TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Area folks: as a Boston transplant, I'm wondering when most public schools in MA and the areas near the park get out. More specifically, I'm wondering if the week of June 15th (somewhere between that Monday and Thursday) would be a good time to visit the park or whether it's likely to be slammed by school groups nearing the end of the school year. Thanks!

I go to school up here and we end June 22nd so you should be good

Question for the locals: How is the drive to the park from Boston? Happened to stumble across dirt cheap airfare from Chicago to Boston, so thinking of a 3-4 day trip out to New England... Last week of July is the target... Just working on logistics at this point... Not sure if I want to do a single hotel in Boston, or do a hotel in Boston and one in Springfield...

Question for the locals: How is the drive to the park from Boston? Happened to stumble across dirt cheap airfare from Chicago to Boston, so thinking of a 3-4 day trip out to New England... Last week of July is the target... Just working on logistics at this point... Not sure if I want to do a single hotel in Boston, or do a hotel in Boston and one in Springfield...

The drive isn't terrible on a weekend, but on a weekday morning you'd probably get traffic both leaving Boston and driving through Springfield. In either case, if you plan to get there when the park opens I'd highly suggest getting a hotel nearby (plus you'll get a LOT more for your money than you would in the Boston area, Boston hotels are ridiculous). Don't get a hotel in Springfield -- there are a bunch of very affordable hotels in Enfield, CT that are less than 10 minutes from the park and are close to tons of stores and restaurants. We live in the Boston area, but we still usually stay in either the Model 6 or the Hampton Inn in Enfield (depending on how much we want to splurge) when we go to the park.

Good to know about the traffic... Just thinking about doing a White Sox/Red Sox game on the trip as well... That's why I was thinking about a Boston hotel... I assume that the drive between Boston and the hotels mentioned earlier would be doable late night (after the baseball game)... Is there any other touristy type stuff out by the park? As of now, the trip looks like this:

Day 1: Arrive in Boston by early afternoon... Sox/Sox game in the evening... Drive to the hotel by the park (assuming a 90-120 min drive)...

Day 2: SFNE....

Day 3: ??? Then fly out of Boston 6-7pm or later...

Good to know about the traffic... Just thinking about doing a White Sox/Red Sox game on the trip as well... That's why I was thinking about a Boston hotel... I assume that the drive between Boston and the hotels mentioned earlier would be doable late night (after the baseball game)... Is there any other touristy type stuff out by the park? As of now, the trip looks like this:

Day 1: Arrive in Boston by early afternoon... Sox/Sox game in the evening... Drive to the hotel by the park (assuming a 90-120 min drive)...

Day 2: SFNE....

Day 3: ??? Then fly out of Boston 6-7pm or later...

At that point you'd be closer to Bradley international the Hartford/Springfield area airport in Windsor locks, CT if leaving after visiting SFNE especially if staying in Enfield CT.

Depending on where you are in Boston, driving out in the morning may have some traffic, but with you should be traveling close to the speed limit once you get outside of I-95 and inside 95 there may be a few spots that slow down but it shouldn't be too bad once you get past the Allston/Brighton tolls (I-90/MassPike is a toll road from Boston to Springfield so I would suggest getting the EX-Pass when you rent a car or have plenty of cash). I'm not sure about traffic in Springfield, but since the park usually opens at 10:30, you could leave Boston at 8 and be there in plenty of time to be parked and inside the park but the time the rope drops baring any huge accidents. One note I have about any late night travel, MassDOT does a majority of their road work at night (usually beginning at 7 PM) and will have only one lane open in sections on the Mass Pike. Right now they are working on repainting bridges from Boston to I-495 and I think they are repaving sections out near Springfield.

How are crowds usually on a Saturday? My friends and I are coming next week, and while my gut says "packed", I've never really read reports about the park mentioning heavy crowds. I'm sure the addition of WC will bring more people in, but the park should still be manageable, right? We've all visited before so we aren't concerned with credits. We just need multiple laps on WC, as well as a few spins on Bizarro before we ramble on down the road for night rides on Boulder Dash.

How are crowds usually on a Saturday? My friends and I are coming next week, and while my gut says "packed", I've never really read reports about the park mentioning heavy crowds. I'm sure the addition of WC will bring more people in, but the park should still be manageable, right? We've all visited before so we aren't concerned with credits. We just need multiple laps on WC, as well as a few spins on Bizarro before we ramble on down the road for night rides on Boulder Dash.

Weekend crowds at SFNE are invariably massive, poorly-behaved, and never let up. Plan on ponying up for a Flash Pass if you want to enjoy yourself, as the lines will be enormous all day long.

^ Ugh. I feared this would be the answer I'd get. Hopefully I can use my powers of persuasion to get my friends to agree to delaying the trip until we can go on a weekday later on this summer.

Yeah, I'm hoping a Friday will be better, and I won't have to fork out for a fast pass, though I will if need be. I know there's the risk of school trips but must be better than a weekend?

Also, there were a few comments about WC not running as well, like really slowed down and lots of wheel squeaking. I know it was still pre opening and they will use that time to iron out any kinks, but was just wondering if there are any updates on how it's riding?

I visited the park on a Tuesday last year, and the crowd wasn't bad at all. Waits were due to their sub-par ops., but I had a great time. I did visit later on in the summer however, so I did not contend with school trips.

I visited the park on a Tuesday last year, and the crowd wasn't bad at all. Waits were due to their sub-par ops., but I had a great time. I did visit later on in the summer however, so I did not contend with school trips.

Good to know, I'll surely go a second time this year and will keep that in mind, but the lure of the RMC is too great, I have to go ASAP

Yeah, I'm hoping a Friday will be better, and I won't have to fork out for a fast pass, though I will if need be. I know there's the risk of school trips but must be better than a weekend?

Also, there were a few comments about WC not running as well, like really slowed down and lots of wheel squeaking. I know it was still pre opening and they will use that time to iron out any kinks, but was just wondering if there are any updates on how it's riding?

School groups are annoying and often poorly-behaved, but they do clear out en masse between 6-8PM and the park becomes way more manageable. You'll still find groups of kids there throughout the summer (largely summer outreach programs and church youth groups), but they're usually smaller individually and seldom come in all on the same day, which is what tends to happen with school groups. Fridays as a whole tend to be 50/50; they're either really chill or slammed with groups.

School groups are annoying and often poorly-behaved, but they do clear out en masse between 6-8PM and the park becomes way more manageable. You'll still find groups of kids there throughout the summer (largely summer outreach programs and church youth groups), but they're usually smaller individually and seldom come in all on the same day, which is what tends to happen with school groups. Fridays as a whole tend to be 50/50; they're either really chill or slammed with groups.

Sweet, tis the risk I must take. This week! So stoked.

^Rides were walk-ons today so tommorow will be no different.

Head over to Wicked Cyclone and New England Sky Screamer first. Pandemonium, Flashback and Goliath are all worth hitting while you are over there.

Bizarro, Scream and Thunderbolt are the highlights in the middle of the park.

Kontiki, Tomahawk, Houndini and Buzzsaw are awesome flats that are worth a spin.

Batman and Mind Eraser are tons of fun. ( Make sure you ride on the RED train for Mind Eraser, it's been running much smoother this year.)

Hurrican Harbor is very big and tons of fun as well!

This may be an odd question, but my mom and I want to get the most out of our trip. When walking down Main Street, are there any stores that go all the way through so you are closer to Wicked Colossus? Thank You!

No shortcuts, sorry.

This may be an odd question, but my mom and I want to get the most out of our trip. When walking down Main Street, are there any stores that go all the way through so you are closer to Wicked Colossus? Thank You!

It would have to be built first