TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

^^^I suppose we don't know that for sure but if it is topper track they're going to do topper track with a whole new layout. I think Iron Horse is a reasonable assumption based on what Six Flags has done in the past.

The coaster already has a ton of topper track... after the first drop every section of the ride that is taken at any significant speed has topper track and it's really smoothed out the ride. Since they're marketing the closing of the ride the way they are I think the ride will be unrecognizable next year. That could mean topper track but since they've never dramatically changed a coaster layout with topper track before I think Iron Horse track is much more likely.

If they remove it, it would be taking the heart out of it.

Well I hate to break it to you but they did remove the original first drop... in 2001. The old track is still there... it can clearly be seen in this picture...

Courtesy of SFNE Online.

I would love to see them do what they did with Iron Rattler and restore the first drop to it's former glory.

Edited by coasterbill

Here are a few pics from yesterday, looked much different a month ago!

Again, there are "cut here" marks all over the ride so they are clearly not just tearing it all down. The station has also received and will be receiving new paint.

^^ While it's undeniable how awesome the original drop was, I'm with Cam in that the drop it currently has is still insane; and that drop in the backseat alone provides a kick@$$ amount of airtime, and I hope that effect can be kept or revamped in whatever happens to the ride next.

I've always liked Cyclone, even before the topper track and after the first drop neuter, and I'll be sad to see it go. I'm a sucker for rickety wooden coasters, and Cyclone had just the right amount of shake where it was not too painful but kept an aggressive pace (and I loved watching people freak out when the track that crosses the lift swayed). I will try to make it to the park on its last day, hope to run into some TPR members while I'm at it.

^That clearing is where the original cyclone entrance was correct?

I glad they are closing it in July instead of august. This gives them a head start. RMC has shown in the past they they get started right away. Medusa steel coaster closed on August 20th just about and opened in June. So if they can get started right away in July, it could minimize the possibility of the i-box conversion opening late in the 2015 season.

Have any of the RMC conversions been done to white coasters? I know that parks tend to use pressure-treated wood instead of painting these days, so I wonder if they would paint the new wood to match or leave it mismatched.

Have any of the RMC conversions been done to white coasters? I know that parks tend to use pressure-treated wood instead of painting these days, so I wonder if they would paint the new wood to match or leave it mismatched.

Cyclone at SFNE and Georgia Cyclone at SFOG have topper track. That's it for white coasters that I know of.

That does bring up a good point. If they are closing it this early, it should be open by late April. But then again, this is the oldest coaster RCM has ever worked with, they could be planning for complications and set backs that might be encountered.

Colossus at SFMM is a couple years older than the Riverside Cyclone ...

Another clue for RMC is that Cyclone is closing before Colossus, which makes sense given the harsher winter (and shorter construction season).

Cyclone is the oldest Six Flags woodie that is twisty. Thunderbolt, Great American Scream Machine and Screaming Eagle are older but not twisty and are in better shape than this one. Maybe Iron Boss and the racer at LaRonde will be next. I wonder if they could rework the Roars given that the original builder is still in business, at least a complete retrack if not full RMC conversion.

Alan Shilke told me there would be "2 next year." Guess this is it

I'm a little bummed to see this one go, but I'm sure RMC will make a monster outta it! It was a great ride when I last rode (2006). I fear the *snap* on the first drop may say goodbye. They will probably make it steeper, but steeper isn't always better; the snap is where it's at on this one! Bill Cobb did that intentionally on this (including the station drop, which had it's snap removed when the topper track was put in... which was probably OK in that case as the *snap* was immediately followed by the pull out which caused you to SLAM down hard into your seat) and Texas Cyclone. SFNE is going to have a new king of the hill!

Edited by GayCoasterGuy

This isn't that surprising if the iron horse is coming to SFNE considering even as a smaller Six Flags park they haven't received a "new" coaster since 2005 Pandemonium (excluding relocated GCG and Goliath) or really 2002 Dark Knight due to land constraints and the wetlands surrounding the park. It makes sense to build a new coaster that has potential to be very good here for those reasons, I'm excited to see what really is in store here for SFNE in 2015.

Gonna miss Cyclone. The 1 time I rode it I experienced some of the most unbelievable catapult air on the first drop I've ever had. Call me crazy but I prefer this to Thunderbolt. Also thought it was in the top half of coasters in this park. Might not be saying much though.

However with the likely RMC treatment coming, I'm sure this park will finally have a star compliment to Bizarro next year to really turn SFNE into a destination for enthusiasts. Watch this park because I think it's going to be on the rise.

If this is going to be a conversion, the thought of having this alongside Bizzaro makes it very tempting to visit SFNE again. Personally, I was never a Cobb fan. He was well known for incorporating a lot of "pausing" in his designs for anticipatory reasons. To me, these pauses simply caused erratic pacing. Traditional woodies are, by far, my favorite coaster types but with the advancements made even on the traditional level in the last 10 years makes me welcome these RMC conversions when done to the more outdated woodies of the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.