TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Well a lot of the coasters that Six Flags built are based around one central gimmick i.e. YOLOcoaster felt as if it was built for the purpose of getting the largest vertical loop.

I don't doubt that was the exact reason. Not that magic Mountain went out and said "Premier, we want the largest loop," but Magic Mountain is always in search of a record, and if the price tag is correct ($6 million), that's a very economical record for some easy marketing towards the "YOLO" crowd Magic Mountain appeals to these days. They managed to make up some "firsts" and "records" for TC, one for the kiddie coaster (19 coasters), for the aptly named 2013 coaster, for Lex Luthor, and so on. It's no accident, what Six Flags Magic Mountain is doing.

^ To be a fair, Great Adventure does it too.

- steepest/longest wooden drop

- tallest/fastest coaster

- tallest drop ride

- first floorless

- tallest on east coast (nitro)

- first dual LIM (chiller)

- first heartline roll (ultra twister)

- first interlocking loops (lightning loops)

OK I'm reaching but you get the idea, lol.

^I think that's a good point, but Magic Mountain seems to take initiative in breaking records wherever, whenever possible, while Great Adventure (in most of the cases you listed) was being innovative. Zumanjaro, Kingda Ka, and El Toro to an extent were for the purposes of breaking records. The others, however (first floorless, tallest coaster on the east coast (not a world record), dual LIM, first heartline and interlocking loops) were less world records as they were innovations. Magic Mountain, these days, is taking old numerical records and breaking them (or making up new records with TC). Besides the point, anyways, this is the SFNE thread after all

Completely agree with all of you about Wicked Cyclone being the more well rounded coaster. I remember when both rides were announced it seemed like more people were excited about Twisted Colossus. While it's understandable considering it's a more massive project, the layout doesn't interest me apart from the fact that you get to ride both sides. Whereas WC has the potential to be my new #1 coaster, might have even better airtime than El Toro if we're lucky!

Is anybody here planning on going to the Media Day for Wicked Cyclone? I've never been to a Media Day so I have no idea what the requirements usually are for attendance and what goes on at these events. I've heard that people in ACE are often invited, but I'm not sure if that applies to every park/event. Any info would be very appreciated

I think it's perfectly normal to get more excited for the ride opening closest to you. To me WC looks like the more intense ride for sure. Yet I'm a bit more excited for TC , because I'll have more access to that one, and the racing elements sound so damn fun!

This and Cannibal are the two projects I'm most looking forward to the season. WC looks RELENTLESS, from start to finish, it just seems to be out of control. I can't wait for it to be finished, and we get to see some testing POV's

Is anybody here planning on going to the Media Day for Wicked Cyclone? I've never been to a Media Day so I have no idea what the requirements usually are for attendance and what goes on at these events. I've heard that people in ACE are often invited, but I'm not sure if that applies to every park/event. Any info would be very appreciated

Media Day invitees generally include the media and guests of the media. Radio stations and newspapers sometimes offer free tickets to contest winners. Digital media outlets are invited provided the outlet has a working relationship with the park's Public Relations Department.

Sometimes members of coaster clubs are invited as extras for the event. SFA had extras dress as zombies for the Apocalypse opening, SFGAdv had extras dress as Fat Elvis for the SkyScreamer opening.

Any idea when the coaster may open? I know the official word is "Summer 2015", but the current construction progress and the weather delays make me wonder if they are still on schedule. Any chances it might be open on Memorial Day?

Any idea when the coaster may open? I know the official word is "Summer 2015", but the current construction progress and the weather delays make me wonder if they are still on schedule. Any chances it might be open on Memorial Day?

Last I heard was they are trying their best to open it in mid-April.