TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Oh and the idea for Bizarro backwards is a horrendous idea! I can't imagine dropping 221 ft backwards on a coaster that intense. Also ridership would drop, ratings would drop, and geeks would create a (excuse the language) shit storm. I think it would be better if they added trains similar to the original ride and then re themed it back to Superman Ride of Steel. It would make the media go wild and it would by far improve the ride. Maybe they could have it be about the battle between Bizarro and Superman to resolve the story line. Regarding the rumors about Flashback being replaced, I think a Superman clone would be extremely likely, except for the fact that if they were going to re theme Bizarro, they would have to name it green lantern or the flash. However, I think it would be odd to have a superhero themed ride outside DC world. So in that case maybe they should consider a name like Deja Vu. By the way, does anyone think that RMC will attempt a vertical loop any time soon? They have achieved a dive loop so the next step up would be a full vertical loop.

Happy Riding!

Oh and the idea for Bizarro backwards is a horrendous idea! I can't imagine dropping 221 ft backwards on a coaster that intense. Also ridership would drop, ratings would drop, and geeks would create a (excuse the language) poo-poo storm. I think it would be better if they added trains similar to the original ride and then re themed it back to Superman Ride of Steel. It would make the media go wild and it would by far improve the ride. Maybe they could have it be about the battle between Bizarro and Superman to resolve the story line. Regarding the rumors about Flashback being replaced, I think a Superman clone would be extremely likely, except for the fact that if they were going to re theme Bizarro, they would have to name it green lantern or the flash. However, I think it would be odd to have a superhero themed ride outside DC world. So in that case maybe they should consider a name like Deja Vu. By the way, does anyone think that RMC will attempt a vertical loop any time soon? They have achieved a dive loop so the next step up would be a full vertical loop.

Happy Riding!

At one point Alan Schilke stated any low G maneuver is fair game in terms of inversions. Vertical loops are not low G inversions. Goliath's dive loop is very elongated, decreasing the forces. I would assume a zero-g roll would be fair game, along with barrel rolls as seen on Iron Rattler and Medusa.

Huh, I guess your right. That's really interesting. So I am assuming why there is no launched wooden roller coaster. Oh, and my opinion on Iron Cyclone is mixed, however I am more leaning to the for side. It's a shame that a classic is gone but the fact that it will have new life is heart warming. It will ensure another generation of thrill seekers gets to see the legend that is Cyclone.

Oh and the idea for Bizarro backwards is a horrendous idea! I can't imagine dropping 221 ft backwards on a coaster that intense. Also ridership would drop, ratings would drop, and geeks would create a (excuse the language) poo-poo storm. I think it would be better if they added trains similar to the original ride and then re themed it back to Superman Ride of Steel. It would make the media go wild and it would by far improve the ride. Maybe they could have it be about the battle between Bizarro and Superman to resolve the story line. Regarding the rumors about Flashback being replaced, I think a Superman clone would be extremely likely, except for the fact that if they were going to re theme Bizarro, they would have to name it green lantern or the flash. However, I think it would be odd to have a superhero themed ride outside DC world. So in that case maybe they should consider a name like Deja Vu. By the way, does anyone think that RMC will attempt a vertical loop any time soon? They have achieved a dive loop so the next step up would be a full vertical loop.

Happy Riding!

They could call the Premier coaster Full Throttle. I just think that ride would be excellent, but the theme doesn't matter too much for me.

And I agree that having Bizarro go backwards, while an undeniably cool and interesting concept, would hurt ridership and may be too fast. Installing lighter trains would be at the top of my wish list.

Happy Riding!

At one point Alan Schilke stated any low G maneuver is fair game in terms of inversions. Vertical loops are not low G inversions. Goliath's dive loop is very elongated, decreasing the forces. I would assume a zero-g roll would be fair game, along with barrel rolls as seen on Iron Rattler and Medusa.

Yes, he did say that. However, if they built a dive loop for goliath, they could also do a vertical one by basically joining two halfs. The high g part is usually closer to the bottom which dive loops ad immelmanns also have. If they wanted to get rid of high Gs on the top they can make it have a little bit of weightlessness or hangtime like goliath's dive loop.

Happy Riding!

Yes, he did say that. However, if they built a dive loop for goliath, they could also do a vertical one by basically joining two halfs. The high g part is usually closer to the bottom which dive loops ad immelmanns also have. If they wanted to get rid of high Gs on the top they can make it have a little bit of weightlessness or hangtime like goliath's dive loop.

I am fairly sure RMC could execute a vertical loop, but I don't see any park wanting one on a wooden coaster after the stigma it got on Son of Beast. Not only that, but I honestly think the support system on that would be rather ugly. The dive loop looks fine to me because it transitions to be inverted at an angle, but supporting a vertical loop in a similar manner would look rather odd. Maybe it's just me.

I think it's better than tearing it down but I would have rather seen it stay and just get re-tracked.

yeah, I have mixed feelings on the RMC conversions, but really only in a hypothetical sense. Specifically, I don't want all old wooden coasters to eventually be redone or have all new ones be like RMC's Goliath -- not that all of this is happening, but the trends down the road point away from old school woodies. At the same time, being realistic, the rides the RMC is converting were not being properly maintained and probably never would be. If it's a choice between a shaking, virtually unrideable old woodie or an RMC conversion, it's a no-brainer for me. I will take RMC every time.

I agree. I think that we will continue to see six flags, who traditionally goes for low maintenance rides, convert and build RMC rides, and see companies that traditionally take care of their rides (the relativity small parks) go down the tradition wooden coaster designs.

We also need to keep in mind that the new RMC designs are a trending fad right now, just as arrow corkscrews were in the late 80s early 90s and how stand ups were in the mid 90s and flying coasters were in the early '00s. That's not saying that no one will build any of those types in the future again, but it's clear that the industry seems to go thrown phases of "new hotness"

We also need to keep in mind that the new RMC designs are a trending fad right now, just as arrow corkscrews were in the late 80s early 90s and how stand ups were in the mid 90s and flying coasters were in the early '00s. That's not saying that no one will build any of those types in the future again, but it's clear that the industry seems to go thrown phases of "new hotness"

No, I think what RMC is doing is not really comparable to "fads" like stand-ups and flying, in fact I see RMC, at its core, being more of a return to "old school" tried-and-true coaster designs than a newer fad. The success of their designs are based mostly on what has always been a successful design for a coaster: steep drops, airtime, intensity, and pacing (well, maybe not so much on the pacing aspect).* (In truth, it's probably unfair to really talk about their designs because most of their work so far has used the underlying structure of older coasters, but Goliath is not light years different.) You sit in a traditional coaster position (sitting down). Their main innovations are the types of turns and inversions on these coasters, but we are only saying this because these rides have a wooden structure -- these are basically steel coasters in many ways. There is nothing that is "fad"-like about inversions -- they have been a staple of the modern steel coaster for the past 40-ish years.

So, in my view, RMC looks and feels closer to traditional coaster designs, albeit with updated computer modeling designs for quicker turns and inversions, than something like Gatekeeper, Mantis or Raptor. Put a different way, Goliath at SFGAm is closer to the Coney Island Cyclone in my brain than it is to a more fadish ride like, say, Gatekeeper or Tatsu.

I most certainly think that they're a "fad", but with good reason. Rocky Mountain gives parks with "bad" wooden coasters the opportunity to use the majority of the existing structure to "redeem" the bad rides by making brand new, fantastic ones out of them.

I absolutely think that Rocky Mountain has the capacity to make a "traditional"-style wooden coaster without all of the crazy inversions and over banked turns that have now become synonymous with the company's coasters. But, it's the park's money that talks and in Six Flags' (or Silver Dollar City's) case, having those crazy maneuvers on their new coasters makes them that much easier to market.

I keep wondering about the park rep who mentioned (think I read it here) about how what they are announcing for 2015 "the biggest thing the park has ever seen" or something to that effect.

Double the size of the drop and make it RMC's first hyper-woodie?

Has anyone considered the fact that they might be doing two things in one year? Maybe they will be doing something to Bizarro and re tracking Cyclone.

I actually have. I have been thinking about them actually doing both in one year. That would be amazing. I feel like when Iron Cyclone opens, it will really attract a big part of the crowd to that end of the park, with the last 3 new rides in the dry park going down that side. Maybe they will try to direct the crowd back down the other side by returning SROS to best in the world by doing them both in one year. However, I don't know how likely that is at this point