TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

All they did was add special effects (not a bad thing), audio effects (debatable, but do those even work anymore?), repainted, and got rid of the center bar in the restraints, as far as I know. How would returning it to S:ROS make it better?

^ Yeah I'd say its a shoe-in at this point. Stoked as this will likely be my first RMC since it's kiiiinda close to me and I don't see myself getting to Texas, Chicago or SDC anytime soon. I had planned on trying to get up to SFNE for the Bizarro credit, but doesn't seem like it's gonna happen in 2014 so I'm going to make this a definite destination for 2015.

IC is deffinetly not the only thing happening this year, their will be a couple of changes/differences, one of which being IC and I'm also guessing a rethemed CAC to Tornado Alley! I would love to see the new entrance for IC to go their along with a flat or two up their, based on the nice theming of SFA Mardi Gras Area it may turn out to be a nice thing!

All they did was add special effects (not a bad thing), audio effects (debatable, but do those even work anymore?), repainted, and got rid of the center bar in the restraints, as far as I know. How would returning it to S:ROS make it better?

The current trains are heavier due to the audio and don't travel the course as quickly as the old trains did. While the restraints are a bit tighter, I understand the T bars are never coming back and honestly the restraints are fine.

The current trains are heavier due to the audio and don't travel the course as quickly as the old trains did. While the restraints are a bit tighter, I understand the T bars are never coming back and honestly the restraints are fine.

Heavier trains have more intertia, right? Or does the friction and slow wheels negate that?

It's not just that the trains are heavier, they track terribly. It's like riding in a shopping cart, extremely rough (not uncomfortably rough, but a very high-frequency vibration the entire ride), and makes it feel a lot slower than it obviously should be. The whole ride feels like there's an open parachute tied to the back of the train, creating drag. When I rode it I loved the ride, but was very disappointed at how terrible the trains were (the restraints didn't bother me).

Couldn't it be that it's not that the trains are heavier, but it's all those (unused) speakers on the headrests putting so much of the weight so high up off the track? People say higher center of gravity is what makes Kingda Ka's trains so rough.

When I rode, it didn't seem rattly to me but the train definitely shuffled left and right in the helixes. It wasn't uncomfortable but I thought it was a little annoying. haha I've heard from a few people that the track on all the SROS's was manufactured strangely. Is that true? To me, it didn't really seem like the track was heartlined like on most Intamins. I definitely felt more laterals when the train banked into or out of a turn which I think was the shuffling in the helixes. I'm guessing the old trains tracked better meaning you felt less of the shuffling? Probably because the new trains are more top heavy with the speakers and such.

Here's pictures of the last turn on Goliath at Walibi Holland.

goliath.jpg.157f6a4eb4a0d9d154f9dac95533ebb6.jpg

image from rcdb

61099205_Goliathturn.thumb.png.9b180ad25c7f880e89aea0db89f5480f.png

This is from the TPR POV. You can see that while the track unbanks, the track also shifts towards the right.

And here's Bizarro's last turn.

SROS.jpeg.aacc6f8319f5291d1d2b0d69968d8900.jpeg

Image from coasterbuzz.com

2089942138_Bizarroturn.thumb.png.2650c8fc6fb726e8ad0b3ab0e5cd2648.png

This is from a Travel Channel POV. It looks like the track just unbanks as it turns without any heartlining.

Edited by El Toro_Ryan

But that doesn't change the fact that it is still a great coaster. It can't be the track because the last trains did an excellent job of riding the track. I think that what makes Bizarro good is the fact that it is different. By the way, what does CAC stand for?

CAC is Crackaxel Canyon I believe.

Bizarro is my favorite steel coaster. I didn't mean that it was the track causing the problem, I was just wondering if the track wasn't heartlined. haha I think the only way to improve Bizarro would be to use smaller lapbars like El Toro's, get rid of the speakers, and let it run as fast as it can. Otherwise it's already amazing.

haha I think the only way to improve Bizarro would be to use smaller lapbars like El Toro's, get rid of the speakers, and let it run as fast as it can. Otherwise it's already amazing.

Funny you should mention El Toro's restraints. These were the lap bars a few months before Bizarro opened.

Not the same, but certainly smaller.

I don't know if anyone has heard but S&S is building a 4th dimension free spin coaster and they don't know where. This could tie into the Cyclone theme that the teaser is giving us. It could very well be going in the place that Flashback is in right now. I know this theory is likely not going to happen but it is an interesting thought...