TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

This is a simple case of qualitative v.s quantitative.

Qualitative: Ejector, floater, etc.

Quantitative: Negative Gravitational Force / seconds.

There is a way to mathematically calculate which ride has the most airtime, as described above. However, you could not say which ride has the best airtime because some people like long floater, some like quick ejector, others like none.

It is neither totally opinion, nor totally fact. Few things are polar in such ways.

I agree that it's part fact and part opinion, but I would say that really anything that's part opinion is better described as an opinion than a fact.

And beyond that, I don't think I agree that "most airtime" is totally qualitive. Going back a bit to my above example, would you say a hill with 2 seconds of -0.5G air where you're stapled into the train has more air than a ride with 2 seconds of -0.4G and buzz bars? Qualititatively it would, but I think almost any rider would argue that the latter ride had both better and more airtime.

And beyond that, I don't think I agree that "most airtime" is totally qualitive. Going back a bit to my above example, would you say a hill with 2 seconds of -0.5G air where you're stapled into the train has more air than a ride with 2 seconds of -0.4G and buzz bars? Qualititatively it would, but I think almost any rider would argue that the latter ride had both better and more airtime.

Your theory is flawed... you forgot to carry the 2. ALWAYS remember to carry the 2 and divide by Pi.

Seriously though does everyone see this post? This post signifies that we have hit rock bottom and if the offseason doesn't end soon we're all just completely screwed. You may have thought the low point would be the constant renderings in MS paint of how Cedar Point was going to move the perimeter road to make room for their 500 foot dive coaster, or the complaining about the shin guards on the new Knoebels coaster but nope... this right here is it. We're now debating the practicality of a mathematical theory of airtime all because of some idiotic marketing phrases by the park which we've all decided they now have to live up to.

I'm not picking on King of Ka (If I were going to do that I'd make fun of your avatar, Let's go Rangers), we're all guilty of it but if we can just last a few more weeks the offseason will be over and we'll all be okay again.

Seriously though does everyone see this post? This post signifies that we have hit rock bottom and if the offseason doesn't end soon we're all just completely screwed. You may have thought the low point would be the constant renderings in MS paint of how Cedar Point was going to move the perimeter road to make room for their 500 foot dive coaster, or the complaining about the shin guards on the new Knoebels coaster but nope... this right here is it. We're now debating the practicality of a mathematical theory of airtime all because of some idiotic marketing phrases by the park which we've all decided they now have to live up to.

Your theory is flawed... you forgot to carry the 2. ALWAYS remember to carry the 2 and divide by Pi.

I'm not picking on King of Ka (If I were going to do that I'd make fun of your avatar, Let's go Rangers), we're all guilty of it but if we can just last a few more weeks the offseason will be over and we'll all be okay again.

Preach it! You have made my day. This goes to show that coaster enthusiasts do not handle anticipation or winter well.

Preach it! You have made my day. This goes to show that coaster enthusiasts do not handle anticipation or winter well.

^ Does it really matter? Airtime isn't the only thing that makes a coaster good.

I agree, but for a lot of people it is a very important factor. It really depends on the type of coaster. On a woodie or a mega coaster, airtime is everything. On a looper, airtime is obviously not a big factor. So in some cases airtime actually is a large part of what makes a coaster good.

I'm not entirely sure how we ended up having an argument about airtime in a thread about a park that's building Wicked Cyclone. You may remember that ride from a few pages back. I'm sure we will all be blasted out of our seats and have our faith in airtime restored.

Agreed.

Here is a small WiCy update for you all, lots of exciting stuff happening at SFNE.

First of all, it is confirmed they are shooting for a Memorial Day weekend opening.

Here is a news article from CBS3 Springfield http://www.cbs3springfield.com/story/28616120/six-flags-new-england-unveils-theme-for-wicked-cyclone

Here is a little bit of the theming(and train of course)

1.jpg.354b4462f8e0901c69ad79841a2c98ad.jpg

2.jpg.4897855463230b1bfcb0fcd9b2ebe96f.jpg

Yes they still do have a lot of work to do, but it is coming along. I don't think a Memorial Day weekend opening is too far out of the question, but they will have to hurry.

Also if anyone still is wondering what the best new coaster for 2015 will be, look no further! (credit to TPM)