TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

"Steel Storm Is Coming" leaves behind DKWEIU "We Kid U" ?

Just a couple weeks ago I was saying I believe the name would be storm related but no longer Cyclone, which I feel, feels too retro for such a transition. With "New Cyclone" or "Iron Cyclone" being a little reminiscent of last year's RMC projects, I was hoping for a "Storm" name vs. Cyclone, considering we get Hurricanes and severe storms here in New England, Cyclones are the mirrored version of Hurricanes in the opposite hemisphere but don't quote my meteorology...

A cyclone is a humid, low pressure system. It can be anything from a tornado to a section of rainstorms. They usually rotate counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere.

An anticyclone is the opposite. It's a dry, high pressure system that rotates in the opposite direction of a cyclone.

I thought about heading to the park today but I got a late start and when I checked the forum here and saw the comments about how crowded it was at opening, I decided not to drive from Boston. I did check the season pass site and today was a "bring a friend free" day for season pass holders so I'm sure that may have had something to do with the crowds.

^Six flags has kept the original name in the title of all 5 of their RMC hybrids. It's really not that surprising and they've used five different words in the names (new, iron, steel, wicked and twisted). If any more are converted I'd assume that trend would continue.

IMHO wicked is better than new and steel.

Whatever the name I'm willing to bet it will be a wicked pissah ride , guy.

The west coast purged my accent but I still get a kick out of hearing others use it. Robb and Elissa hooked me up with fast passed at sfmm, I think he's the only one here to hear it from me as I was new to Cali!

I just thing wicked cyclone is a little too close to a certain cedar fair impulse coaster.

Wicked cyclone? Eh, not a fan. They should've gone with steel storm. But I guess they wanted to keep the 'Cyclone' part in the new ride.

I still don't get why everybody loves the name "Steel Storm". In my opinion it is a really lame and boring name.

Wicked Cyclone sounds like a great name. But it's not like it really matters. The ride could be named "Poop-Scented Cyclone" and I wouldn't care. It's an RMC, it's gonna be good.

Wicked cyclone? Eh, not a fan. They should've gone with steel storm. But I guess they wanted to keep the 'Cyclone' part in the new ride.

I still don't get why everybody loves the name "Steel Storm". In my opinion it is a really lame and boring name.

Wicked Cyclone sounds like a great name. But it's not like it really matters. The ride could be named "Poop-Scented Cyclone" and I wouldn't care. It's an RMC, it's gonna be good.

Guys, the new logo just got leaked!

Bleck!.png.c69f5dfa982a8606ca9036ef6543c849.png

I have been looking at some construction pics and I'm beginning to think that the mighty Cyclone will be neutered (I know that's a weird metaphor). I think that an overbanked turn will not be able to handle the speed due to the height change, and there is no sign that there will be an extension of the structure.

I have been looking at some construction pics and I'm beginning to think that the mighty Cyclone will be neutered (I know that's a weird metaphor). I think that an overbanked turn will not be able to handle the speed due to the height change, and there is no sign that there will be an extension of the structure.

I highly doubt they'd spend money to make Cyclone a tamer ride. Especially when they could just build a coaster from scratch for a similar price.

This is RMC we are talking about not B&M, all RMC coaster so far have been some of the best rated rides in the world, I don't think SF would ruin that streak (unless Alan Schilke isn't working on this project)

Well my initial thought was that the forces of the somewhat tight overbanked turn combined with the new height that the coaster is being given could possibly exert extreme g's that could result in anomalies such as black-outs and grey-outs. Any other thoughts as to how they might solve this problem? By the way, if some of you want to see what I am talking about, check out some of the pictures on SFNE online's recent update of the construction.

Well my initial thought was that the forces of the somewhat tight overbanked turn combined with the new height that the coaster is being given could possibly exert extreme g's that could result in anomalies such as black-outs and grey-outs. Any other thoughts as to how they might solve this problem? By the way, if some of you want to see what I am talking about, check out some of the pictures on SFNE online's recent update of the construction.

Who says they can't elevate the turn slightly, on a similar (shorter) level to Goliath at SFGam? I-305 does it at a MUCH higher speed, given a wider radius.