TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

For 2 years now I've been saying this, (poor coasterbill I've put off like 4 times!) but I got the time and no longer need to try and coax others to go...so if anyone is willing to meet up at SFNE message me!

I think I decided I will crash into a wall if I blew another year without going to this park.

We're going on Sunday to ride Cyclone for the last time, when are you planning on going?

^ I don't understand the hate for volares. I liked the one I rode.

The Fly at Canada's Wonderland wasn't too bad, but I rather would prefer the Vekomas over Volares.

Me too...by far some of my favorite vekomas. Not too rough either.

Haven't been to the park in seven years, what would be the best restaurant to eat at in the park?

The pizza place across the street you can get your hand stamped and walk across the street to get 5x the value of what youd spend in the park, in the park the best options are probably Panda Express, JBs across from Goliath, and Mr Six Cafe in Looney Toons

Is Nicky's truly good? I have been there, but it was late at night and I was completely wasted, so I can't remember how it was. I have been told that it provides a ton of bang for your buck, however.

Being from around New Haven, CT I'm obviously a very picky pizza eater, but compared to the parks pizza its much better, it kindve tastes similar to the pizza you can get at the Costco snack bar, so it deffinetly doesn't taste bad! They also have other foods as well but mostly is just a pizza place.

For 2 years now I've been saying this, (poor coasterbill I've put off like 4 times!) but I got the time and no longer need to try and coax others to go...so if anyone is willing to meet up at SFNE message me!

I think I decided I will crash into a wall if I blew another year without going to this park.

We're going on Sunday to ride Cyclone for the last time, when are you planning on going?

I had no concrete plan, it's up to y'all but if I'm welcomed I could get up there for this Sunday.

I'm going on the 30th of July. We can meet up if you want.

The Fly at Canada's Wonderland wasn't too bad, but I rather would prefer the Vekomas over Volares.

The Fly is CW's Wild Mouse. The Volare is Time Warp.

The Fly is CW's Wild Mouse. The Volare is Time Warp.

Whoops. Wasn't thinking. Sorry. Thanks for correcting me.

Well, came back from the park at around 6:00. What can I say; I had a blast! Several things:

- I unfortunately did not get to ride Bizarro. While I was gathering my courage to ride it the coaster decided it would be an excellent time to become a modern art sculpture and sit there broken down until I left the park (that's when there I saw the chain lift operating, though it might've been like that since it was broken down; who knows, maybe it's still broken down!). Maybe next time when I'll go to the park will I go on it. Am I bummed? Yes; partially since I should've ridden it sooner but what happens happens.

- Batman was great; very comfortable throughout, and the cue times for the ride were incredibly short. I did hear the ride ops (or was it the control box?) making a siren like "boo-oop" noise before the train left the station; I'm guessing that's a cue to let the ops know the track is clear and the train is ready to depart? I've heard it with Pandemonium as well. In any case, great ride, and I would love to see the park get another B&M. Probably my favorite ride at the park.

- Cyclone was tons of fun; I sat in the back and yes it thrashed me around but wow what a ride. I'm glad I got to ride it before it will close, because when it returns it will not be the same. I will say a few things about it; one, the trains were making this horrible squealing noise when they went around several bends - not unlike actual trains going around curves, and that the queue times were longer than expected; I don't know if this was because a good number of people were trying to get their last rides in before it closes, or that the ops were slow. I do remember sitting on the brake run for a good 30 seconds, which was longer than when I sat on Batman's brake run (I know they're 2 different coasters, but both were running two trains and both rides do not have MCBRs). It was worth the wait however.

- Thunderbolt was great. Good amount of airtime towards the front of the train, not so much sadly towards the middle (I didn't get a chance to sit towards the back). I rode this one twice; the first time when I entered the park, and the 2nd time when Bizarro broke down.

- Gotham City Gauntlet was your typical wild mouse, though this is the first time I've been on a mouse that had fixed cars; the rest I've been on were Reverchon spinning models. Talk about a thrashing on that ride! Not the greatest ride at the park, but it was enjoyable.

- Flashback; okay this ride was probably my least favorite of the ones I rode. It was not because it was rough; truth be told it wasn't as rough as I was expecting, and while I did get some headbanging going backwards into the cobra roll, it was otherwise pretty smooth. I guess what I didn't like about it was going backwards through the inversions, and when I left I had to sit down because I was so dizzy (going forwards was fine, however), and not the good kind of dizzy like when I got off Batman, and now I do feel some pain in my chest area where the restraint was (it was like that before I went on Batman). I am glad that I went on it though, since I get the gist of how Vekoma Boomerangs feel. Would I ride it again if I were to go back to the park? Probably not.

- While I did go to Hurricane Harbor I didn't stay long and only rode one waterslide (the purple one at Monsoon Lagoon I think). I managed to scrape my elbow on it as well, but while that didn't deter me, the fact that I was walking around with no glasses didn't help matters, and I left the water park soon after. Which is a shame because I know there are some great rides there, but I couldn't see anything. Again, maybe next time.

- I skipped Pandemonium, Mind Eraser, and Goliath. Pandemonium because of its queue length and because I was too zonked out from leaving Flashback to go onto another ride (until I had lunch, and then I went to Batman after that), Mind Eraser because quite frankly I would like to have my mind not erased, and Goliath which looked like it took all the qualities of Flashback and put in the bad qualities of the SLC at the park. Pandemonium I would most likely ride if I return to the park, but Goliath and Mind Eraser probably not. (If only they took down Mind Eraser and put a B&M invert in its place...). Catwoman's Whip and Great Chase I also skipped, though I'll say this about the former ride. The train made an interesting whooshing sound when it went past, compared to the "freight trains on crack" sound that all the other coasters did.

- I also skipped all flat rides at the park since my main goal was to ride the coasters. For what it's worth I don't know if Tomahawk was even operating today; when I saw it while on Cyclone's lift it looked pretty dormant, and the other flats, while most likely fun, didn't appeal to me. I would ride NESS (Nessy?) if I were to return however.

- The food was decent but was really pricey, but that was to be expected at a park. I ate at the Riverboat Café since that was the first thing I saw after leaving Flashback's exit line and I was getting hungry, plus the BBQ place looked packed. Certainly not the greatest food I've eaten, but it was good.

Well, came back from the park at around 6:00. What can I say; I had a blast! Several things:

- I unfortunately did not get to ride Bizarro. While I was gathering my courage to ride it the coaster decided it would be an excellent time to become a modern art sculpture and sit there broken down until I left the park (that's when there I saw the chain lift operating, though it might've been like that since it was broken down; who knows, maybe it's still broken down!). Maybe next time when I'll go to the park will I go on it. Am I bummed? Yes; partially since I should've ridden it sooner but what happens happens.

- Batman was great; very comfortable throughout, and the cue times for the ride were incredibly short. I did hear the ride ops (or was it the control box?) making a siren like "boo-oop" noise before the train left the station; I'm guessing that's a cue to let the ops know the track is clear and the train is ready to depart? I've heard it with Pandemonium as well. In any case, great ride, and I would love to see the park get another B&M. Probably my favorite ride at the park.

- Cyclone was tons of fun; I sat in the back and yes it thrashed me around but wow what a ride. I'm glad I got to ride it before it will close, because when it returns it will not be the same. I will say a few things about it; one, the trains were making this horrible squealing noise when they went around several bends - not unlike actual trains going around curves, and that the queue times were longer than expected; I don't know if this was because a good number of people were trying to get their last rides in before it closes, or that the ops were slow. I do remember sitting on the brake run for a good 30 seconds, which was longer than when I sat on Batman's brake run (I know they're 2 different coasters, but both were running two trains and both rides do not have MCBRs). It was worth the wait however.

- Thunderbolt was great. Good amount of airtime towards the front of the train, not so much sadly towards the middle (I didn't get a chance to sit towards the back). I rode this one twice; the first time when I entered the park, and the 2nd time when Bizarro broke down.

- Gotham City Gauntlet was your typical wild mouse, though this is the first time I've been on a mouse that had fixed cars; the rest I've been on were Reverchon spinning models. Talk about a thrashing on that ride! Not the greatest ride at the park, but it was enjoyable.

- Flashback; okay this ride was probably my least favorite of the ones I rode. It was not because it was rough; truth be told it wasn't as rough as I was expecting, and while I did get some headbanging going backwards into the cobra roll, it was otherwise pretty smooth. I guess what I didn't like about it was going backwards through the inversions, and when I left I had to sit down because I was so dizzy (going forwards was fine, however), and not the good kind of dizzy like when I got off Batman, and now I do feel some pain in my chest area where the restraint was (it was like that before I went on Batman). I am glad that I went on it though, since I get the gist of how Vekoma Boomerangs feel. Would I ride it again if I were to go back to the park? Probably not.

- While I did go to Hurricane Harbor I didn't stay long and only rode one waterslide (the purple one at Monsoon Lagoon I think). I managed to scrape my elbow on it as well, but while that didn't deter me, the fact that I was walking around with no glasses didn't help matters, and I left the water park soon after. Which is a shame because I know there are some great rides there, but I couldn't see anything. Again, maybe next time.

- I skipped Pandemonium, Mind Eraser, and Goliath. Pandemonium because of its queue length and because I was too zonked out from leaving Flashback to go onto another ride (until I had lunch, and then I went to Batman after that), Mind Eraser because quite frankly I would like to have my mind not erased, and Goliath which looked like it took all the qualities of Flashback and put in the bad qualities of the SLC at the park. Pandemonium I would most likely ride if I return to the park, but Goliath and Mind Eraser probably not. (If only they took down Mind Eraser and put a B&M invert in its place...). Catwoman's Whip and Great Chase I also skipped, though I'll say this about the former ride. The train made an interesting whooshing sound when it went past, compared to the "freight trains on crack" sound that all the other coasters did.

- I also skipped all flat rides at the park since my main goal was to ride the coasters. For what it's worth I don't know if Tomahawk was even operating today; when I saw it while on Cyclone's lift it looked pretty dormant, and the other flats, while most likely fun, didn't appeal to me. I would ride NESS (Nessy?) if I were to return however.

- The food was decent but was really pricey, but that was to be expected at a park. I ate at the Riverboat Café since that was the first thing I saw after leaving Flashback's exit line and I was getting hungry, plus the BBQ place looked packed. Certainly not the greatest food I've eaten, but it was good.

The woo woop noise is like sfga's ole. They say it on some ride to get people pumped.

The woo woop noise is like sfga's ole. They say it on some ride to get people pumped.

Interesting; thought it was like how some of the parks in Japan have horns or alarms going off signalling the train departing the station (which I think is from their railroading rules but I'm not sure).

Interesting; thought it was like how some of the parks in Japan have horns or alarms going off signalling the train departing the station (which I think is from their railroading rules but I'm not sure).

No, it's just for fun.

No, it's just for fun.

Nothing says "5th Friendliest Park in the World" like going "woop".

No, it's just for fun.

Nothing says "5th Friendliest Park in the World" like going "woop".

We're quoting Golden Tickets now?

Only because the fact that they were voted one of the friendliest parks last year is so amazing. Last years SFNE staff was routinely the rudest, most disinterested staff of any park I've ever visited. Six Flags America, Jolly Roger in Ocean City and pretty much every carnival had friendlier staff and that's saying something. (I mentioned Jolly Roger because their staff is awful).

They've improved this year though... I'll give them that.

I'm visitng SFNE tomorrow with two friends, primarily as our last chance to ride Cyclone in original form (well not quite original, but...yeah).

We like to pack a nice lunch and return to the car to eat when we visit parks. Are there any shade locations and/or picnic tables in either the preferred or regular parking lots? I see the picnic grove on the park map but this appears to be within the gates, not what we're looking for.

What is the preferred parking upcharge for Gold pass holders (free regular parking) ? Couldn't find this info on their site. Finally: entrance to the preferred lot, coming from the south, is on the right about 1500' before the left turn for the main lot, yes?

Thanks!!

Only because the fact that they were voted one of the friendliest parks last year is so amazing. Last years SFNE staff was routinely the rudest, most disinterested staff of any park I've ever visited. Six Flags America, Jolly Roger in Ocean City and pretty much every carnival had friendlier staff and that's saying something. (I mentioned Jolly Roger because their staff is awful).

They've improved this year though... I'll give them that.

I was shocked to hear that they were listed as one of the friendliest parks. Honestly, the park is a mixed bag in terms of friendliest. I find most of the employees working the major coasters (outside of Batman and Pandemonium) are quite friendly. However, many of the shops and restaurants are on the other end of the spectrum.

I finally got to visit the park for my first time on Thursday and honestly, I really enjoyed it. I felt like SFNE had a much better vibe to it than GADV. It was definitely less corporatized and it seemed more family run. I didn't see nearly as many advertisements as I do at GADV and it had that quirky amusement park vibe to it instead.

We started off the day with Bizarro. I had high hopes for the ride and I left satisfied. Bizarro was great from start to finish with a lot of airtime, positive g's, and even laterals. (Is it just me or is Bizarro's track not heartlined like most Intamins?) Our first ride was in the back row and I was honestly a little disappointed. The airtime felt more like floater than ejector and the train seemed like it was shuffling left and right during the helixes (which wasn't uncomfortable but weird). The audio wasn't working either. We hopped back in line after the first ride and got on the third row following a short breakdown. The ride up front was much better in my opinion since the airtime was way stronger and the helixes were smoother too. After my ride towards the front, I decided Bizarro was better than I305 and it's now my favorite steel coaster. It's very well rounded and the ride felt very long. I'd give it a 9.75873/10. If the airtime was just a little stronger, it would have been a 10/10. I guess I'm a little spoiled by El Toro. Plus the lap bars on Bizarro were a little uncomfortable. They weren't painful but the huge block for a lap bar was weird.

Next, we headed over to Sky Screamer where we encountered one of the longest lines of the day. The line looked pretty short but since only 24 people could go at a time, the line took almost an hour. The ride itself was great though. That view at the top was pretty unforgettable. Overall, I'd say Sky Screamer was a solid addition to the park and a 7.5/10.

Moving on, we jumped in line for the neighboring Cyclone. Part of the reason my friends and I had gone to SFNE was to ride Cyclone before it closed. The line took about half an hour with two trains running. The crew were stacking trains like crazy. They often did not begin checking restraints until the other train had returned. We ended up sitting in the 5th car and OMFG, the first drop was insane. After cresting the lift, there was a sudden jolt downwards that literally launched us out of our seats. A ride in the back row would have been nuts. The turn following that was pretty intense with crazy laterals and airtime on the following drop. After that, the ride got way tamer but it was still fun. Plus I didn't find the ride that rough really either. Overall, the ride was way better than I thought it was going to be but I'm excited what changes are in store for it next year. I'd give it an 8/10.

By now, it was about 2 o'clock so we headed over to the waterpark. We hopped in line for Typhoon first but the line was almost to the entrance so figured we'd try it later and left. This would be our first mistake. We instead went to Bonzai Pipelines and waited about half an hour. I had never ridden a water slide with a trap door so waiting in line was pretty nerve racking. It was the first time in a while that I was actually nervous about a ride. (I miss that honestly haha) Anyway, the ride itself was sick. I rode one of the orange tubes and the turn at the bottom was intense. Definitely the most G's I've felt on a water slide before. Next we headed over to the other side of the park and rode the Swiss Toboggan ride. I don't remember the name exactly because I was disappointed by the ride. The seemingly short line ended up taking close to an hour and the ride itself wasn't too great. Moving on, we finally got to Typhoon and the line was even longer than it was before. We decided to wait it out since this was the slide we wanted to ride the most. The ride ended up breaking down twice while we were in line and our wait took about 45 minutes total because of that. I've never seen a waterside break down before but I guess since it's a water coaster, it's a little different. haha On the second breakdown, a raft got stuck on the second incline which was pretty interesting to watch. The ride itself was pretty fun and there were some nice pops of air here and there. It was definitely the best water ride of the day. At this point, it was about 5:30 so we figured we'd hit the dry park again to hit the rides we didn't do yet.

We went straight to Batman: The Dark Knight and the line only took about ten minutes. We rode in the 5th row (because we had no choice thanks to a grouper) but the ride was really good. It was pretty forceful and it had great pacing. Smooth too. Overall, I thought it was better than Bizarro at GADV. I'd give this ride a 8.5/10. It would have been higher if the ride was a little longer.

Next, we hit up Mind Eraser and having ridden the SLC in Wildwood, I knew what to expect. The ride was a walk on and there was only one employee checking the entire 20 seat train but they were still getting trains out pretty well. The ride was a typical SLC with some head banging but a cool layout and good pacing. I'd give it a 7/10.

Next we rode Scream. The line took about 15 minutes because they were only running two of the three towers. The grouper goofed up when it was our turn to get in a line for a gondola so two of my friends had to end up waiting for the next cycle. The ride was pretty good. It was your standard S&S drop tower but it did feel more intense than Power Tower at Cedar Point. I like how every tower was a combo tower too. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Thunderbolt was right next to Scream so we figured we'd ride something else. Jk yeah we rode Thunderbolt next. The line took about 15 minutes with one out of one trains running. For a woodie form the 1940's, I felt like the ride was in great shape. It was really smooth and the paint looked pretty fresh. We rode in the third car because of a grouper so I didn't notice a lot of airtime but I'm sure it does in the front and back. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Following Thunderbolt, we tried to get on Goliath but the ride broke down while we were in line. Due to time constraints, we figured we'd go ride Pandemonium really quick and then try to get on Goliath. Pandemonium's line wasn't long but it took about half an hour thanks to low capacity. The ride was pretty good though and some of the turning was pretty intense. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

By this point it was 8:30 and the park was to close at 9. We wanted to ride Goliath and then Bizarro one more time but Goliath's line looked to be over half an hour. We all agreed that we'd rather ride Bizarro than Goliath so we ran over to Bizarro hoping to get a few rides in. We jumped in what looked like a pretty short line but the ride was only running one train for some reason so it ended up being a 45 minute wait. There was one another break down while we were waiting but it only took about 5 minutes. We rode in the third row again and the ride was even better at night. It was definitely running faster and the lighting on the effects was awesome. I got ejector on almost every hill and the speed was incredible. After my night ride, I think the ride deserves a solid 10/10. While the audio didn't work on any of my rides, I really did not even notice that. I actually didn't notice the audio was off until my second ride but we all agreed the ride would have been worse with audio.

Overall, the day was great. While I didn't get to ride Goliath, everything else was superb. It was interesting because SFNE definitely has better staffing than GADV besides at Mind Eraser. Bizarro and Batman had 4 people checking the trains and Pandemonium had people everywhere in the station. If it were GADV, every ride would have probably had 2 attendants rather than 4. While slower than most of the employees at GADV, everyone was nice at SFNE for the most part. The best crew of the day was at Bizarro where they had almost every train ready to go while the other train was in the 2nd helix. (Does anyone know where on the course one train has to be for the crew to send the next train out? The crew was definitely faster than the minimum cycle time.)

I did notice that most of the operators used the automated spiels to speak to the guests rather than speaking on the mic but everyone seemed to listen. On the contrary, no one listens at GADV. I don't know how many times I've told guests at Toro that your seatbelt goes on first, lap bar second but people still get it wrong. Anyway, i definitely thought SFNE had many qualities over GADV. The waterpark was decent and the park offered a good selection of rides. I can't wait to go back next year for Iron Cyclone.

Moving on, we jumped in line for the neighboring Cyclone. Part of the reason my friends and I had gone to SFNE was to ride Cyclone before it closed. The line took about half an hour with two trains running. The crew were stacking trains like crazy. They often did not begin checking restraints until the other train had returned. We ended up sitting in the 5th car and OMFG, the first drop was insane. After cresting the lift, there was a sudden jolt downwards that literally launched us out of our seats. A ride in the back row would have been nuts. The turn following that was pretty intense with crazy laterals and airtime on the following drop. After that, the ride got way tamer but it was still fun. Plus I didn't find the ride that rough really either. Overall, the ride was way better than I thought it was going to be but I'm excited what changes are in store for it next year. I'd give it an 8/10.

The ride in the back was definitely nuts, I'll tell you that. The first drop was crazy and I definitely got some ejector air. Here's hoping its Iron Cyclone iteration is just as great; a park employee told me there is going to be a few inversions though this is probably old news.

What time did you ride Cyclone? I entered the line at around 12:20 and didn't get off the ride until 1-ish I would say. Also, do you remember what time Bizarro reopened?

The ride in the back was definitely nuts, I'll tell you that. The first drop was crazy and I definitely got some ejector air. Here's hoping its Iron Cyclone iteration is just as great; a park employee told me there is going to be a few inversions though this is probably old news.

What time did you ride Cyclone? I entered the line at around 12:20 and didn't get off the ride until 1-ish I would say. Also, do you remember what time Bizarro reopened?

I think we rode Cyclone around the same time. Idk when exactly Bizarro reopened but it was down pretty sporadically from around 2 to 7 and during that time, they switched to one train operation.

...the train seemed like it was shuffling left and right during the helixes normal(which wasn't uncomfortable but weird). The audio wasn't working either normal. We hopped back in line after the first ride and got on the third row following a short breakdown LOL, also normal. The ride up front was much better in my opinion since the airtime was way stronger and the helixes were smoother too get ready for a mob to come after you.... After my ride towards the front, I decided Bizarro was better than I305 and it's now my favorite steel coaster. It's very well rounded and the ride felt very long. I'd give it a 9.75873/10. If the airtime was just a little stronger, it would have been a 10/10. I guess I'm a little spoiled by El Toro. Plus the lap bars on Bizarro were a little uncomfortable normal. They weren't painful but the huge block for a lap bar was weird.

I'm excited to finally get to this place tomorrow.

Didn't even know till 2 days ago it was the Cyclone's last day...what a classic (even if it's been so tamed) so that will be nice, and FINALLY I can ride Bizarro. Lame theme attempt/change aside I assume the ride is still as awesome/hasn't been neutered. I have a bad habit of waiting too long to get these places just to have rides taken out of their prime by then

Also, my hopes for any Six Flags park is super low, in terms of staff, quality of stuff, operations, so if it's any decent at all gets a pass in my book

Although, I was at Six Flags New England last weekend on Saturday, July 12th with my wife. However, Considering that I am a season pass holder, I will be there at some point tomorrow (Sunday) for the closing of Cyclone (Solo trip) and staying till closing time. If anyone sees someone wearing a white shirt that says "Sea World" on it and wearing a hat that says "Eagles". That will be me. Please feel free to come up and say "Hi". My name is Randy. Also, I will have my camera with me for a possible trip report that I might post later in the week.

P.S. Another feature of me is that I have a ponytail.