TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

I loved the front row on this coaster and just the gradual climb up to facing straight at the ground before final dropping and ripping through the station.  After that it was good luck and hope for the best.  Had a few good rides and a whole lot of terrible jack hammering ones as well.  Seems like the right choice to finally remove it but with SFNE not even able to open rides yet I do hope that they'll still commit budget to replace it when it does comes down.  Otherwise that will be a pretty large empty spot in the middle of the park.  Even if it wasn't running it still looked good there at least.

Nooooo! I was finally going to get here this year to ride this and I was legitimately excited! Forever elusive, like the Jewpacawbra, the GIB shall be for me.

talking eric cartman GIF by South Park

This post was intended to be funny, if it was not for you I apologize.

Nice! I'll still be relatively (ish) near by! Im all for protocols but wow, Mass is no joke..... but hey can't knock em for being safe, guess would rather it go too far than too little, and just like how parks don't cater to us snobby enthusiasts a state government sure as hell won't lol 

Just glad its can reopen! Stoked to go. Curious if Wicked Cyclone really has declined with time as some have said. And yeah I mean, mild shame about Goliath but tbh can't believe it even lasted this long. If anyone wants to meet up between May 10 and 31 Im down (though I'll be out the region from the 13th to 24 so honestly I'll prob be looking to go near park opening or end of month. 

Wicked Cyclone hasn't declined. Sometimes at the end of the ride it runs slower based on weather / time of day or whatever (all coasters do this of course but it's a pretty noticeable difference with this one) and that's been true since the day it opened but even then I've never had a bad ride on it.

• Like 2

I wonder if the park will open ASAP. They've been doing employment drives knowing this day would (eventually) come plus they have a couple weeks heads up. May 10th is a Monday so I bet they open Friday the 14th or something.

36 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

Wicked Cyclone hasn't declined. Sometimes at the end of the ride it runs slower based on weather / time of day or whatever (all coasters do this of course but it's a pretty noticeable difference with this one) and that's been true since the day it opened but even then I've never had a bad ride on it.

Figures. Sigh...I always tell myself dont listen to most enthusiasts, despite all logic they tend to be wrong/no idea what they say most of the time and sure enough
You being a rare exception so kudos XD   And yeah it did run a bit off at one point in the day (I went like opening week) but still kicked ass. Can't wait 

Oof...I HOPE the park is ready to open on the 10th. As ya said, it was coming eventually. But yeah deff excited to stop here at least once before I ship out of New England 

Their dino event is slated to run through May 23.  I suspect the latest they'd reopen the full park would be Memorial Day weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start soft opening some rides for the dino event.

This announcement was paired with Massachusetts relaxing its outdoor mask mandate.  Now masks are only required outdoors if you can't physically social distance.  I strongly suspect Six Flags will make them mandatory inside the park like they've done for their other parks and that would especially make sense given how long it took for them to finally reopen.

1 hour ago, JJLehto said:

Curious if Wicked Cyclone really has declined with time as some have said. And yeah I mean, mild shame about Goliath but tbh can't believe it even lasted this long. If anyone wants to meet up between May 10 and 31 Im down (though I'll be out the region from the 13th to 24 so honestly I'll prob be looking to go near park opening or end of month. 

Wicked Cyclone is a weird one.  It seems to run better in the cold which is the opposite of how most coasters run.  When it runs slow, the ride starts bleeding speed on the final lap.  The ride still gives good airtime, but you'll feel a pause in between the elements.

Yeah but thats fine. See that's normal. I wish people wouldn't use "decline" that implies its gotten worse with age, opposed to what Id hope most enthusiasts would know that rides can be temperamental. But yeah hopefully they get it open before the end of May. Its not terribly far from me in NJ but also not worth it when others are closer so yeah would love to stop here before I gotta move back! 

4 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

Their dino event is slated to run through May 23.  I suspect the latest they'd reopen the full park would be Memorial Day weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start soft opening some rides for the dino event.

This announcement was paired with Massachusetts relaxing its outdoor mask mandate.  Now masks are only required outdoors if you can't physically social distance.  I strongly suspect Six Flags will make them mandatory inside the park like they've done for their other parks and that would especially make sense given how long it took for them to finally reopen.

Wicked Cyclone is a weird one.  It seems to run better in the cold which is the opposite of how most coasters run.  When it runs slow, the ride starts bleeding speed on the final lap.  The ride still gives good airtime, but you'll feel a pause in between the elements.

The last time I rode WC (a super hot and humid day in July 2019) it was running so slow that the Zero-G Rolls almost felt like JoJo Rolls. 

I had ridden Steel Vengeance and Twisted Timbers in the month before that and Wicked Cyclone was visibly running so slow in comparison that it literally looked like watching a YouTube video at 75% speed. It was almost comical. Still super fun to ride but felt so bizarre.

Members and passholders: May 14

Public: May 15

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210427006188/en/Six-Flags-Announces-Reopening-of-Six-Flags-New-England-Hurricane-Harbor-Los-Angeles-and-Hurricane-Harbor-Concord

Edit: ah someone beat me to it

Back on the Windexcyanide topic (never forget word filters), I could very well be wrong but I'm pretty sure they run more than one type of wheel on it. In the cooler season it runs different because of the wheels they put on. Yes weather effects it too but I think that's why you see such a difference sometimes (and why it makes a different sound).

Someone please correct me if I'm just making this sh!t up. lol

Edit again:

When it first opened as per RMC: "the train is running a combination of nylon, steel, and urethane wheels" -- so in other words there are times when they switch things out. I forgot where I gained all of this wisdom but it intrigued me because it's completely true that sometimes the ride is barely making it back, and some times is absolutely running in hyper speed; regardless of weather.

Edited by anonymouscactus
Too much nerd for one day
  • Like 1

Made a reservation for preview night. Should be able to get over there for a couple hours. Never been on a Friday in May without hundreds of school busses dropping kids off, so might actually be decent!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Canobie Coaster said:

Has anyone been able to determine what the hours for preview night are?  They aren't on the calendar.

Going by the available reservations when I was on the app an hour ago, 4-9. But who knows if that's official.

Just now, Canobie Coaster said:

Looks like they just added it to the calendar.  It's 5-10.

Hmm...thats weird that they had 4:00 available for reservations, but that's better as I wont be there from work till at least 6 (which is what I reserved). Glad I'll have more time.

Looks like the calendar has been updated through September. 7 day ops don't start until June 14th (2 weeks later than usual) and end on August 28th (1 week earlier than normal). Also the park will close at 8 Monday-Thursday during midsummer. Hopefully that's just for this year.

Calendar stops short of Fright Fest, although with the state's full reopening date of August 1, I expect Fright Fest to be fairly back to normal and hopefully also HITP.