TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Hi. I'll admit I haven't read the 792 pages of posts, but then again, I'm sure the first 600 or so are out of date LOL.

I am going to make my first trip to SFNE since I used to have a season pass in 1991 back when it was Riverside.

I understand a bit has changed...

I'm wondering if the regulars can help me out with a couple things.

First, is there a suggested ride order first thing in the morning OR rides that have notoriously poor throughput that should be hit early?

Second, the $30 for parking is nuts, but at least it sounds like we can drive out and back in, so we'll probably go elsewhere for lunch and a break in the hottest part of the day. Any recommendations for somewhere relatively nearby for a relaxed off site lunch?

Oh, and I guess I'll ask one more... any rides that are especially awesome at dusk or night?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share!

Honestly, unless you’re going on a weekend SFNE never gets crowded enough that you need to prioritize doing anything first. As for lunch, there’s a pizza place down the street called Nicky’s pizza that’s very very good. And ride Superman at night and in the front seat.

Hi. I'll admit I haven't read the 792 pages of posts, but then again, I'm sure the first 600 or so are out of date LOL.

I am going to make my first trip to SFNE since I used to have a season pass in 1991 back when it was Riverside.

I understand a bit has changed...

I'm wondering if the regulars can help me out with a couple things.

First, is there a suggested ride order first thing in the morning OR rides that have notoriously poor throughput that should be hit early?

Second, the $30 for parking is nuts, but at least it sounds like we can drive out and back in, so we'll probably go elsewhere for lunch and a break in the hottest part of the day. Any recommendations for somewhere relatively nearby for a relaxed off site lunch?

Oh, and I guess I'll ask one more... any rides that are especially awesome at dusk or night?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share!

Depending on when you are planning to go you might want to just buy a season pass since the sale is coming up very soon. Get’s you admission and free parking every visit for the rest of this year and all next year for all SF’s parks. Not separate water parks though. Best coasters are Superman and Wicked Cyclone and both are great day and night. Much improved coaster lineup now compared to the Riverside days. Harley Quinn is my favorite flat. If you are looking for a nice sit down restaurant to break up your day Cals in West Springfield isn’t to far away and I’ve never had anything I didn’t like there. It’s really good. https://www.calswoodfiredgrill.com/

Thanks for the season pass suggestion but I'm coming from Seattle and haven't been to SFNE in about 30 years.

(I did have SF Magic Mountain passes last year, precisely for the reason you mentioned, we were doing a multi day visit and was cheaper to just buy passes for everyone... too bad that was last year.)

I don't think it is likely that we would be able to use the passes again this year... though it is an interesting suggestion, as it doesn't take much for the pass to make sense.

We'll be at the park Monday so I am not sure if the sale you mentioned will happen in time.

Hmmm. Interesting concept for sure though.

Thank you for the restaurant suggestion. I appreciate it.

Mostly I was looking for any warnings regarding rides that are kind of useless in terms of re-ride potential but tend to have long lines because of the way they are constructed... always seems to me that every park has a couple of these, and I'm wondering which ones match that description at SFNE.

The Cyclone was one of my favorites and I'm really excited to see what they've done with it.

Oh yea the sale won’t start by then. To bad since you could have used it closer to you later this year and all next year. Cyborg is the newest ride and has low capacity so if you want to do it that may be one to do early. It’s a family indoor flat with some decent theming down by Superman. If you want a spinal adjustment hit Goliath earlier if it’s open. It can gain a line just do to capacity to. If you have a history with SLC’s still don’t skip Ridder. New restraints have made it fun without head banging. Wicked Cyclone is awesome. Post your thoughts compared to Cyclone here after you get to ride it.

Outside of that just go to the ride types you enjoy the most.

If you want to ride Goliath, ride it as soon as you see it operating since it will likely break down and/or have a slow moving line. Outside of that, I usually find the two worst waits are for Harley Quinn and the New England SkyScreamer.

For coasters, Pandemonium gets the longest queue but it has an unmarked single rider line up the Flash Pass ramp.

Thanks for the advice, really, and please anyone else chime in, I'm actively reading the thread, happy to listen to all suggestions.

I suspect that Joker is probably also one to hit early because of capacity?

I had some GREAT rides on Cyclone back in the day especially in late fall, when it was warm in the day and cold at night... the ride would really speed up as the rails cooled off, especially if it had been humid.

If you want to ride Goliath, ride it as soon as you see it operating since it will likely break down and/or have a slow moving line. Outside of that, I usually find the two worst waits are for Harley Quinn and the New England SkyScreamer.

For coasters, Pandemonium gets the longest queue but it has an unmarked single rider line up the Flash Pass ramp.

Another secret Single Rider line is the one for Batman the Dark Knight, you go up the exit and they will let you board in any open seat. This is good because Batman is one of the few coasters that gets a line thanks to its awful operations

I took my singing and dancing fun to the park today and rode Cyborg Hyper Drive. I couldn't hear Grid's voice over the ride noise, but there's a video of the ride with the ride audio on YouTube and Grid's voice is definitely SEXY. "Sabotage? Quite the opposite."

I wonder if they would replace that Wipeout with an Endeavor since that ride pad has the space and it would be similar in size to the old Flying Enterprise... or whatever they called it.

That wouldn't be a bad idea, that old Chance Wipeout gets a lot of downtime and I wouldn't be surprised if Kollider/Joker's Wildcard/whatever you call it is taken off line. Nightwing old pad in the middle of S:ROS's finale has been a spot that has seen a surprising number of occupants. It'd be nice to just have one solid, headache free anchor attraction there that's family friendly. Not everyone can ride S:ROS or a Cyborg dark spin-and-puke.

^ If you're arguing for a family friendly ride, I wouldn't quite call an Endeavor that as they're quite intense.

I think a Supergirl theme is a lock based on the 252 hint. But with Six Flags always reusing names for different rides, there's no guarantee it would be an endeavor.

Thanks for the advice on this thread. We had a decent day this last Monday. The park was fairly crowded by my standards, usually 15 minute waits for most things, often more than that. The biggest winner in terms of advice was probably the Pandemonium single rider line -- we wouldn't have had the time to wait in that line, it was over a half hour.

I was quite impressed with Joker but that's probably partially because there was zero line and so it was easy to re-ride.

Wicked Cyclone was smooth and fun but the ride felt really short compared to the original Riverside Cyclone. It also didn't have the same "barnstorming" sort of feel as the original. Evaluating it on its own merits, it did have a great start, middle, and end, but somehow didn't rise to the level of epic for me.

Superman was good but the restraints reminded me (in a bad way) of Skyrush aka "Thigh Crush" at Hersheypark. Ugh.

Thunderbolt was amazingly smooth for an old woodie. I was super impressed with that, given that we had been at Compounce the day before and gotten battered by Wildcat.

We hit Cal's for lunch as another poster suggested and that was perfect for what we needed... dark, air conditioned, lots of food options, not too far away.

It would have been nice if the park was less crowded as we probably got no more than three rides on any single coaster... Many of them we only did once, due to time. We were there all day except for a 2 hour break at the hottest time of the day. I think there might have been a bunch of school or church groups.

Anyhow, thanks again for all the advice and suggestions.