TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

RMC and Six Flags are extremely disappointed in the trains. They plan to replace all of them with the original Gerstlauer trains in the next few years, but not before they replace all of the ibox track that has faded paint because it's ugly.

Oh my, it's so easy to make up B.S. and post it as if it's fact

^LOL . To answer the previous question, I did my best to try and reverse engineer the trains using some pictures I found on the RMC website. After some close examination, it wan't to difficult to figure out how they work on a basic level. I'm not sure how he knows how and why they replaced the shocks on Goliath... that sort of thing doesn't seem like it would make for good business if it were to get out in the open. I suspect Six Flags and RMC would make some effort to keep it on the down low.

^Unless you can explain where you're getting your information we have no reason to believe anything you're saying. No, I don't really think you're making up elaborate lies, but the claim that RMC designed the worst trains in history is pretty significant and needs to come from a reliable source. You have six posts all in this and the Great America thread. Are you a Six Flags employee who registered just to bash the company you work for? That's a pretty good way to get fired just FYI.

Reading between the lines, I'd guess that the claim that they're the "worst coaster trains ever" wasn't invented by the poster, but by a maintenance person at Six Flags Great America. Working front line/crap jobs at theme parks, I heard stuff like that frequently. I remember one gentleman telling me how lousy of a designer he thought Larry Bill was while working on a consistently top ranked wood coaster. Doesn't mean Larry Bill is indeed the worst wooden coaster designer of a generation, just someone's take on having to fix up his ride. With that in mind, there's actually really interesting analysis of the trains and how they operate on the RMC rides located in this and what the operational differences are between them, even if you disagree with the poster's conclusions.

Realistically, given that RMC is a relatively new manufacturer doing a lot of generally new stuff, you have to anticipate that they will probably make lots of changes to the train/track/support structures as time goes forward and some trial and error takes place. Another wise man once pointed out to me that if you look at all the steel coasters Hopkins built, they basically all have different trains, track, and support designs indicating that they were constantly attempting to improve. Obviously with their rides being much lower cost and being constructed over a much longer period of time, those improvements were comparably glacial to what something like RMC will be doing given a slate of 3 or more new coasters each year.

Realistically, given that RMC is a relatively new manufacturer doing a lot of generally new stuff, you have to anticipate that they will probably make lots of changes to the train/track/support structures as time goes forward and some trial and error takes place. Another wise man once pointed out to me that if you look at all the steel coasters Hopkins built, they basically all have different trains, track, and support designs indicating that they were constantly attempting to improve. Obviously with their rides being much lower cost and being constructed over a much longer period of time, those improvements were comparably glacial to what something like RMC will be doing given a slate of 3 or more new coasters each year.

To add to this - even the established manufacturers do this. The B&M inverted coaster trains have been redesigned twice, Intamin looping coaster trains twice (three if you count the launched coaster trains introduced on Storm Runner), Vekoma looping coaster trains three times - the list goes on.

The difference is that because Rocky Mountain is still relatively new, lots of little revisions are being made to their train design as opposed to big redesigns - until they nail it.

In the case of New England, Superman is a coaster that's had two generations of Intamin mega coaster riding on its tracks. Though, their second design was a little bit custom with the U-bars instead of the T-Bars, but wasn't that because of state regulations?

fixed

I have yet to see anything concrete to make me optimistic about this transformation. If the train still rattles like a shopping cart and has big yellow blocks for lap bars then it won't really be any better.

We've discovered that the secret to getting a great ride on Superman Ride of Bizarro the Ride or whatever it's called this week is to ride it in the front. Everywhere else it's rattly and while it's still very good, it's not on the same level that it used to be.

I prefer the Bizarro restraints slightly over the modified T bar restraint but the Bizarro restraints are not that great. They hit your thighs instead of going further back to your stomach area. The ride was originally supposed to have smaller restraints like El Toro (as seen in pictures) but they were modified and are now thicker. It would have been better if they kept the smaller ones because it would have been more like the old ride. And obviously MF has the best restraints.

I am interested to see if they modify the restraint at all. It would be awesome if they use smaller ones instead of the bulky ones. I am almost positive they will replace the restraints though because they were in very poor condition this year.

No linked source but this was posted back when the announcement was made:

Apparently the trains will remain the same. I hope they know it's going to take more than paint to fix this ride. And the music better be on the lift/brakes only. Enough of the onboard audio nonsense.

I emailed Jen, the amazing spokeswomen and she said the trains will stay the same, but will receive many upgrades and enhancements for a better ride experience.

Apparently the trains will remain the same. I hope they know it's going to take more than paint to fix this ride. And the music better be on the lift/brakes only. Enough of the onboard audio nonsense.

I emailed Jen, the amazing spokeswomen and she said the trains will stay the same, but will receive many upgrades and enhancements for a better ride experience.

I really hope that means they will take off the speakers on the trains!

That could just mean they are keeping things like the chassis and frame and replacing the seats and restraints.

This one's from the press release -

To create an even better ride experience, Superman™ The Ride will offer Super Hero music and theming throughout this epic coaster.

So, same trains.

Perhaps they'll take the speakers out of the seats and put a new system between the seats (similar to that of California Screamin') or take the designated audio row and put speakers in that because they only need to hear the audio at the beginning and end of the ride. Of corse, this is Six Flags were talking about... I'm not expecting anything more than a cardboard superman logo pasted on the front of the train and confetti popper. Even then, I'm sure Six Flags would find a better use for the confetti popper up at Six Flags Magic Mountain...

There is no way they are going to put a new system on the ride. And putting speakers in the middle of the train only? That would look terrible and wouldn't be worth it at all. They would just put speakers on the brakes/lift.

SFNE knows they messed up the Bizarro transformation and they know they can't maintain an on-ride sound system. They won't be adding another.