TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

So I guess the point of the 200 degree stall is that you actually rotate past being upside down, to being slightly tilted in the other direction, before whipping back around. I'm guessing that'll be the one big stand-out element on this ride. It looks like it's placed for maximum visibility from the midway, I wonder if there's going to be any surprises this time around with the support structure for that element like there was for the stall on Goliath.

Yeah I think you described that element perfectly. I wouldn't expect any surprise structure changes to that element as they're reusing the structure and footers already in place. The thing about Goliath was that the stall and the lift hill lined up perfectly and they were building it from the ground up. To me, and this is a subjective opinion, the double down followed by that airtime hill is going to be the signature moment of the ride. I'm sure the 200 degree stall is going to be great though. I'm interested to see how these reversed banked/outward banked airtime hill are going to feel. Combining laterals and airtime sounds like a great combination, but I've read where some people think they're uncomfortable.

Does anyone think that the rather steep angle of the drop will counteract the actual height and make it more intense.

Probably, but wasn't what Cyclone did originally before it was reprofiled? I'm not an expert on the ride but everything I have read about it says that the steep drop it had was to counter the height.

I'm waiting for RMC to start doing custom coasters instead of renovations. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE their renovation coasters, but I'd love to see how they tackle an RMC Original. Perhaps they'll add a vertical loop in a coaster one day? I'm sure they can do it & I'd love for them to do it.

^ Umm, Outlaw Run, Goliath and Wildfire are custom creations from RMC. In fact I would say all the coasters from RMC are custom considering there layout is completely different after. So what exactly are you taking about?

I'm waiting for RMC to start doing custom coasters instead of renovations. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE their renovation coasters, but I'd love to see how they tackle an RMC Original. Perhaps they'll add a vertical loop in a coaster one day? I'm sure they can do it & I'd love for them to do it.

Didn't I read somewhere though Cyclone was tearing itself apart really since its opening? I would be more surprised if it wasn't getting RMC'd, because although its previous iteration was a great ride, seeing it reprofiled and then retracked doesn't look good from an operating standpoint.

Needless to say I am stoked about WC. The name is great too; I'm glad they didn't go with something tornado related.

As for loops, I'd love to see one on a wooden coaster again because visually they look stunning (on all coasters), but if the ride experience isn't worth it, then not putting them on is a wise decision.

^Agreed. Zero-G rolls and barrel rolls are better. I could understand them wanting to keep it safe by staying away from the vertical loop.

I really don't see a problem with loops. maybe there's some sort of design issue I'm overlooking, but I too think a loop on an RMC would be fantastic if it could be done. They've done a dive loop, so ireally don't see why they couldn't do a full vertical one.

^Agreed. Zero-G rolls and barrel rolls are better. I could understand them wanting to keep it safe by staying away from the vertical loop.

I really don't see a problem with loops. maybe there's some sort of design issue I'm overlooking, but I too think a loop on an RMC would be fantastic if it could be done. They've done a dive loop, so ireally don't see why they couldn't do a full vertical one.

I'm not an engineer or a coaster designer of course, but vertical loops create much higher positive g forces than barrel rolls and zero g rolls (by name). Goliaths dive loop is lower g because if the way it transitions to be inverted. Look, a vertical loop may be cool, but all I'm saying is that Alan Schikle has directly stated that any high g maneuvers will not be seen on any of RMC coasters.

I still can't get over how ugly an all wood loop would look.

..IMO, yes and no on that, looking at how awesome Goliaths' dive loop is, a complete wood loop Id imagine would look pretty sexy. IF they were to design to were it was like entering a hill, than stalling out at the top, like the zero g stalls, than I could see them doing that. Since the G's on the way down couldnt be any greater than the dive loop. Also, I would love to see RMC completely roll out/finish their zero g stalls, like a real zero g roll, not the zero g barrel roll..

And as stated a page before I believe, a complete ground up hybrid would be pretty awesome to see, and to see RMC push their hybrids a LOT further than just "copying" elements from the topper track coasters, which Im not complaing about. I just feel that RMC could be capable of doing more intense elements with the I-box vs the topper track. ONE DAY IT WILL HAPPEN!!

I still can't get over how ugly an all wood loop would look.

An all-wood loop would probably be ugly. But they could support a loop with a steel lattice like they did with Goliath's lift hill and stall. And loops aren't necessarily high-g maneuvers. If they can do a low-g dive loop, then they could probably do a low-g loop.

I'm not an engineer or a coaster designer of course, but vertical loops create much higher positive g forces than barrel rolls and zero g rolls (by name). Goliaths dive loop is lower g because if the way it transitions to be inverted. Look, a vertical loop may be cool, but all I'm saying is that Alan Schikle has directly stated that any high g maneuvers will not be seen on any of RMC coasters.

Yes. I believe it was at IAPPA a few years ago when he said that he didn't want to make the elements so intense that anyone would question riding, but make the elements look scary (barrel rolls with wood structure, etc.), and I honestly think that's the right direction. I mean, how fun would a vertical loop be? I would prefer a stall or crazy Zero - G like they are doing now than one of the first upside-down maneuvers created --the vertical loop. I wouldn't be opposed to it if they ended up doing one though.