TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Has anyone been wondering about what kindve restraints Iron Cyclone (if in fact that happens) will have due to the fact Massachusetts has banned T Bars, I'm guessing they will go with restraints similar to El Toro, what are everyone's thoughts?

The trains made by RMC have a pretty deep molding and is a lap bar with a second bar below the knees. I think that's what's going to the be the new restraints for Iron Cyclone. Hopefully, I can make the trip out next year to SFNE!

I swear I will find the man who promoted that law and take his head, find a milling machine, and see if his head can be turned into a cube.

That or making him ride an SLC to death

Hey guys;

I'm heading to the park on Thursday, and while I have lived nearby for 6 years I've actually have never been there. Since I know nothing about it (aside from reading the thread), what should I know? The coasters I will definitely ride are:

- Batman (It's a B&M; what's not to love)

- T-Bolt (It was partly designed by Harry Traver; what's not to love)

- Pandemonium (why not)

- Gotham City Gauntlet (Wild Mice are always fun)

Maybe:

- Bizzaro; I have a fear of heights, but it is a world class ride.

- Cyclone: I know it's closing on the 20th, so is it worth it to ride it now or should I wait until it's re-tracked?

- Flashback: I've never ridden a Vekoma Boomerang; they don't look so long so should I endure the pain or forgo it?

- Goliath: See above

- Mind Eraser: Does it live up to its name or is it bearable?

Also what flat rides should I look for? I'm probably going to avoid drop tours since I don't like sudden drops, but I heard NESS is really good. Buzzsaw looks to be a Fabbri Flying Carpet type ride, which aren't too bad but are run-of-the-mill (I remember going on one at Parc Asterix). I'm also planning to go to Hurricane Harbor since it's there in the park as well.

Other things;

- How is food in the park? I heard there's a good BBQ place. How's the price of it and the rest of the park?

- Can I bring in my own water or do I have to buy my water there?

- Pandemonium (why not) this gets long lines.

Maybe:

- Bizzaro; I have a fear of heights, but it is a world class ride. DEFINETLY ride this, in my opinion Goliath is worse for heights.

- Cyclone: I know it's closing on the 20th, so is it worth it to ride it now or should I wait until it's re-tracked? The layout may be completely different, ride it now.

- Flashback: I've never ridden a Vekoma Boomerang; they don't look so long so should I endure the pain or forgo it? This is a nice starter coaster.

- Goliath: See above. This is more rough then FlashBack, also the scariest ride in the park.

- Mind Eraser: Does it live up to its name or is it bearable? It's not as rough as Goliath.

Also what flat rides should I look for? I'm probably going to avoid drop tours since I don't like sudden drops, but I heard NESS is really good. Buzzsaw looks to be a Fabbri Flying Carpet type ride, which aren't too bad but are run-of-the-mill (I remember going on one at Parc Asterix). I'm also planning to go to Hurricane Harbor since it's there in the park as well.

Go on Typhoon and Tornado in the water park. Scream may run launch, and Buzzsaw has lots of air time. NESS is a good relaxing ride, not scary at all.

Other things;

- How is food in the park? I heard there's a good BBQ place. How's the price of it and the rest of the park? The food is expensive, I eat lunch in my car.

- Can I bring in my own water or do I have to buy my water there? You can bring a bottled water, but nothing else.

Hey guys;

I'm heading to the park on Thursday, and while I have lived nearby for 6 years I've actually have never been there. Since I know nothing about it (aside from reading the thread), what should I know? The coasters I will definitely ride are:

- Pandemonium (why not)

Maybe:

- Cyclone: I know it's closing on the 20th, so is it worth it to ride it now or should I wait until it's re-tracked?

- Flashback: I've never ridden a Vekoma Boomerang; they don't look so long so should I endure the pain or forgo it?

Other things;

- How is food in the park? I heard there's a good BBQ place. How's the price of it and the rest of the park?

Get on Bizarro; it's just as safe as any other coaster. I'm not sure if you can bring your own water, but nearly every park in the US offers free tap water, and you can always drink from the fountains.

Go on Flashback. I've been on about eight Boomerangs including Flashback, and I find none of them too painful to re-ride. Honestly, none of them are that bad, but it's just that many enthusiasts are incredibly elitist about what's good and what isn't.

Seriously, just go on everything. Cyclone was rated about as good as Skyliner at Lakemont last year, and when I rode Skyliner, I was astounded at how good it was (the second half was a little languid, but the first half was seriously on par with Phoenix.) I haven't gone to the park since 2007, and since Cyclone has gotten quite a bit of retracking since then, I'm not one to judge on its current state.

Hey guys;

- Pandemonium (why not)

Maybe:

Other things;

- Batman are Thunderbolt are both good rides. And 20 minute wait or less. Do them for sure.

- Pandemonium and Gotham City are okay, but I wouldn't wait too long in line for them.

- Get over your fear of heights and do Bizarro! Simply the best steel coaster that I've been on.

- Cyclone is a part of history, don't miss it.

- Flashback is okay, but again, don't wait in line too long for it

- Mind Eraser is painful like all other SLCs. I would skip it. Probably the worst ride in the park.

- Nevermind, I forgot about Goliath. If you want to wait an hour in line for a lower back adjustment, knock yourself out!

- Sky Screamer was pretty fun. Be sure to sneak a few photos while up there.

- I ate at the Fast Eddie's outlet. It's pricey at around $10, but it's an amusement park, so it should be expected. The burgers are actually pretty good, and serve curly fries. The buffalo chicken fingers were also good, but be forewarned that they drown them in hot sauce. Get a milkshake to cool the tongue off!

- Worst case scenario, just bring an empty plastic water bottle and fill up at a fountain

In my opinion all of the coasters are worth riding except Mind Eraser which is a horrendous piece of crap with no redeeming qualities at all. Goliath is iffy though...

If you want to ride Goliath I wouldn't ride it until you ride Bizarro though. Since you're afraid of heights Goliath is probably the worst coaster you could ever ride. The back spike hangs you on the restraints facing the ground for a long time and you're forced to have complete confidence in the restraint as all of your weight is pushing on it straight towards the ground. It's terrifying if you have any fear of heights.

I'm concerned that if you ride Goliath you won't even consider riding Bizarro as Bizarro is taller, but in reality Bizarro's drop isn't nearly as scary as you're facing upright, aren't hanging on the restraint and aren't forced to look down for a long period of time. I'm sure if you ride Bizarro you'll love it and be over your fear. Goliath will probably have the opposite effect. Bizarro is also an amazing ride while Goliath is a complete piece of crap now that they ruined it with the new trains. If you're going to ride something that will scare the hell out of you it should at least be a good ride.

Goliath is a bad ride now. The only good parts of the ride are the spikes because of the hanging aspect of them. It might be worth a ride but ride Bizarro first or it might turn you off to tall coasters as you already have a fear of heights.

As far as Cyclone you should absolutely ride that. It's a pretty good ride and it's very smooth thanks to the topper track it has from RMC (not as smooth as Thunderbolt but still pretty smooth). The ride is nothing amazing but you should ride it as it's a piece of New England history and you'll never have the chance to ride it again. We're actually going this weekend to get a few last rides in. Pandemonium is a lot of fun too especially if one side has a lot more weight than the other side so if it has a long line it's still worth waiting in. I'd skip the mouse or Flashback before I'd skip Pandemonium. Batman, Bizarro, Cyclone and Thunderbolt (did I mention how much I love this ride?) are all must rides.

PS: You should ride Tomohawk because it's awesome. That's all.

Haven't been to the park in seven years, what would be the best restaurant to eat at in the park?

The pizza place across the street you can get your hand stamped and walk across the street to get 5x the value of what youd spend in the park, in the park the best options are probably Panda Express, JBs across from Goliath, and Mr Six Cafe in Looney Toons

Thanks for the responses all. I'll most likely will go on Bizzaro given the responses, but will probably skip Goliath since I heard it is pretty bad now. Ditto skipping Mind Eraser; I really wish SFNE went with B&M for their full circuit invert as supposed to Vekoma's Hang-n-Bang but unless I'm wrong - and I'm probably am - the closest B&M invert is 4 hours away at SFGAdv. Or at least SFNE should get the new trains Vekoma offers that are supposedly more comfortable. In any case I'll skip it and Goliath.

I'll probably go on Flashback; at least it looks short. Batman, Thunderbolt, and Cyclone are all must-rides then from what I gathered here. Pandemonium and Gauntlet I'll ride as well since they look fun. As far as the flats go, I'll see what they're like at the park. I'm not a huge fan of the spinning rides since I have gotten sick on a few of them though I have not ridden any Frisbee type rides (like Tomahawk) so I might go on that. Then again, that sickness was from an Orbiter type ride, so if there are any of those I'll avoid it.

I'm skipping the slingshot type ride since it has an extra charge; plus it doesn't look too appealing to me.

One more question; should I carry cash or do the restaurants at the park take cards? I rarely carry cash on me and instead use my debit card but I have read there are ATMs.

^^I disagree i think Goliath still merits a ride. The better word to describe it is not rough but slow and vibratey. Sometimes the vibrating is more intense like at the more forceful parts. As long as you aren't in the front row the backwards spike will not be that scary, and it doesn't feel that high.

Mind eraser is a different kind of rough, where it feels like it's shaking you around at times like a ragdoll, which I find fun when I put my head forward away from the restraints on the rough parts. It's very intense and has a good layout. I would ride it just to try it out but if you think it's too rough you just lean forward far enough that your ears don't hit. People exaggerate though I'd say..

Honestly Vekoma SLCs aren't that bad if you know how to ride them. The key is to do it in the back while keeping your head back the whole ride. When I do this I really don't feel any pain on Mind Eraser. I do think new trains would dramatically change the ride experience though like what Great Nor Easter in Moreys Piers got.

Ride everything. Even Goliath and Mind Eraser. You never know what you will like, especially when enthusiasts typically give skewed responses. I've been on two Volares and I actually like them both.

Haven't been to the park in seven years, what would be the best restaurant to eat at in the park?

The pizza place across the street you can get your hand stamped and walk across the street to get 5x the value of what youd spend in the park, in the park the best options are probably Panda Express, JBs across from Goliath, and Mr Six Cafe in Looney Toons

Is Nicky's truly good? I have been there, but it was late at night and I was completely wasted, so I can't remember how it was. I have been told that it provides a ton of bang for your buck, however.

Hey I just saw on the SFNE website while me and my friends were buying tickets that Hurricane Harbor is closed tomorrow. I'm guessing that's not right but I wanted to know if any of you guys knew for sure. It was on the calendar where we were buying tickets so it may just be wrong.

*Edit* Nevermind it's probably just a glitch.

Hey I just saw on the SFNE website while me and my friends were buying tickets that Hurricane Harbor is closed tomorrow. I'm guessing that's not right but I wanted to know if any of you guys knew for sure. It was on the calendar where we were buying tickets so it may just be wrong.

*Edit* Nevermind it's probably just a glitch.

I called the park and they said it was open, so yeah, probably a glitch.

For 2 years now I've been saying this, (poor coasterbill I've put off like 4 times!) but I got the time and no longer need to try and coax others to go...so if anyone is willing to meet up at SFNE message me!

I think I decided I will crash into a wall if I blew another year without going to this park.