TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

I really enjoyed the VR experience I did on Freedom Flyer at Fun Spot here in Orlando when they did the test at IAAPA. It's not something I'd want to ride every time, but it's most certainly worth doing it at least once or twice.

Since it's optional I don't see how anyone could really take issue with it as long as it doesn't slow down operations too much. Personally I don't care. If try it on a smaller coaster but if I'm 200 feet in the at and racing through tunnels and by buildings I want to experience all that. To each his own though, it's optional and it's free so good for Six Flags.

I don't really know why it's free though. I would charge for it if I were them, I think the up charge would be completely justified and I think people would be willing to pay for it.

I don't really know why it's free though. I would charge for it if I were them, I think the up charge would be completely justified and I think people would be willing to pay for it.

Samsung is probably subsidizing it. They want as many people as possible to try GearVR so they'll buy one for themselves. It's the same reason Samsung has been setting up all those mall kiosks that demo their products and give away trinkets but don't actually sell anything.

Since it's optional I don't see how anyone could really take issue with it as long as it doesn't slow down operations too much. Personally I don't care. If try it on a smaller coaster but if I'm 200 feet in the at and racing through tunnels and by buildings I want to experience all that. To each his own though, it's optional and it's free so good for Six Flags.

1) LOLOLOLOL at anyone who ever argued on behalf of the parks and the "loose article policies" input as revenue generators being about safety. They're literally having teenagers strap cell phones to people's heads on rides with serious negative Gs. You can't be more transparent about what's going on than that.

2) I bolded the above because that's the real issue. Dispatches will be glacial on these rides.

^ Exactly. This is frigging Six Flags we're talking about. They're the industry leader with horrific dispatch times. This will make any ride equipped with this crap the slowest line in the park. Hell, I'm pretty sure Revolution will now guarantee a longer load time than X2 at Magic Mountain.

I really enjoyed the VR experience I did on Freedom Flyer at Fun Spot here in Orlando when they did the test at IAAPA. It's not something I'd want to ride every time, but it's most certainly worth doing it at least once or twice.

I'd agree, but at a place where I trust in the cleaning capability of their employees.

Edited by KBrylczyk

Six Flags New England did a live chat with the fans tonight and here are some highlights...

- Superman the ride will be open on April 9th (opening day) without VR

- Fireball will be open May 14th

- They will continue to use that "Incredible" terrible Goliath Train without any modifications but they have recieved tons of feedback (ie complaints) and are "always exploring ways to improve their rides". She said this with a straight face. lol

- Obviously Holiday in the Park has not been considered. Makes sense given the weather...

- Here's a picture of the Superman headrests

lol.thumb.jpg.c44b089d7f5199ed613871bff5ae3796.jpg

- Superman will not have new restraints

- Some moron asked if Six Flags has been in contact with Mack for a new ride. Obviously they didn't answer this question.

- VR headsets have an antimicrobial fabric and will be wiped down after each ride

- headsets have a safety lanyard if you want to take them off during the ride

And I hope you're sitting down...

- As part of this park's continuing effort to suck on a very high level... for the first time ever Superman WILL NOW HAVE ASSIGNED SEATING. The ONLY COASTER in the park where you can choose your seat will now be Mind Eraser (LOL). It sounds like this will only be an option until this VR thing is over and thankfully this is for a limited time only. She never said that this policy wasn't permanent, that's just me trying to be optimistic.

Edited by coasterbill

1) LOLOLOLOL at anyone who ever argued on behalf of the parks and the "loose article policies" input as revenue generators being about safety. They're literally having teenagers strap cell phones to people's heads on rides with serious negative Gs. You can't be more transparent about what's going on than that.

I wouldn't go that far. There is a difference between a kid trying to film on a ride holding his cell phone (or even his own go pro harness for that matter that the park has no way of verifying is secure) and a properly secured headset with their equipment. Anyone who has ever worked at a theme park will tell you that every guest THINKS there stuff is safe, only to have it end up in the middle of the ride track....

Also, good for SFNE to actual group. Lines should go quicker with less empty seats...

That Lake Compounce season pass is looking really good right now

Most likely we'll visit Six Flags New England once this year before they put the VR in place in June and then just visit other parks until they stop doing it. It's for a limited time so eventually it'll probably go back to normal.

I definitely wanna try out the VR atleast once to see what it's like but other than that, I do not understand how it will work. Are these the virtual reality headsets that use Samsung phones in them? And if so, how are the phones supposed to stay charged throughout the day? haha

I definitely wanna try out the VR atleast once to see what it's like but other than that, I do not understand how it will work. Are these the virtual reality headsets that use Samsung phones in them? And if so, how are the phones supposed to stay charged throughout the day? haha

It sounds like they'll be charging and cleaning them simultaneously. Guests will be given them before they board, they won't be permanently on the train. They said they're working on the details.

Assigned seating. Really SFNE? That would make this a bigger flop than Bizarro was. VR doesn't sound like its a temporary thing, although it probably will be after all of them are broken. I still don't get whats stopping someone from pocketing the phone and tossing the strap off the ride.

But yeah my LC pass is looking very nice right now. Choice of seat on the best wooden coaster front row at night with Phobia, T&L, and Down Time.

I wouldn't go that far. There is a difference between a kid trying to film on a ride holding his cell phone (or even his own go pro harness for that matter that the park has no way of verifying is secure) and a properly secured headset with their equipment. Anyone who has ever worked at a theme park will tell you that every guest THINKS there stuff is safe, only to have it end up in the middle of the ride track....

The reality is that you're training 18 and 19 year olds to supposedly secure these things in such a manner that they don't come off someone's head on a ride forceful enough to launch a human body against its will. I'm not saying it can't work, but I think arguing that it is significantly safer that rider's own loose articles (especially those placed in secured pockets) puts way more faith in the capabilities of staff than is reasonable. After all, if the argument is that there isn't anything intrinsically wrong about the old restraints, and that body shape combined with the poor decision making crews effectively no different from the one working this year was the culprit in multiple rider deaths, what rational reason is there to believe that this will be foolproof?

It wouldn't surprise me that this new assigned seating policy has something to do with some of the space in the station being used up to accommodate an area to allow these VR sets to be cleaned and stored. If I learned something from my visit here last year it is that their coaster stations are extremely small to the point if you just allowed people the choice on where to sit, most would probably just group around the first row they come to and leave the rest of the station empty (affecting the wait time and length of the line).

As for the use of virtual reality on coasters, I am excited to see how it is and plan to try it out this year. As for if it would increase wait or dispatch times, I think that is something that we would have to wait and see it in use before we decide on if it does do this.

The reality is that you're training 18 and 19 year olds to supposedly secure these things in such a manner that they don't come off someone's head on a ride forceful enough to launch a human body against its will. I'm not saying it can't work, but I think arguing that it is significantly safer that rider's own loose articles (especially those placed in secured pockets) puts way more faith in the capabilities of staff than is reasonable. After all, if the argument is that there isn't anything intrinsically wrong about the old restraints, and that body shape combined with the poor decision making crews effectively no different from the one working this year was the culprit in multiple rider deaths, what rational reason is there to believe that this will be foolproof?

By that logic, Sky Coasters have no place in a Six Flags park because we are trusting them to hook everything in properly before they dangle us hundreds of feet into the air.

Nothing is fool proof. Lockers are a solution that reduce the amount of fools that lose stuff on rides. Not a day goes by at a theme park without a cell phone in a pocket, camera attached to a strap, etc. ending up in the ride area. The odds are most certainly more in our favor trusting the trained ride operator vs. making a free for all trusting guests on their own when it comes to loose items.

By that logic, Sky Coasters have no place in a Six Flags park because we are trusting them to hook everything in properly before they dangle us hundreds of feet into the air.

I'd respond by saying that the Sky Coaster training process is far more rigorous than any roller coaster training I've ever seen. And with good reason, given the potential for serious injury and death if done improperly. For that same reason, there's only one standing SCAD tower in the United States.

Nothing is fool proof. fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo are a solution that reduce the amount of fools that lose stuff on rides. Not a day goes by at a theme park without a cell phone in a pocket, camera attached to a strap, etc. ending up in the ride area. The odds are most certainly more in our favor trusting the trained ride operator vs. making a free for all trusting guests on their own when it comes to loose items.

The odds being debatable as to whether or not the operator will secure a loose item in superior fashion doesn't change the fact that they're still putting loose articles on riders after years of demonizing them in the name of monetizing safety.

Assigned seating. Really SFNE? That would make this a bigger flop than Bizarro was. VR doesn't sound like its a temporary thing, although it probably will be after all of them are broken. I still don't get whats stopping someone from pocketing the phone and tossing the strap off the ride.

But yeah my LC pass is looking very nice right now. Choice of seat on the best wooden coaster front row at night with Phobia, T&L, and Down Time.

How has Wildcat held up since it was retracked? I know when we rode it a few years ago it was better than it had been in years.

There's no way that they won't be keeping track of the headsets. If some moron decides to steal the phone inside, they will be caught and probably faced with criminal charges (or, at the very least, a permaban from all Six Flags parks). They're right near four very nasty cities and have a notoriously rough clientele; there's like a 0% chance that they haven't taken theft of the phones into account.