TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Um... the top gun stall is a zero-g stall. They just call it a top gun stall to be all fancy and what not (at least I believe so).

They're both technically zero-g stalls, but I was more referring to WC exiting the inversion from the same direction it went into it (mirrored), I love the way it looks

I really don't know why I'm not more exited for this ride. I'm sure it's going to be amazing and it's only 2 hours away but for some reason I'm paying way more attention to rides like Fury325, Rougarou and Impulse which won't be nearly as good but are located in parks I enjoy visiting a lot more.

I'll say this though, I do get a little more excited with every new picture I see. I know this ride will be amazing I just wish I could say the same for the rest of the park.

Does it really matter what it's called? It's just a stall. Personally, those silly names are a byproduct of marketing the ride. WC's stall is nearly the same as Outlaw Run's, they're more fluid. Twisted Colossus is the most similar to Goliath, only that one ride has mirrored entrance and exits. They're going to be awesome anyway, and that's all that matters to me.

Does it really matter what it's called? It's just a stall. Personally, those silly names are a byproduct of marketing the ride. WC's stall is nearly the same as Outlaw Run's, they're more fluid. Twisted Colossus is the most similar to Goliath, only that one ride has mirrored entrance and exits. They're going to be awesome anyway, and that's all that matters to me.

Yeah and the names are really confusing because they are pretty much the same thing but like you said the names are not important is riding them what is important.

I never knew the difference between a barrel roll, zero g roll, heartline roll, in-line-twist or any of those things... I usually just call them all barrel rolls.

I'll try to explain these just for the fun of it...

Barrel rolls are like zero g rolls that rotate around a cylinder. The corkscrews in Rct2 are essentially barrel rolls, only condensed. Iron Rattler's inversion is a barrel roll.

Zero g rolls are seen on almost every invert. Not sure if they're true to their name...

Heartline rolls are best exemplified on those Intamin multi-inversion coasters in Europe. The track rotates around the rider's heart.

In line twists are inversions in which the track rotates without elevation change. Gatekeeper's and Banshee's last inversion are examples.

The ones on TC and WC are made up on the spot. That's not a thing.

^I would consider IR's inversion a zero g roll. According to wikipedia (and this is referring to airplanes) a barrel roll is:

A barrel roll is an aerial maneuver in which an airplane makes a complete rotation on both its longitudinal axis and its lateral axis, causing it to follow a helical path, approximately maintaining its original direction. It is sometimes described as a "combination of a loop and a roll."[1] The g-force is kept positive (but not constant) on the object throughout the maneuver, commonly between 2–3 g, and no less than 0.5 g.

On roller coasters, this sounds more like a corkscrew (always positive Gs) than what we usually call barrel rolls (which have negatives).

As to the others, what I would say is:

Heartline rolls are (like you said), inversions where the centre of the rotation is around the rider's heart.

Zero G Rolls are basically a combination of a parabolic zero g hill with a heartline roll so that you experience weightlessness while twisting.

An inline twist/roll is an inversion where the centre of the rotation is the track itself which means that, if taken at the same speed, it will result in higher negatives than a heartline one (which is -1Gs).

So:

1331382661.thumb.jpg.e957d06896b23ef4623ec20a517b49d2.jpg

and Zero G

cinecitta-world.jpg.10792a91cb8a6f81bbd37bce0ee99384.jpg

Heartline

sfgadv_suf_07.jpg.5879be5395794950146b588a14eecd5e.jpg

Inline

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed in the promo video Six Flags advertises that WC will be the world's smoothest coaster. I'm sorry, but is that even a record? How can you tell? "This ride hasn't been built yet, but let me tell you, it will be the smoothest Roller Coaster in THE ENTIRE WORLD. Trust me, I've been on all of them with some science and a test tube. This this the smoothest".

Yeah Cyclone and most other old fashioned woodies aren't very popular with the general public, and since WC is being marketed as a hybrid coaster they want to make it clear that it will not be rough like the old Cyclone (which wasn't rough in my opinion, but I've heard people complain about it before). Also, people who aren't familiar with RMC will likely be very skeptical of a "wooden" coaster that has inversions and assume it will be painful.

Six Flags marketing tends to be absurd to enthusiasts who know better but it always lures in the common folk. I had to convince several of my friends that Bizarro was not a new ride but simply a re-theming haha

I agree, that marketing is very smart. It's totally arbitrary so they can claim whatever they want and it let's people know that the new ride will be nothing like the old Cyclone.

SFNE will have the world's smoothest coaster and the worlds roughest right next to each other! (Cyclone and Goliath)

Excellent point. While I can think of a few rougher rides Goliath is pretty brutal with that new train (I've heard some seats are better than others but there's a grouper so it's the luck of the draw). Any coaster that manages to repeatedly slam your head on the restraints on a perfectly straight and flat piece of track (through the station) is truly a marvel of terrible engineering.

Too bad, in 2013 it was the best ride in the park.