TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

So, how's the wait for VR Experience?

They're probably going to be terrible. I waited almost an hour to get on Shockwave at SFOT with their VR gimmick. I'd estimate even with both trains, stand-by for Superman will probably be at least an hour. It's just a stupid, stupid concept.

We were able to attend SFNE's media day for Superman VR. After checking in we headed down to Superman. Throughout the park they were playing the Superman theme song which was a cool touch with the park not being open to the public yet.

Once we got down the final staircase to the lower level where the STRVRC festivities were they had a couple charismatic "Reporters" and a "Photographer" from "The Daily Planet" taking pictures and interviewing everyone about Lex Luthor and Superman. Fun and interactive but not over-the-top which was good. They also had some street performers and around the corner a DJ next to the main presentation area. The park provided refreshments before the presentation and then a full brunch buffet after it at the Johnny Rockets that's right next to Superman.

As part of the presentation they invited several local "heroes" firemen to the front and thanked them for their service. They were then the first ones sent to ride Superman VR. After their first ride we were all invited to get some food or to jump in line to try it too.

We headed to try out the VR. I was definitely a little skeptical about this addition before trying it but I have to say it is awesome!!!! The immersive 360 degree experience fits in perfectly with Superman The Ride. The story line works well and we were really impressed with the quality of it all. Right from the start you can see Metropolis. As soon as you dispatch the battle begins and through the entire ride it's a back and forth between Lex Luthor and Superman right into the final brake run. The battle even includes a surprise “twist”.

The headsets are comfortable (Although, learning from experience, make sure they are very tightly fitted around your head. Otherwise you could spend the ride keeping them adjusted as they slide around, taking away from the ride experience) and with the VR being right in sync with the coaster there were no issues with motion sickness. We tried the VR 3 times and mixed in 2 regular rides.

Verdict: With Superman being such a great coaster I still love it without the VR but I would definitely say you need to try it with it. It's an entirely different experience and nothing like I've ever ridden before. Six Flags and Samsung did a SUPER amazing job with pairing the ride and the technology. The process will slow down dispatch which had to be a given but it is a must try when you're at the park.

We want to give a huge thanks to Six Flags New England for all of their hospitality. They really went above and beyond for all of us. We had the chance to chat a few times with their Communications Manager, Jen McGrath, who is awesome and later in the day we ran into Park President, John Winkler, and he too was extremely friendly and excited about the VR addition and where it might take rides next. Also a big thanks to Robb and TPR for having us attend the event.

Here's some pics.

01.thumb.JPG.f606177f74d14abb35ce310c58288485.JPG

02.thumb.JPG.48a1789639cc9f495248dab5eeb47c64.JPG

03.thumb.JPG.48db28daa745b42c962ee4b78fdc5568.JPG

Definitely a coaster meant to wear red.

04.thumb.JPG.de021af794561926baa55aea7419d12a.JPG

Metropolis Reporters

05.thumb.JPG.685b4f6b96c309c4ec5395904f548004.JPG

Perfect day for this SUPER event.

06.thumb.JPG.342e1951018599bac42779b0c9f66e4e.JPG

Well attended.

07.thumb.JPG.a66209c54f22237dad4827aebd3e52fc.JPG

Presentation kicked off by Jen McGrath

08.thumb.JPG.d1ff5656408d192f81c30be64979d856.JPG

Then Park President John Winkler (A Samsung rep followed him)

09.thumb.PNG.de243b2cc3c585e2f6565f9a2be0e57f.PNG

Some of the local real hero first riders.

10.thumb.JPG.2a2836615075d5e2f2583e05a16df81c.JPG

Here we go!!

11.thumb.JPG.69bb7fd275330f7ae33c94e9afda77be.JPG

Headsets ready as soon as you enter the station.

12.thumb.JPG.30f686c2f25b08909d8bc15540565c80.JPG

13.thumb.jpg.de148a0028b19da7588c229742bff8a4.jpg

We're Ready!

14.thumb.JPG.77dc350ced518062dfcd34a649c4c370.JPG

15.thumb.JPG.767ba13bea444598d8cbcf6daa35cf91.JPG

16.thumb.JPG.092c4991735a4d9115d8fcbb237e978b.JPG

17.thumb.JPG.c9122ec3db2c728dea20acbc11bdac23.JPG

One train operation today so dispatches should increase when both trains are running.

18.thumb.JPG.2a3da934e202347f34e4935e8d3d526d.JPG

Large media day buffet inside Johnny Rockets.

19.thumb.JPG.9d0881372b088efdff943e38d7554e9a.JPG

20.thumb.JPG.abdbbcc39056126b206f5d19da35f3b8.JPG

SUPER Communications Manager Jen McGrath!

21.thumb.JPG.7f9fe2a2d0496593af5c8dfd40a94a68.JPG

This year's other new addition. Fireball!

22.thumb.JPG.e4a8d6aed79b00c57db548508e149a1d.JPG

With this Larson Loop being built into the ground it's the best looking install so far and a fun flat.

23.thumb.JPG.20103a3ce0f3f38addf0d8ebd2ff7667.JPG

Thanks for a great day Six Flags New England!

Edited by Sluggo77

Nice photos! I'm excited to try Superman with VR in a few weeks (also my first time on the coaster). I really enjoyed it on Revolution at SFMM, so having it on an awesome Intamin hyper should be even better!

The line will likely be terrible, but at least I'll be getting Flash Pass!

So as I am doing a recreation of the park in NoLimits 2, I need to add a lot of detail to make it accurate using signs. I am actually able to either recreate them digitally or use photos and warp them so they're flat, but occasionally I can't really do either of those. My idea is to contact someone who can help me get certain graphics (mainly for Gotham City Gauntlet), so who should I try to email? Jen McGrath or someone else?

I am very surprised with how good the VR is. I had my expectations set very very low but I'm glad to see they pulled it off well. The line moves at a crawl though, a line that was usually 20 minutes took an hour and 6 minutes (yes I actually timed it lol)

Nice photos! I'm excited to try Superman with VR in a few weeks (also my first time on the coaster). I really enjoyed it on Revolution at SFMM, so having it on an awesome Intamin hyper should be even better!

The line will likely be terrible, but at least I'll be getting Flash Pass!

From what everyone is saying this is an even better experience than the new revolution version. If you've never been on Superman I would highly recommend that you also get one ride in without VR. It's just an awesome coaster.

I am very surprised with how good the VR is. I had my expectations set very very low but I'm glad to see they pulled it off well. The line moves at a crawl though, a line that was usually 20 minutes took an hour and 6 minutes (yes I actually timed it lol)

Yea the lines are going to be tough but as the year goes on it will probably get a bit quicker. It's still going to make it a longer wait but if you know that going into it then it's not as bad.

I don't know what to make of the VR- It was my first time here today and went on front row without VR first then VR next. VR was cool but for me probably one off only.

I really loved Goliath and Wicked Cyclone - probably highlight of the day.

I don't know what to make of the VR- It was my first time here today and went on front row without VR first then VR next. VR was cool but for me probably one off only.

Yes, finally another Goliath worshiper!

I'm not sure what to expect for Goliath when I visit this month. Most people in this thread seem to hate it. I thought it was pretty bumpy back when it was at SFMM but overall fairly tolerable. Apparently these new trains completely ruined the ride? Is it at least somewhat reliable?

I'm not sure what to expect for Goliath when I visit this month. Most people in this thread seem to hate it. I thought it was pretty bumpy back when it was at SFMM but overall fairly tolerable. Apparently these new trains completely ruined the ride? Is it at least somewhat reliable?

It's been more reliable this year than the last two years. It still has its fair share of break downs, obviously but it's been running about 90% of the time. I just don't ride it, I absolutely hate the ride. The old trains were 1000x better.

It's been more reliable this year than the last two years. It still has its fair share of break downs, obviously but it's been running about 90% of the time. I just don't ride it, I absolutely hate the ride. The old trains were 1000x better.

when you say it was better with the old trains, how and why?

I didn't think I'd like this sort of ride but Invertigo at KI set me straight - How do you think they compare? I think Invertigo is tighter but Goliath faster? It's already been a week since my visit to KI so my memory s a bit hazy...

The old trains provided a FAR smoother ride. The new ones will either box your head or vibrate aggressively enough to cause short-term back pain. I generally have good luck with them, but I'm not in denial and can definitely see how they would beat the hell out of someone, especially smaller riders.

The new trains beat the hell out of most riders when not in the first row. It's still a good ride up there but you can't choose your seat. With the old train it was my favorite ride in the park (pre wicked Cyclone), not its the worst besides Mind Eraser.

My problem is the jack hammering. Most of the time it's ok when you're going forwards. Backwards is honestly one of the most uncomfortable roller coaster rides you'll ever have. Some rows are worse than others 4 and 7 are absolutely terrible. Back isn't to bad, and I haven't gotten the front on Goliath since around the beginning of last year (stupid assigned seating).

Looks like winds were so strong yesterday they valleyed Pandemonium with riders.

13428402_785667658236510_6264354284161962015_n.jpg?oh=a5168ccd8dcef3620f8f99afaaad6e77&oe=57C7A2BB

13442384_785667681569841_9082386206851549079_n.jpg?oh=cc9e740f17700ed2eda1f0de509b8579&oe=5801211A

Pretty impressive for an otherwise hot summer day.

Interesting to hear. Are you allowed to choose your seat when you have Flash Pass?

No but you usually get row one with a Flash Pass... plus you can always ask. Goliath ops do let you wait for the front sometimes. It depends on the crew.

I rode front row first time round, which I thought was pretty smooth - second time was the last row but it was onlybmiarginally rougher. I thought it wasn't really worth mentioning roughness compared to most woodies. Lake Compounce Wildcat was the roughest so far for me ...

I picked the rows I wanted but then I had platinum flash pass. It's super pricey but it was worth it cos i was there for the day only and not likely to come back for many years if at all.

Looks like winds were so strong yesterday they valleyed Pandemonium with riders.

13428402_785667658236510_6264354284161962015_n.jpg?oh=a5168ccd8dcef3620f8f99afaaad6e77&oe=57C7A2BB

13442384_785667681569841_9082386206851549079_n.jpg?oh=cc9e740f17700ed2eda1f0de509b8579&oe=5801211A

Pretty impressive for an otherwise hot summer day.

Interesting to hear. Are you allowed to choose your seat when you have Flash Pass?

No but you usually get row one with a Flash Pass... plus you can always ask. Goliath ops do let you wait for the front sometimes. It depends on the crew.

How long did it take them to clear that up? I was in the park that day and didn't notice it... but never mind. The high winds did make my ride on skyscraper interesting though!

By the way, I finally tried the VR expirence and it was so much better than expected! Very fun and surprisingly immersive. I would recommend giving it a try at some point.

Here is a pov of Superman VR. Wait times appear to be atrocious, the app says Superman has a 105 minute wait and Pandemonium has a 15 minute wait.

If Pandemonium only has a 15 minute wait it's a slow day at the park. I don't want to think about what the Superman would be like on even a moderately busy day. Personally I've never seen a wait over an hour for it, not even in it's opening year or during Fright Fest. 105 minutes is ridiculous, and it's a Thursday.

Yeah I won't be going back to that park this year. lol