TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

EDIT: You know what else would be a futuristic transportation ride? A Monorail with a futuristic looking train!

Oh wait, Six Flags removed that when they bought the park...

That wasn't even a transportation ride. It only had one station.

Edit: Also it was removed until the end of the 1996 season. Six Flags wasn't in the picture until 1998. So it wasn't Six Flags that removed it, but rather Premier who ran the park during that time.

Edited by screaminkid2005

EDIT: You know what else would be a futuristic transportation ride? A Monorail with a futuristic looking train!

Edit: Also it was removed until the end of the 1996 season. Six Flags wasn't in the picture until 1998. So it wasn't Six Flags that removed it, but rather Premier who ran the park during that time.

Actually it was bought by the company 1996 and then was six flags branded in 2000.

Actually it was bought by the company 1996 and then was six flags branded in 2000.

Seriously, what happened to rumors surrounding Bizarro!?!?!?

You guys are hung up on a measly sky ride when they announced that new technology would be implemented into Bizarro and changed back to SROS.

First of all, no... that wasn't announced. We're just speculating. Nothing concrete was announced. I do believe that they'll eventually paint it red, remove the speakers and re-name it because it's marketable and they can sell more merchandise that way. Just painting the ride isn't marketable and it costs the park money so this is a clever way to make a profit but I doubt the ride experience will change much. I won't fault them for that but I'm not all that interested. I'm not reading too far into the line about "new technology" because that could mean anything. Maybe it will be cool but until something is announced I'm not getting excited about it.

And second of all... Yes. I am hung up on the "measly" sky ride. I'm hung up on the sky ride because it's just another ride in the endless list of rides that this park has removed and not replaced with anything because this park has no concept of the fact that a park needs more than just roller coasters to be enjoyable. This park was better 10 years ago in 2005 than it was in 2014 and for that to ever be the case at any park is truly amazing. I can't think of any other park anywhere where you could honestly say that but in this case it's the truth.

Here's a list of non coaster rides closed since 2005...

Log Flume (good ride replaced by an ugly, awful piece of crap)

Colossus (iconic ride that was not replaced at all, a ride was relocated here that already existed in the park and an up-charge carnival ride was added)

Chaos (not replaced)

Spider (not replaced)

Rodeo (not replaced, highly visible eyesore pad and queue is still there 8 years later)

Bumper Buggies (not replaced)

Double Trouble (not replaced)

Time Warp (not replaced, pad is still there 6 years later)

Nightwing (replaced with a ride that we already had only now it's outside so it's far less interesting)

Shipwreck Falls (actually replaced but with the current State of Goliath and it's new train I'd almost rather have Shipwreck Falls back)

Catapult (not replaced)

Taz's Daredevil Dive (actually replaced)

Twister (not replaced, and despite the rumors I'll believe it when I see it)

New England Skyway (we all know this will never be replaced)

In that time the following adult non coaster rides have been added

Splashwater Falls (replaced the log flume... the log flume was a much better ride)

Slingshot (an up-charge Carnival ride)

New England Skyscreamer

Yup... that's it. So yes, I'm annoyed about the Sky Ride. I'm really annoyed, because this park just continues to do this stuff year after year.

Actually, Riverside was purchased in 1996 by Premiere. In 1998, Premiere acquired the Six Flags Parks and it was (Flagged) branded in 2000. So Six Flags had nothing to do with the Monorail leaving.

Honestly who really cares? It wasn't that great of a ride. All it did was take you on a trip down into rockville, did a U-Turn, went straight though a backstage area, and did another U-Turn around by the entrance to Crack Axle Canyon.

You guys are hung up on a measly sky ride when they announced that new technology would be implemented into Bizarro and changed back to SROS.

First of all, no... that wasn't announced. We're just speculating. Nothing concrete was announced. I do believe that they'll eventually paint it red, remove the speakers and re-name it because it's marketable and they can sell more merchandise that way. Just painting the ride isn't marketable and it costs the park money so this is a clever way to make a profit but I doubt the ride experience will change much. I won't fault them for that but I'm not all that interested. I'm not reading too far into the line about "new technology" because that could mean anything. Maybe it will be cool but until something is announced I'm not getting excited about it.

And second of all... Yes. I am hung up on the "measly" sky ride. I'm hung up on the sky ride because it's just another ride in the endless list of rides that this park has removed and not replaced with anything because this park has no concept of the fact that a park needs more than just roller coasters to be enjoyable. This park was better 10 years ago in 2005 than it was in 2014 and for that to ever be the case at any park is truly amazing. I can't think of any other park anywhere where you could honestly say that but in this case it's the truth.

Colossus (iconic ride that was not replaced at all, a ride was relocated here that already existed in the park and an up-charge carnival ride was added)

Chaos (not replaced)

Spider (not replaced)

Rodeo (not replaced, highly visible eyesore pad and queue is still there 8 years later)

Nightwing (replaced with a ride that we already had only now it's outside so it's far less interesting)

Shipwreck Falls (actually replaced but with the current State of Goliath and it's new train I'd almost rather have Shipwreck Falls back)

Catapult (not replaced)

Splashwater Falls (replaced the log flume... the log flume was a much better ride)

New England Skyscreamer

Yup... that's it. So yes, I'm annoyed about the Sky Ride. I'm really annoyed, because this park just continues to do this stuff year after year.

You know what, you are right. This may seem like a small thing to me, but it's part of a much larger and way more serious problem that needs to be fixed. Also, your right about Bizarro. Six Flags is really thrifty when it comes to replacing rides. By the way, I'm sorry if I offended anyone in any way by that last comment of mine. That could have been taken the wrong way, and that was my fault.

Offended? If anyone is offended by anything on a theme park forum they need thicker skin.

I think it's an interesting discussion. I'm normally pretty positive on this site but Six Flags New England brings out the pessimist in me because this is truly one of the worst run parks in the country. lol

Your not alone, I've been there five times in the past six years and have enjoyed myself each time. It's not a picture perfect park where they wait on you hand and foot and everything runs perfectly all day long, but it's still a nice park, with a nice river and friendly people from what I've experienced...

I just choose not to participate in the complain bregade... No park is perfect, I can't think of one that is... Every park has something it could do better...

I don't understand what you guys mean. I have a season pass every year and always have a great time. Yes some of the employees are bad and food lines can be slow, but always have a great time. Only time I have expirienced a bad employee was the lack of urgency on the bumper cars and one op that staples the hell out of you on bizarro. And about all of the removed rides, that was Shapiro and the old park presidents fault. Ever since new management has been here, rides have been coming in. Even if some are used coasters. But if you have ever tuned into one of the live chats with Jen Mcrath, they say that they are looking into flat rides. I am just wondering why people really don't like this park

So I guess I'm the only one on here that visited the park and actually had an incredible time? And since I work at an amusement park, it's easier to nitpick and judge how another park is ran, but I LOVED SFNE.

No, your not the only one. I love the parks New England charm and all the rides that are housed there. My first time visiting the park, I actually had a really good in terms of the staff. They were helpful, friendly, and humorous. I guess the other days I have gone were just bad days.

Chaos (not replaced)

Spider (not replaced)

Catapult (not replaced)

New England Skyscreamer

Similar to Great Adventure's story for 15 years.

John Winkler has said that he wants to take bizarro and bring the big s back to it. Now in the past week he said new technology is behing worked on for bizarros next stage. It's pretty much official.

Awesome???? What is the Big S?

Chaos (not replaced)

Spider (not replaced)

Catapult (not replaced)

New England Skyscreamer

Basically the story of every single Six Flags park.

But if you have ever tuned into one of the live chats with Jen Mcrath, they say that they are looking into flat rides. I am just wondering why people really don't like this park

I thought I did a good job of explaining why I don't like this park. It's a shame though because I used to like it and really want to like it again but it's just so badly run. They cut corners everywhere where they shouldn't cut corners but then decide to blow a ton of money on stupid things that totally backfire or things they just completely don't need.

1) A new train to make the best coaster in the park one of the worst coasters in the park that also leads to it being closed for half a season and opening weekend of the following season. The new train wasn't marketable anyway so even if it wasn't a disaster they wouldn't get a return on investment on it AND it has the same amount of seats as the old one so I don't see how this is "increasing capacity".

2) A new train and name for the best coaster in the world that took away from the ride experience (the train, not the name). They also spent a lot of money on effects for it that worked for approximately 2 months.

3) A huge building for a wild mouse coaster they didn't even get permits for that they had to tear down.

Also, they can say that they're looking into flats all day long but call me when they actually add some. New England Sky Screamer was a good start but it's the only flat ride they've added in 10 years so I'd really like to see a few more before I get excited.

I agree that it's similar but it's really way worse. Great Adventure removed a lot of rides from that 1999 "War on Lines" when they added a ton of them but that never bothered me because they were all closed all the time anyway so I thought of them more as lawn ornaments than rides. Plus while they did remove a lot of rides in the last few years they've added a lot back in. They added 4 flat rides with Adventure Alley, they also added a drop tower and the the safari and another flat ride (um... I mean coaster but we all know it's a flat ride) next year. Six Flags New England on the other hand hasn't made any steps to add any flats back into the park.

^ goliaths capacity has increased. Not by # of seats but because the seats are now 4 across, people load quicker. When it was staggered seating, people got confused and it took longer. Bizarro isn't their fault, that was Shapiro who is no longer part of six flags. Same with tdk coaster, that's old management. People shouldn't judge this park based on deductions Shapiro made. Since shapiro left, the parks gotten a lot better. And they have been fixing bizarros audio. This past season it worked perfect from opening day to around June 20th and then all through fright fest it worked. Also the fog and tunnel strobes and red lights worked pretty well. At least they're doing the best they could, but when the bizarro change happened, cheap equipment was used.