TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Total guess but at this point I think the park probably knows when they will be allowed to open but might not be able to say just yet. Like the two HITP events we will probably see an announcement with a short window to opening day from there. 🤞

12 hours ago, Sluggo77 said:

Total guess but at this point I think the park probably knows when they will be allowed to open but might not be able to say just yet. Like the two HITP events we will probably see an announcement with a short window to opening day from there. 🤞

Ya probably right......can’t wait to get back

Did see someone post a video of Wicked Cyclone running in the rain Sunday.  I'll most likely be driving past the park tomorrow so if anything is running I'll try to grab a few pics.

EDIT:  Looks like SFNE is going to have a little more walk through with no rides at least starting April 10th - May 23rd.  Dinosaur Walk-Thru Experience details up on the site now.  Also see dates showing up in the app but doesn't look like you can reserve yet.

https://www.sixflags.com/newengland/events/dinosaur-walk-thru

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, ice1972 said:

Oh for F's sake......still nothing from Baker......meanwhile Lake Compounce in CT was able to open today no restrictions.......what a bunch of Massholes up there in Boston......come on

LC doesn’t open until May 8th and there will still be safety restrictions. Not sure where you heard otherwise.

I do agree that Mass. needs to let SFNE open though. Today started the Dinosaur walk through but people are getting more and more pissed that rides can’t open.  Think it’s great that the park is still trying but rides are what people ultimately want. 

That is pretty unusual. I get people may end up near each other/crowds can happen but parks....nightclubs? That's a weird group of entities lol Guessing the chances of this place opening by June 1 is not looking so good?

1 hour ago, Canobie Coaster said:

Sports stadiums were able to get out of Phase 4 Step 2, so there's hope, especially considering how amusement parks have done in other states.  I know Six Flags New England is trying, but the state won't budge.

Interesting. Yeah that is hopeful esp as I imagine a park can allow more distance/protocol even than a stadium. Would deff love to pop by hear before I move out of NE but we shall see! And oh yeah, no doubt the park wants to open bad.

And those who have messaged the park have gotten confirmation (not that the map didn't already do so) that Goliath will not operate for 2021 and the ride's future is undetermined.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's removed considering all its downtime.  It's a maintenance nightmare and that ride hates the New England weather.

1 hour ago, Canobie Coaster said:

And those who have messaged the park have gotten confirmation (not that the map didn't already do so) that Goliath will not operate for 2021 and the ride's future is undetermined.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's removed considering all its downtime.  It's a maintenance nightmare and that ride hates the New England weather.

Has Goliath always been a rough ride; even with the original Vekoma train?

I really enjoyed Goliath with it's original train. It's horrible now in most rows and since you can't always choose your row it's like playing Russian Roulette. Also, it operated for approximately 6 minutes per season. It's time for it to go.

^ For a long time the front was considered the best row and I defended the ride, but even the front was an uncomfortable experience in 2019.  It's a shame they replaced the old trains since the ride was a lot of fun with them.

It's a shame they're going to let it sit there all season, we all know its never going to operate there again.

I'm sure money is super tight for SFNE, but the right park might want to snatch it up for cheap and refurb it a bit. (I'm not saying it should be saved because it was a good ride, but because the park could probably use a little bit of extra money right now).

I think the writing was on the wall for this one. Not sure what took them so long to remove it (or at least make it SBNO). I have not visited SFNE personally, but I shutter every time I here of the "legendary for all the wrong reasons" Premier trains. What causes them to be so bad? Is it Premier's design, or just a Six Flags thing?

Since Aftershock is now seemingly the only one of it's kind in the US, I wonder if Goliath will become a parts donor? Aftershock runs pretty consistently (when the weather is good), but it doesn't seem that popular at SW. At least the uniqueness, now makes it feel a little less like "just another boomerang".

Yeah, at the end of the day the coaster is 20 years old and has never worked reliably. The chain had two other ones that were also totally unreliable. The fact that 10 years ago after having 3 of these things run terribly for a decade they decided to ship it all the way across the country (literally pretty much all the way) and expect it to start working for some reason is really stupid. The fact that they put it next to another Boomerang and had it facing the same direction is also really stupid. The fact that they spent a ton of money and about 2 years of their time on a new train to make the ride worse and not make it any more reliable is also really stupid.

Every single thing about this ride's history is really stupid and really weird. Sure, the ride used to be kind-of-good for awhile but it was never worth the aggravation even on it's best day. Now that (in addition to everything I mentioned above) the ride also aggressively sucks just makes me wonder why they didn't do this sooner.

• Like 1

Guess I'm the only one around here that still really enjoyed the ride, even with the new trains.  I must just have some incredible luck; I've never really gotten a particularly rough ride on it, even in 2019, and it was running every time I made it to the park.

Just a bit frustrating, with SFNE and Lake Compounce being my home parks, to see yet another ride being removed without anything to replace it.

It still amuses that every time I visited a U.S. park that featured a Giant Inverted Boomerang, the ride was always broken. I had to go all the way to China with TPR to finally ride one. 😆 It was fun, but that one had issues that day, too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jason Maier said:

Has Goliath always been a rough ride; even with the original Vekoma train?

It used to run amazingly! I rode it was Deja Vu at Magic Mountain. It debuted the same year as X. What a year for SFMM. I then went to college in NYC and took a Greyhound to SFNE to pay homage to the iconic coaster it once was...and was totally disappointed. The new trains are incredibly terrible. It was a fun experience in the front row, but it's not always guaranteed. Such a shame, because the drop and the elements are amazingly fun and thrilling...but with the Vekoma trains. I really hope they put in some work and bring back the old trains, or just remove it altogether and put in something new. 

Last time I rode Goliath was 2015 and wouldn't say it was smooth, well it wasn't lol but it was not sooo bad, I did enjoy the ride. I thought it was pretty fun! Certainly wasn't rough enough to take away but if it got worse since I could see it really getting into unbearable. Agreed the bigger problem I had was in my three visits to SFNE I do think it was running a cumulative 3 hours lol Im sure regulars had better luck. Always sad when a ride is removed esp now when we cant know when replacements will happen, if at all but I realllly cant blame the park for this one. I mean downtime was famously heinous