TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Got a survey from SF but it wasn't SFNE specific but with other SF parks already open I'm hoping maybe this could be a good sign for a possible opening this season......Mass reopening policies seem to be very strict for amusement parks....we'll see.....

^Mass isn't budging on the vaccination thing needed to advance to Phase 4 which is where they have amusement parks for reopening.......if Mass was going to work with Six Flags for an exemption it would have been done weeks ago and they would already be opening......

I wonder if SFNE is running the rides occasionally or are they just sitting dormant.......such a bummer....

Not yet open? Oof....

I'll be in New England in under a week, so would be a darn shame if it failed to open for this year.

What's the deal? (Sorry been used to FL and NJ protocols!) other SF parks are open, I assume it's a statewide standard thing?

Prob but I will be 100% honest, this is the internet, and reading a lot (alot) has been my life in recent years. I just don't bother when I come here to post. Tis my mental check out time.

People can be mad lol

But thanks. Tis a shame, I was excited to have an RMC so close, even if supposedly it's lost its speed on the last lap. Guess I'll spam Lake Compounce

The weirdest part about going to NJ and back is that down there, indoor dining is still banned but amusement parks are open, arcade are open, AND you can sit at a bar.

In MA? Our restaurants have been open inside for over a month now and STRIP CLUBS are open, but god forbid you go to a nice outdoor amusement park or sit at a bar (which is somehow different than a waitress coming to your table). You can go bowling, play pool, and play slot machines but no pinball because you'll drop dead next week.

Bias towards amusement parks aside, I still think New Jersey is on the right side of this one.

Bias towards amusement parks aside, I still think New Jersey is on the right side of this one.

Aside from that whole "banning" 2/3rds of the country from visiting, including neighboring states.

Aside from that whole "banning" 2/3rds of the country from visiting, including neighboring states.

Oh we've one upped that one too. Starting Saturday, anyone traveling to MA from outside the state (except from the other New England states, NY, NJ, and HI) that doesn't sign up on the state web site AND quarantine for two weeks will be subject to a $500 fine per day, including MA residents. This comes just weeks after the governor stated two weeks ago that doing anything of the sort is unconstitutional and wouldn't happen here.

I'd bet a large sum of money that the bark will be louder than the bite and virtually no one will actually be fined (nor will this even be enforced) but as far as I know, no constitutional amendments have been made in the last two weeks so not sure why the sudden change of tune.

Meanwhile, MA is in a pissing contest with Maine because Maine is allowing residents of many other states (including ones on the MA mandatory list like PA and OH) to visit without quarantine but residents of MA and RI aren't allowed. Vermont is doing the same thing except they're breaking it down by county.

Honestly just tired of all the political BS. I've been doing my best to safely support anyone who shows they have a good enough cleaning/distancing program. All of the people you see online or on TV are always in two camps: bitching that mask rules and gradually opening things is stupid because COVID is a hoax, or we've opened way too much and everyone should sit inside for a year and a half until there's a vaccine. Luckily in the real world (unless you're in Florida or Texas apparently) it seems like most people that are out and about are respectful of each other and their space.

As much as it sucks not having SFNE this year, at least Canobie and Lake Compounce aren't much further for me and then NJ and PA are about 4-5 hours, close enough.

Oh we've one upped that one too. Starting Saturday, anyone traveling to MA from outside the state (except from the other New England states, NY, NJ, and HI) that doesn't sign up on the state web site AND quarantine for two weeks will be subject to a $500 fine per day, including MA residents. This comes just weeks after the governor stated two weeks ago that doing anything of the sort is unconstitutional and wouldn't happen here.

I'd bet a large sum of money that the bark will be louder than the bite and virtually no one will actually be fined (nor will this even be enforced) but as far as I know, no constitutional amendments have been made in the last two weeks so not sure why the sudden change of tune.

Meanwhile, MA is in a pissing contest with Maine because Maine is allowing residents of many other states (including ones on the MA mandatory list like PA and OH) to visit without quarantine but residents of MA and RI aren't allowed. Vermont is doing the same thing except they're breaking it down by county.

Honestly just tired of all the political BS. I've been doing my best to safely support anyone who shows they have a good enough cleaning/distancing program. All of the people you see online or on TV are always in two camps: bitching that mask rules and gradually opening things is stupid because COVID is a hoax, or we've opened way too much and everyone should sit inside for a year and a half until there's a vaccine. Luckily in the real world (unless you're in Florida or Texas apparently) it seems like most people that are out and about are respectful of each other and their space.

As much as it sucks not having SFNE this year, at least Canobie and Lake Compounce aren't much further for me and then NJ and PA are about 4-5 hours, close enough.

Wow, I stand corrected. And I thought the NJ/PA/DE world sucked, but that's just insane. My sympathies.

I don't get how malls are open: which I doubt they disinfect tables with piles of clothes people have touched after every person has even put a finger on it. Along with this, you don't get a temperature check when you enter a mall. It's so obnoxious that an OUTDOOR theme park, that has shown that they can be open with precautions and still be fun, can't be open, but a closed, confined mall can be.

I don't get how malls are open: which I doubt they disinfect tables with piles of clothes people have touched after every person has even put a finger on it. Along with this, you don't get a temperature check when you enter a mall. It's so obnoxious that an OUTDOOR theme park, that has shown that they can be open with precautions and still be fun, can't be open, but a closed, confined mall can be.

Welcome to 2020, where up is down, right is wrong, law and order is terrorism, and illogic rules the day. The Governors do not require your comprehension, merely your compliance. Doublethink is a reality. Two plus two is sometimes five.

• 2 weeks later...

They're not going to open Holiday in the Park. There's no reason for them to do that.

Anyway guys, I get that people are annoyed with some of these restrictions and in SOME cases I'm with you but let's stop trying to inject politics into everything like for example whatever this means...

law and order is terrorism

I know there's a fine line between theme parks and politics in some states right now and feel free to talk about that within reason but don't use this as a platform to inject your irrelevant political grievances into someone else's theme park forum.

It's annoying Six Flags New England most likley won't open this year, but the parks in New Hampshire and Connecticut are doing a great job creating a safe, fun environment so at least New Englanders have those within driving distance.

One more time for the people in the back; re-posting political posts that have nothing to do with theme parks is the same as posting them yourself. Congratulations, you have a political opinion. Nobody cares. It's a theme park forum. We're just going to delete your posts. Do people get the shakes and start hyperventilating when they can't inject irrelevant political opinions into absolutely everything?

It's annoying Six Flags New England most likley won't open this year, but the parks in New Hampshire and Connecticut are doing a great job creating a safe, fun environment so at least New Englanders have those within driving distance.

I sort of feel the same way. Rules are inconsistent but at least in the Northeast there are a bunch of states with different rules within short driving distance so you can basically do whatever you want if you're willing to drive an hour or two.

Edited by coasterbill

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering if Six Flags New England may still be looking to open. After missing the entire summer season, I would have told you there was no chance they'd try to open, but there are some clues and recent developments in Massachusetts that leads me to believe there's a slim chance Six Flags New England could open for a tiny bit later this year.

Great Escape and Six Flags Darien Lake recently posted messages to their website saying they'd remain closed for the entire 2020 season. Six Flags New England did not. Six Flags New England still has the temporary closure message on the site. Playing devil's advocate here, the park maybe just hasn't gotten around to changing it.

Amusement parks have always been classified in Phase 4 in Massachusetts, which meant they could not open until there was a cure or deployed vaccine for covid. Gyms, family entertainment centers, and arcades were also grouped in Phase 4, but these three places were given permission to reopen. FECs had to take similar precautions to Six Flags on a smaller scale to open their rides like bumper cars and go karts. But I think what happened with arcades is more interesting.

An arcade in Salem, MA sued the Massachusetts governor to reopen (Link). It's a move similar to what Cedar Fair did to the state of Ohio. And Massachusetts said arcades could reopen. Their rationale is what really catches my eye.

“Arcades have been open for a while in some of the states surrounding us and we spend a lot of time talking to our colleagues in those states,” Baker said. “And they basically said that with capacity limitations, rules, hand sanitizer, and all the rest, that they’ve been able to be open safely. And we felt based on the data we got from our colleagues in other states that that was enough to move forward.”

Based on this precedent with arcades, I wonder if Six Flags would consider suing Massachusetts to force the state's hand like the arcade owners did. If the Massachusetts governor applies the same thinking to amusement parks as he did for arcades, it looks like there may be a way for Six Flags New England (and Edaville) to reopen. As far as I know, there haven't been any outbreaks traced back to the open theme parks in the nearby states (New Hampshire, Connecticut, New Jersey).

As crazy as it would be to open for such a short time, it has major financial implications for Six Flags. They promised members one month would be added to their memberships for every month they remain closed. If they can open in October or November, they only owe members 6 months. If they fail to open at all this year, that doubles the amount they owe members (assuming they continued paying).

Great Escape and Six Flags Darien Lake recently posted messages to their website saying they'd remain closed for the entire 2020 season. Six Flags New England did not. Six Flags New England still has the temporary closure message on the site. Playing devil's advocate here, the park maybe just hasn't gotten around to changing it.

No, I entirely think that you're onto something. I think they still want to open for HITP so they can start billing people again, and honestly... awesome. I hope it works out for them. I don't think it's looking good but I'm glad that they're still trying.

Does Darien Lake do Holiday in the Park typically? I know Great Escape doesn't.

It would be crazy if Six Flags New England only opened for Holiday in the Park, but based on how arcades opened, I have to think amusement parks will do the same.

Darien Lake does not do Holiday in the Park.