TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

For all you guys on the east coast, here is something to warm you up!

Notice Skyway removal in progress. Well see what they are planning with the ride soon!

Probably wont be getting much done this week... hopefully next week is better!

I'm still hopeful that the chain tower former turnaround support is going to stay. I'm not sure why, but it hold a special place for me.

As an engineer you must get a kick out of watching those chains and the swaying supports as the train goes through the turnaround.

Okay, so my biggest question in terms of the original cyclone, Why did they hire William fricking Cobb to make them a coaster. They honestly should have gone for someone who knew how to make an exciting coaster. Of course this was one exception, I mean this was a great coaster in it's hay day, but who decided that they were going to hire the creator of the least exciting coasters in existence.

Okay, so my biggest question in terms of the original cyclone, Why did they hire William fricking Cobb to make them a coaster. They honestly should have gone for someone who knew how to make an exciting coaster. Of course this was one exception, I mean this was a great coaster in it's hay day, but who decided that they were going to hire the creator of the least exciting coasters in existence.

Your post is not logical.

You ask why they hired William Cobb and infer he couldn't make an exciting coaster. Then you say the coaster was great at one time. If the coaster was great at one time (which it was) than William Cobb is capable of building an exciting coaster.

You ask why they hired William Cobb and infer he couldn't make an exciting coaster. Then you say the coaster was great at one time. If the coaster was great at one time (which it was) than William Cobb is capable of building an exciting coaster.

I suppose in that case a reiteration is in order. The point I was trying to convey is that William Cobb, even at that point in time, didn't have the best of track records. Yes, he did in fact create some good coasters, but he also created some coasters that were less exciting. I guess from a business standpoint that seems like a poor decision. I would hire someone with a better track (pun not intended). It's all about the ratio of good coasters to bad coasters, and it seems that he had created more bad coasters than good ones...

I suppose in that case a reiteration is in order. The point I was trying to convey is that William Cobb, even at that point in time, didn't have the best of track records. Yes, he did in fact create some good coasters, but he also created some coasters that were less exciting. I guess from a business standpoint that seems like a poor decision. I would hire someone with a better track (pun not intended). It's all about the ratio of good coasters to bad coasters, and it seems that he had created more bad coasters than good ones...

I was trying to figure out what they would do after the removal of the Skyway. I haven't been around much, so I'm not up to date on the speculation, but my thought process is that they will take out the Skyway, then Flashback, clean up the area around there (taking out Scrambler and Balloon Race) so that there isn't much need for a concrete walk way through there, and build SOMETHING. Who knows what that something would be, but it's food for thought.

The removal of Skyway is just Six Flags New England being Six Flags New England. It sounds like it was due for a new cable and they didn't feel like buying one. Based on the way this park has operated for the last 10 years there's no reason to think this ride will ever be replaced with anything.

The removal of Skyway is just Six Flags New England being Six Flags New England. It sounds like it was due for a new cable and they didn't feel like buying one. Based on the way this park has operated for the last 10 years there's no reason to think this ride will ever be replaced with anything.

What is with your hate towards the park?! Every chance you get you hate on it. It was removed not only for maitnence troubles but because they also have plans for the northern station as something for WiCy. You literally hate on everything about this park. Yes, old manegment removed a lot and didn't replace them. New manegment has removed 2 maitnence heavy rides with A lot of downtime and declining ridership. Can you focus on the positive of this park for once? WE ARE GETTING AN RMC!

I've already explained my "hate" for this park, as have many others. I am excited for Wicked Cyclone, I just wish there was anything good about this park besides their 4 star coasters (Wicked Cyclone, Bizarro, Thunderbolt and Batman... I would have said 5 but Goliath is awful now) and their 2 good flats (Buzzsaw and Tomohawk... I'm not including NESS because operations are so amazingly horrible that we never ride it). 10 Years ago SFNE was beautiful and it had a ton of personality and charm. There were nice shaded areas, a great selection of flats and even some good theming (for Six Flags). Now that's pretty much all gone.

Sure they'll probably re-use the Skyway station for a Wicked Cyclone queue but only because they're cheap... they could have easily but the queue elsewhere, they just chose not to because they love getting rid of family rides and continuing to cut costs in every possible way. Also, assuming you're including Skyway as a ride with declining ridership that would probably tend to happen when you run a grand total of 4 cars on a Skyway. lol

I am excited for WiCy, but SFNE has just made too many bad decisions. They have removed tons of flats, the whole Bizarro thing, and Goliath's "new" train. It seems like they are trying to turn things around but besides their best coasters the park really isn't what it used to be.

I heard that Skyway's station may be used for something new, not for the quene line. Should be interesting if that is true. I am sure we will find out the plans tomorrow (at eastcoaster) or on the 18th (livechat). It seems like the park is trying to fix things but nothing is going to happen if they keep removing rides every year.

I was just perusing around RCDB and saw Goliath's new train - and they already had to put a center pad thing near the riders' chests? Does that actually do anything or does it only make the ride LOOK safer?

I know Six Flags put those extra chest bits (that didn't look to do anything whatsoever) on all their old giant inverted boomerangs because THIS is how the train actually debuted, compared to after opening. Silverwood took those things off of Aftershock's restraints as seen HERE, you can see the metal where the old redundant pieces were mounted to.

Also, assuming you're including Skyway as a ride with declining ridership that would probably tend to happen when you run a grand total of 4 cars on a Skyway. lol

Please tell me this isn't true!

It's absolutely true... they routinely run 4 cars on the entire ride which means they usually have one on the cable at a time each going in opposite directions. Over the last few years they pretty much never ran more than 5.

I'm not joking. They have one ride op on each side... and a lot of times they're still too slow so the car will disengage the cable by itself without anyone catching it, then actually slowly start to roll back towards the cable before they run over and grab it. And this Skyway could only hold 2 per car... not 4 like most Von Rolls.

Again... I'm just going to leave this here.

If you get a Platinum or Gold Flash Pass you'll be fine. Last year Sky Screamer was only available on Platinum and attempting to ride this ride without a Flash Pass is pure torture (it's the slowest moving line ever). If that's still the case and you want to ride it then get Platinum, if it's not the case and they let more people ride it then that's great if you have a Flash Pass but will somehow make the stand-by line even worse (which is hard to imagine).

Operations in this park are slow, but it's manageable on most rides (Sky Screamer and Goliath though...lol). Many rides have awful policies though that add an extra touch of annoying to your day (you can't pick your seat on Thunderbolt, Batman, Goliath and probably Wicked Cyclone... you can't even pick your tower on Scream even when they're all running in different modes and despite the sign about the front seat rider line on Batman the employees don't really like that policy so they just ignore it).

Operations are bad... but I've seen worse (Great Escape). The attitude of the employees is a much bigger problem than the speed of the employees in most cases.