TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Any of you TPR folks heading to SFNE this Friday August 26th and fancy a meet up? Heading to Boston and thinking about making an impulsive trip down there to finally ride Superman (before 1pm...) as I've been wanting to ride that thing for years. Does it run just as well as when it first opened years ago besides the new themes or not so much...

Does it run just as well as when it first opened years ago besides the new themes or not so much...

No, but it's still a great ride. It's not rough or anything it's just a bit sluggish and has stupid restraints. If you can, ride it in row 1. It used to be a back seat ride but now it's a front seat ride.

Is it because it is near the end of the season and the park is understaffed? Or is this permanent now?

On Wicked Cyclone the Flash Pass person also serves as the grouper so I'm sure they're still there since they're essential to being able to sell Flash Passes. It's not a position you can cut. I'm cautiously optimistic on this one.

Good news. The park is now allowing choice of seats on Wicked Cyclone and on Superman during the non VR hours.

Is it fill in any available row or do they let you wait multiple trains for a specific seat?

They are filling the station and you can wait and pick.

Superman sluggish? I was there two weeks ago and the thing was flying. Granted I didn't ride it before 2014, but this year were probably the best rides I had on it.

It's sluggish and yes the restraints stink compared to the original trains before the Bizzaro switch over. It's still an awesome ride though.

We had basically the perfect VR experience today. We got in line around 12:20 and were the first group to get the headsets at 1, so we only had to wait about 40 minutes with the ride running at normal capacity the whole time.

So without having to wait a ridiculously long time, I LOVED IT IT WAS SO AWESOME OH MY GOD. It was seriously intense, especially the second half of the ride. I had to hold on to my goggles or they would have slipped right off my face. It really felt like you flipped upside down at one point. The airtime felt even stronger not being able to see it coming. This made the whole trip worth it, I really wish there was some way they could fix the operations issue and keep it as a permanent feature of the ride.

I was all ready to say "c'mon guys, Goliath isn't that bad!" but nope, f*ck that ride, never again. I was expecting head banging issues so i leaned my head forward, only to find the inversions tolerable and the straightaways bumpy trampoline nightmares. No defensive riding can fix that.

My first ride on my first RMC and, wellll... I liked the wide variety of elements and of course the airtime was fantastic. But the ride never truly felt "out of control" like the best coasters do, and only one element caught me by surprise in intensity (the outer banked airtime hill during the turnaround behind the overbank). I didn't think the inversions added much to the ride. With all the crazy-looking track I expected to be whipped around a little more, but instead the constant varying of the banking just gave the whole ride this kind of weird bobbing motion, almost like riding a mechanical bull. It hauled through the end pretty well, but having the strongest elements at the middle of the ride instead of the end, unlike Lightning Run or even Superman across the park, will always keep it out of the top tier for me. My expectations were probably set a little too high. I think if I went on a cooler, less-crowded day and got several rides in a row I'd learn to love it. I will say that I liked how some of the transitions felt a little more "raw" and imperfect than most modern coasters. I appreciated being able to wait for the back row. Oh and the theming was actually... Really cool? Also unexpected.

^ The "mechanical bull" motion you experienced seems to be a feature of some RMC's, I felt the same way on TC at SFMM. Goliath at SFGAM doesn't have that issue but the constant undulation of TC wasn't really a fun or pleasant feeling for me despite how awesome the layout looked in videos and on paper.

The Joker New England’s First 4D Free-Fly Coaster Coming to Six Flags New England

Innovative New Ride Offers Epic Thrills

AGAWAM, Mass — September 1, 2016 — Six Flags New England, the Coaster Capital of New England in partnership with Warner Bros. Consumer Products on behalf of DC Entertainment today announced plans to add its 13th coaster to the park, The Joker: 4D Free Fly Coaster. This unique coaster experience will feature theming based on the iconic Super-Villain The Joker and be located in the park’s South End.

After being lifted straight up a 120-foot hill, this 4D Wing Coaster challenges riders to “face their fears” as they flip head-over-heels from four to eight times along the weightless, tumbling journey. Along the way on this 4th dimension free-fly coaster, thrill seekers experience exhilarating coaster hills and unexpected drops along with an interactive ride experience, making it a different sensation each time guests ride. The Joker: 4D Free Fly Coaster allows adrenaline seekers to soar outside the confines of the track for an all-new coaster riding experience.

“We are thrilled to launch our 13th coaster here at the Coaster Capital of New England. Not only does The Joker: 4D Free Fly Coaster utilize the latest innovative technology, it is highly interactive and will deliver something new for every rider. This is a great complement to our existing ride offerings and should be quite a hit with thrill-seekers. The unpredictable tumbling will add a new element as riders travel along the plunging and swirling track,” said Park President John Winkler.

The Joker: 4D Free Fly Coaster features a massive and twisting track frame, in which ride vehicles begin their journey by traveling up a 120-foot elevator-type lift before being released for their highly unusual sensory journey – including two beyond-vertical free falls, in addition to four to eight head-over-heels flips.

The Joker: 4D Free Fly Coaster is one of the most exciting thrill rides in the park’s history.

The unique construction of The Joker: 4D Free Fly Coaster features:

• One-of-a-kind onboard magnetic technology featuring four to eight smooth head-over-heels free-fly flips providing guests the feeling of weightlessness as they soar outside the confines of a traditional track;

• A 4D wing coaster that seats up to eight and has riders “face their fears” by allowing them to physically face each other as they tumble head-over-heels;

• A 120-foot tall hill that is ascended by an elevator-style lift straight up;

• Two beyond 90-degree raven drops giving the sensation of free-falling; and

• Five vehicles with eight passengers each.

Six Flags New England is also announcing the start of 2017 Season Pass sales with its special Flash Sale through Labor Day weekend featuring the best deal of the year – savings up to 70% off on 2017 Passes! September 1 through 5, guests will receive a free upgrade to a Gold Season Pass with every Pass purchased. Gold Season Passes include admission to Six Flags New England, and any other Six Flags theme park, as well as free parking and special admission offers for friends. 2017 Season Passes provide unlimited visits any operating day for the rest of 2016 (including park admission to Fright Fest®) and all of 2017. Passholders may also purchase a Premium Season Dining Pass, which includes a lunch, dinner, and snack during every park visit, plus they will receive a 2017 All Season Sport Bottle for unlimited drink refills. Premium Season Dining Passes may be used at any Six Flags theme park.

For More Information Visit: https://www.sixflags.com/newengland/newfor2017

855513520_TheJoker-OnRide1.thumb.jpg.99864b2679d16104f59eed02aa8239f5.jpg

1078730803_TheJoker-OnRide2.thumb.jpg.41ee73e649266e96b0314a2433fa701c.jpg

524398654_TheJoker-OnRide3.thumb.jpg.42ecdefab6cd2dcb4625828531bfea6c.jpg

561806063_TheJoker-OnRide4.thumb.jpg.ec82acb7d88f15c97428bcbadd17fcf7.jpg

934583945_TheJoker-TopTrackWide.thumb.jpg.4d384e0b1e21cb92c592de120744262c.jpg

730552180_TheJoker-WideShot.thumb.jpg.061e32e0fc9a2a83e242ed48b891f899.jpg

1760656551_TheJokerGroundShot.thumb.jpg.72accf595844048e2d6a23858bfb194a.jpg

1598277849_TheJokerLiftHill.thumb.jpg.bb89288197033e84ab0e52e14b4fbfd2.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

I'm sure a lot of people are going to hate on most of the Six Flags announcements (myself included here and there) but for the parks getting the Joker clones they are all great additions and a smart move. Just would like to see my creativity but hey this is a great addition!

I do like these 4D Free Fly coasters but SF definitely is getting clone happy. Sad there was no RMC additions next year from the chain but at least no more super loops. But overall, I like the SF additions even though a lot of them are the same.

Getting?? They've been clone-happy for years - these are just the newest ones.

^I wou;ldn't be surprised if they just ended up removing it. 2018 could be a great year to replace it with an Endeavor.

I'd love for this to happen. That ride sucks and it's sucked ever since they moved it outdoors. I actually enjoyed it when it was an indoor ride.

We are also doing a Six Flags Themed TPR Bag-O-Crap Twitter give-away! See our Twitter feed for details on how to be entered to win this cool Six Flags stuff including a couple of those giant park "wall maps!" Continue to RT our tweets from later today to be entered for a better chance to win! Winner will be picked later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Click:

[twitter]

[/twitter]

CrSdak1VYAAlB1X.jpg

CrSda3yUAAAVJeQ.jpg

CrSdak3VMAAK2HI.jpg

So the possibility that WC is allowing preferred seating and the $50 2017 season passes finally got me back to SFNE yesterday after taking this year off from the park.

> Crowds were VERY light

> We really were allowed to wait for any row on WC all day long with no pressure to fill in empty rows.

> Waits for front row were minimal because you had to kind of work your way through the crowd, much like the situation with the back rows of Toro.

> WC was running AWESOME. Very smooth, very fast, incredible airtime. By far the best rides I've ever had on it.

> Saw three different crews running the ride. Two were doing a great job, and the third was one of the worst crews I've ever seen. Each of the three dispatches before our ride were over 7 minutes, for no good reason.

> At Superman we weren't allowed to wait for preferred seating even before they started running VR. They forced you to fill empty rows. They had the fog cranked way up in the tunnel which was cool. We stayed away once VR started.

> Goliath is giant turd and appears to be losing popularity, it was running with no line whatsoever all day. Our ride in row 4 was one of my worst ever.

> The Six Flagiest thing ever: Meal plan snack gets you an ice cream cone, but they hit you up for $0.59 if you want sprinkles.

According to SFNE Online Superman without VR is allowing choice of seats but certain groupers are still feeling a little to empowered. Management has said they are fixing the issue. VR is also only 3-6 pm now and in her latest live chat Jen said to get your rides in now if you want to try it so it's going away.

I'm guessing it's all SF parks but at least SFNE is offering a slight discount during the flash sale for renewing 2016 pass holders. Noticed this when renewing yesterday. The link is on the renewal page and it comes with a few added benefits.

image.thumb.jpeg.76ae23f9bdbd300c7f0e94378590a561.jpeg

Brown Link for Added Discount

image.thumb.jpeg.76ae23f9bdbd300c7f0e94378590a561.jpeg

Brown Link for Added Discount

The form page gave me an issue but it did eventually work when I opened the form in its own window. You enter your current pass number and it gives you a code.

image.thumb.jpeg.00ca3b1d4f5a390d6f3a0c96800c55b0.jpeg

Added Benefits

^I'm glad they are fixing the issue with seat choices on Superman. In July, I encountered an incredibly rude operator who made a huge deal out of it when I went directly to the front row after not being told to go to any specific row, and having visited in the past and been used to the old open-seating system. He made such a big deal out of it that someone took the place of the row he apparently wanted me to go to and I ended up getting a front row ride anyway.