Gotham which took a bit longer than expected as there were actually people at the park despite temps in the 30s. Everything in the park was open (unlike a certain park in NJ that I'll be at tomorrow) except Crackaxle, but running one train on everything and a lot of the coasters had 5+ cycle waits which I didn't expect. 

I then took my time eating at JBs and headed for Cyclone around 5:45, figuring I'd have time to hit that and then Superman a few times. Well, joke was on me when I was in the Cyclone station to hear "the next train will be the last of the night." Fun cold wheel ride which ran fast with good airtime, but unfortunately that was the end of the night. Guess Superman will have to wait another 5 months.

I'll make up for it by riding another good Intamin tomorrow.

To be fair the park did post the new hours on Facebook back on Wednesday. And kudos to them for having the whole park open except the 3 Crackaxle rides. Staffing was obviously thin but they made what they could out of it. I'm sure the Cedar Fair influence will kill off the November closings and revert back to Halloween, so this may have been the end of Veterans Day rides. Hope not. See you in April SFNE (or mid May if we start getting Cedar Fair schedules).

• 4 months later...