TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

I can agree with the fact that airtime is not monitored by any one organized group, but I'm sure that coaster enthusiasts would have something to say about that. Sure it's all a marketing strategy, but people like us know that their statement is untrue. But yes, this when idea of smoothness and airtime is all arbitrary. For one, I think it should be made a proper study.

I can agree with the fact that airtime is not monitored by any one organized group, but I'm sure that coaster enthusiasts would have something to say about that. Sure it's all a marketing strategy, but people like us know that their statement is untrue. But yes, this when idea of smoothness and airtime is all arbitrary. For one, I think it should be made a proper study.

You just said it yourself... airtime is a borderline opinion. You cannot compare (in many cases) two coasters for "amount of airtime." You get into ejector vs floater, zero-g vs negative-g, etc.

But the point is, it does not matter.

It was an advertising technique. Not one person in the entire world is going to call them out saying, "Hey! This has less airtime than Bizarro! False advertising!"

And NO, they are not going to suddenly change an element because they think they aren't delivering on their "promise." That's not how it works. Just with Twisted Colossus, which for some reason people refuse to understand, it's a rendering. If you don't know what a rendering is, look it up before you post about how the rendering is "wrong" or something. Not all that difficult; there are slight tweaks that are made before any track is manufactured.

but people like us know that their statement is untrue

Sorry, how do you know precisely how much "airtime" Wicked Cyclone has, compared to some made up number you say it was supposed to have? I don't mean to be rude at all, but you've got to understand that marketing, SF in particular, should be taken with a grain of salt. You haven't seen SF sued to continuing to call Kingda Ka the fastest coaster, so why would it be any different for WC (and this is before the coaster is even built)?

It's all a worthless gimmick that we honestly shouldn't be discussing right now.

The marketing is meant to attract the GP and that is what it will do, no matter how hard it makes us cringe, the GP are the main market here, not enthusiasts.

You just said it yourself... airtime is a borderline opinion. You cannot compare (in many cases) two coasters for "amount of airtime." You get into ejector vs floater, zero-g vs negative-g, etc.

It was an advertising technique. Not one person in the entire world is going to call them out saying, "Hey! This has less airtime than Bizarro! False advertising!"

And NO, they are not going to suddenly change an element because they think they aren't delivering on their "promise." That's not how it works. Just with Twisted Colossus, which for some reason people refuse to understand, it's a rendering. If you don't know what a rendering is, look it up before you post about how the rendering is "wrong" or something. Not all that difficult; there are slight tweaks that are made before any track is manufactured.

Sorry, how do you know precisely how much "airtime" Wicked Cyclone has, compared to some made up number you say it was supposed to have? I don't mean to be rude at all, but you've got to understand that marketing, SF in particular, should be taken with a grain of salt. You haven't seen SF sued to continuing to call Kingda Ka the fastest coaster, so why would it be any different for WC (and this is before the coaster is even built)?

I know what you are saying is true, but I am a wishful thinker. I know that the extra airtime hill was not put in for any good reason in the back of my head but part of me also wants to think that maybe it was done for a better cause.

Yes, I know that six flags will use gimmicks and tricks within their advertising and personally, I find it kind of slimy. I wish large corporations didn't do this, but they do.

Anyway, does anyone have a second prediction of the opening of wicked cyclone? With the new progress made, it looks like it may open sooner than expected.

Yes, but wishful thinking won't get you anywhere. Not to be rude, but all this wishful thinking sounds very confusing and it can become difficult to differentiate wishful thinking from real theories.

By the way, they said track work will be complete in a few weeks, so I would think opening would take place within a month or two of that.

I know what you are saying is true, but I am a wishful thinker. I know that the extra airtime hill was not put in for any good reason in the back of my head but part of me also wants to think that maybe it was done for a better cause.

Yes, I know that six flags will use gimmicks and tricks within their advertising and personally, I find it kind of slimy. I wish large corporations didn't do this, but they do.

Anyway, does anyone have a second prediction of the opening of wicked cyclone? With the new progress made, it looks like it may open sooner than expected.

Not to be rude, but it can be hard to differentiate wishful thinking from real theories. Give us context. Also the track work will be completed within a few short weeks and opening should take place within a month or two of that date.

I asked someone if they even knew what airtime is and they gave me a blank stare that and said "is it like the height of the coaster or whatever?" I have lost all faith in humanity.

If someone with a hobby you knew nothing about asked you to define a term only used by insiders within that hobby you probably wouldn't be able to tell them what it was either.

They are not counting it as a record, but are marketing it as the most air time in New England.

Against Boulder Dash? That's...cute.

Boulder Dash is amazing. But an airtime machine? No. Bizarro easily has more airtime than Boulder Dash anyway. Question is will WC have more than Bizarro.

They are not counting it as a record, but are marketing it as the most air time in New England.

Boulder Dash is amazing. But an airtime machine? No. Bizarro easily has more airtime than Boulder Dash anyway. Question is will WC have more than Bizarro.

Did I read that right? Boulder Dash has way more airtime than Bizarro. The back seat of Bizarro doesn't even come close to the front seat of Boulder Dash.

Did I read that right? Boulder Dash has way more airtime than Bizarro. The back seat of Bizarro doesn't even come close to the front seat of Boulder Dash.

I honestly beg to differ. Maybe I just rode Bizarro on a great day or Boulder Dash on a bad day (July, 2011 for each), but I don't think that's it. I love Boulder Dash, it was running soo fast the day I went, but at no point on any one of my 10+ rides did I feel airtime that I would even consider ejector. Whereas, Bizarro had nine of the strongest airtime moments I had even encountered (Until of course El Toro and Sky Rush...). Please reconsider what you think is airtime, as it is not what puts Boulder Dash in the top of the polls, IMO.

I honestly beg to differ. Maybe I just rode Bizarro on a great day or Boulder Dash on a bad day (July, 2011 for each), but I don't think that's it. I love Boulder Dash, it was running soo fast the day I went, but at no point on any one of my 10+ rides did I feel airtime that I would even consider ejector. Whereas, Bizarro had nine of the strongest airtime moments I had even encountered (Until of course El Toro and Sky Rush...). Please reconsider what you think is airtime, as it is not what puts Boulder Dash in the top of the polls, IMO.

Well said. you might also look at what others say about it. Boulder Dash is all about the terrain hugging maneuvers it performs where as bizarro is solely about airtime and more spacifically, ejector airtime. They both have their highs and lows, but overall bizarro wins in terms of airtime.

:lmao: Watching enthusiasts argue over a matter of opinion is always entertaining

I honestly want to know how amount or degree of airtime would be an opinion. It's not like some people feel more airtime than others. It's there or it isn't.

I wouldn't be arguing if it was an opinion.

More importantly, even if Wicked Cyclone doesn't have the insane ejector than Bizarro has, it will have more moments in total and a larger variety of elements. I'd love to ride it in the future, but I guess I will have to take Twisted Colossus for now!

^ Airtime is totally an opinion. For some people a ride like El Toro, with essentially four moments of very strong ejector, has the best airtime possible. For others, a ride like Phoenix which has many moments of floater (bordering on ejector) but less limiting restraints is better. There are a bunch of factors to consider when talking about airtime, like the intensity, duration, and restraint type. How you weight the three is 100% opinion.

Personally, I would say that Bizarro has more airtime than Boulder Dash, but I prefer the Boulder Dash airtime due to the type of restraint. But that's just my opinion.