TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

I can imagine nothing is getting done. My family lives up in New England (I'm currently studying in the south) and they claim that this is the worst set of snowstorms they've ever seen. Hopefully it doesn't impede progress too bad.

We've been getting slammed for almost a month straight, so it's likely that there will be more than a minor delay. It's not just the snow, either - the wind also presents a significant obstacle. I'd be surprised if it's ready before July or even August with the way that things have been going.

It looks good, but the eyes need to shoot laser beams and he needs to breathe fire.

The rumor is that the park was looking into this but dropped the idea as the initial plan was to use GPS technology to allow the ride to shoot lasers and fire at the flat rides at pre-determined times throughout the season... destroying a few every year until the park had nothing but coasters.

Sadly the park realized this was impractical and decided to go back to doing that manually every offseason.

This post did not get nearly as much attention as it deserved.

lol, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Oh and Thunderbolt is back on the website so everyone can relax now (referring to the conversation about 2 pages back). Maybe the park heard that it was a fun family attraction and hit the delete button in a panic but when they realized it was a roller coaster and not a flat they decided it was okay to keep the ride.

... or maybe they're just working on the website. I think either explanation is plausible.

So I just went back and rewatched the the Wicked Cyclone rendering POV again, and I'm still amazed at how good this ride looks. The ending (after the double down) looks so twisted and full of airtime it just blows me away. It honestly reminds me of a twisty megalite with wood supports. The one airtime hill that twists back and forth looks so insane that people would mock it for being unrealistic if it were in someone's No Limits creation. If it rides anything like it seems like it will in the renderings, then this could easily be a top 3 coaster.

I would like to believe that the design process for steel/woods at RMC is that they drink seven Monsters and a few cases of Red Bull each and have an out of body experience where they can smell colors. Then, they pass out.

The next morning they wake up, take a look at the design and buff it out from there. Whatever they are doing, it seems to be working just fine for them.

In other news, anyone have estimates on much longer Flashback is going to stay in the park?

Since I have no realistic chance to get out to CA, again, my first ever RMC experience will have to be here this year.

Which I am A OK with!

I just hope Goliath doesn't jerk us around for 2 hours again

I am really excited for this thing. Pretty sure I've said it here before but out of all the 2015 additions this is the most enthralling to me. It's the only ride this off season I find myself salivating for more updates on progress. The new aerial pics floating around are making this thing look amazing. It's also nice that its kind of close to me.

Anyone else think that pop at 1:19 is going to be WC's "Rolling Thunder hill"?

So many elements/sections where I'm like "Holy crap I cannot wait to ride that!" Not to throw down on the east/west coast war brewing between these two rides, while Twisted Colossus looks awesome in its own right, I strongly feel this is going to blow it out of the universe.

I just love the pacing. The ride never lets up until the final breaks and it has an amazing progression of elements.

Also, I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the first overbanked turn will not have extra lateral bracing, whereas the second one (after the stall) will.

while Twisted Colossus looks awesome in its own right, I strongly feel this is going to blow it out of the universe.

Well... it wasn't a joke. I tend to agree, actually. Wicked Cyclone has many more elements and potential airtime moments than Twisted Colossus. The pacing on WC *looks* extremely impressive, and from the POV, there doesn't seem to be a single dull foot of track. Twisted Colossus looks like a really fun ride, but I think Cyclone looks like a more well rounded, complete ride. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, though.

One thing I don't like about TC is the fact that it is a big piece of wasted potential. RMC could have given us something absolutely insane, possibly even the world's longest coaster, or completely new and crazy elements that would work due to the dueling aspect. I felt with each Iron Horse, RMC have stepped up their game as Iron Rattler is much better than New Texas Giant and Medusa is the best as of now. TC, however, feels like they've taken it down a notch as about half of the coaster is not being remade and it went from a triple out and back to a single and feels like a big left turn. WC just looks all out amazing as RMC did step up their game with new elements and a layout that follows the footprint of the old ride with a massive twist to it.

I do feel that TC will be a good ride, but it could have been great if they just tried to be a little more creative as if RMC went all out on it, this transformation could have been revolutionary for the amusement industry. Colossus was a legendary coaster, so it should deserve a legendary remake.

or completely new and crazy elements that would work due to the dueling aspect.

I agree. I'm really upset that there are absolutely no new crazy elements that take advantage of the dueling aspect. Such a shame.

One thing I don't like about TC is the fact that it is a big piece of wasted potential. RMC could have given us something absolutely insane, possibly even the world's longest coaster, or completely new and crazy elements that would work due to the dueling aspect. I felt with each Iron Horse, RMC have stepped up their game as Iron Rattler is much better than New Texas Giant and Medusa is the best as of now. TC, however, feels like they've taken it down a notch as about half of the coaster is not being remade and it went from a triple out and back to a single and feels like a big left turn. WC just looks all out amazing as RMC did step up their game with new elements and a layout that follows the footprint of the old ride with a massive twist to it.

I do feel that TC will be a good ride, but it could have been great if they just tried to be a little more creative as if RMC went all out on it, this transformation could have been revolutionary for the amusement industry. Colossus was a legendary coaster, so it should deserve a legendary remake.

Knowing Six Flags, they probably didn't give RMC more than $10-15 million for TC. So I'm sure RMC did the most they could with the budget they were given.

I personally think RMC did a great job with Colossus, considering how big and awkward the ride is

Knowing Six Flags, they probably didn't give RMC more than $10-15 million for TC. So I'm sure RMC did the most they could with the budget they were given.

I personally think RMC did a great job with Colossus, considering how big and awkward the ride is

Absolutely agree. Cyclone had a far more interesting and compact layout, along with more turns, than Colossus had, which allows for the re-design they did. Nothing against RMC at all; TC looks outstanding and could become a top 20 coaster if it rides as I think it will. Wicked Cyclone, on the other hand, might be on a different level, as Boldikus said.

Cyclone looks like a more well rounded

This.

Twisted Colossus looks great, but to me they seem they are going to be different experiences. Between the dueling aspect, the two lifts, the high five, the different colored tracks, etc etc it feels more gimicky, for lack of a better word. Flashy maybe? I don't mean it as a negative, it seems to me it'll fit right in with Magic Mountains vibe, and I think out of the two coasters it will likely go over great with the GP because of all of that. Given RMC's track record, I'm sure it will be a great ride and quite an experience.

Based on the rendering, and I know the actual ride experience may differ, Wicked Cyclone just seems absolutely relentless and just a good old, down and dirty, insane ride from start to finish. I think it will be the hit among enthusiasts out of the two.