TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Count me in the category of people who think Cyclone is fine as it is. I almost never pass up the Cyclone when I visit the park, I think it has enough shake to it to constitute a personality. I don't find it painful at all. While the part that was topper-tracked was desperately needed, I really don't want the ride to become steel-coaster smooth. Call it nostalgia, call it masochistic, but I really hope that Cyclone doesn't get Iron Horse or completely topper-tracked until it absolutely needs it. Until then, I hope the park continues to take care of it.

Just my opinion. Of course if the ride becomes completely unrideable/unsafe, then RMC it by all means.

EDIT: I find it both interesting and funny how this thread has become more interested in the future of Cyclone than the new waterslides.

Count me in the category of people who think Cyclone is fine as it is. I almost never pass up the Cyclone when I visit the park, I think it has enough shake to it to constitute a personality. I don't find it painful at all. While the part that was topper-tracked was desperately needed, I really don't want the ride to become steel-coaster smooth. Call it nostalgia, call it masochistic, but I really hope that Cyclone doesn't get Iron Horse or completely topper-tracked until it absolutely needs it. Until then, I hope the park continues to take care of it.

Just my opinion. Of course if the ride becomes completely unrideable/unsafe, then RMC it by all means.

EDIT: I find it both interesting and funny how this thread has become more interested in the future of Cyclone than the new waterslides.

The ride isn't terrible from a roughness standpoint, but it has so much untapped potential. If topper track could allow them to restore the original first drop, I'm all for it.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a great day at the park yesterday and the place was dead which made it even better. I'll spare the trip report but I have a few pros and cons to mention...

Cons

The no re-ride policy: I think my biggest pet peeve is when parks don't allow you to re-ride a ride when nobody is waiting for your row and they need to send the next train anyway. Unless the ride is super-intense there is no reason for this except so the 18 year old running the ride can feel like an important authority figure. Yesterday we were denied re-rides on Bizarro, Thunderbolt and Batman when nobody was waiting for our row. The only ride that allowed us to re-ride was Tomohawk but I'll get to that crew later in the "pros" category. On Thunderbolt one woman told us we could re-ride but another guy gave us thing arrogant look like he was a bouncer at a night club and told us to get off the train (we were never rude and never spoke back, we always asked before trying to re-ride). That row went out empty. Then later on Bizarro we asked if we could re-ride and were told no, but the entire car behind us just stayed in their seats anyway and got to ride. Our row went out empty on the last train of the night. The thing that annoys me is that this happens every time we go to Six Flags New England and have the opportunity for re-rides but never happens to us at any other park including Great Adventure where we got to ride Nitro 3 times in a row without getting off just a few weeks ago.

I'm not trying to inconvenience anyone waiting in line or get to ride twice when other people can only ride once... but if most of the train is empty and nobody is in the station then this is a stupid rule.

Bizarro I guess it's a rule that if you have a ride named "Bizarro" it must have the worst operators of any ride in the park. The park was dead at night, but early in the day this ride had a 45 minute wait because they had consistent 5 minute dispatches. The ride itself was pretty good but a few of the people in our group who haven't ridden it since the transformation were very disappointed and said that it felt slower than it used to. I'm not sure if that's actually true or they're just spoiled by riding El Toro a few weeks ago. I was underwhelmed by our daytime rides but it seemed to be running a lot better at night.

Pros

Goliath: I know there has been a lot of negativity surrounding this ride but I absolutely love it. We were lucky enough to ride in the front last night because there was no line at all and wow is that ride awesome. Not only is it smooth, but the ride up both spikes is a little freaky. I haven't been scared of a rollercoaster in years but this one does freak me out a little when you're hanging on that backward spike. Boomerang or not, I love this ride (now please bulldoze flashback).

Oh, and this ride has a great crew. It's amazing how fast they send those trains out even though there are OSTR's and seat belts.

Water Rides We walked by Blizzard River yesterday and were shocked to see that it was open (it was probably 60 degrees at this point). It was too cold for us but people were riding it and I think it's great that they keep these open this late in the season. We did ride Splashwater falls since you don't get all that wet on it and it had no line. It was sort of fun but I miss the log flume.

Tomohawk This ride has the best crews in the park, hands down! Last night the woman in the operator booth was singing songs about Tomohawk and making crazy sound effects and getting the people on the ride to join in. This ride is great anyway but the great operators make it even better. Oh... and they actually let us re-ride before high-fiving everyone on the way out and thanking everyone (one-at-a-time) for riding.

Overall we had a lot of fun. There were a few things that were a little annoying but when you have great rides, great weather, no lines and you're with great people it's hard not to have a great day.

I guess the no reride policy helps them sell platinum flash passes.

On a side note, I had a hilarious experience on Nitro at Great Adventure, where an unfortunate Asian employee with a thick accent was assigned to the PA microphone at the end of the day. "Welcome to Nitwo! There are no wewides allowed. No wewides!"

Bizarro I guess it's a rule that if you have a ride named "Bizarro" it must have the worst operators of any ride in the park. The park was dead at night, but early in the day this ride had a 45 minute wait because they had consistent 5 minute dispatches. The ride itself was pretty good but a few of the people in our group who haven't ridden it since the transformation were very disappointed and said that it felt slower than it used to. I'm not sure if that's actually true or they're just spoiled by riding El Toro a few weeks ago. I was underwhelmed by our daytime rides but it seemed to be running a lot better at night.

Normally Bizarro has good dispatches, but for some reason, they only feel the need to put 2 attendants on the ride once they go back to weekend operations. 4 attendants is the way to go for Bizarro, and if they don't have 4 for October, the line will be outrageous. As for the re-ride thing, it sucks that they don't allow it, but they don't mind if you take the flash pass route when there's no line.

I've only gotten re-rides on Bizarro once in my life, and that was this spring break because the day was a washout, there was about 5 people on each train, and they were closing in a half hour. Painful to ride in the rain, but fun none the less.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/10/six_flags_new_england_proposes.html

Six Flags New England hopes to add a new water-featured ride to the attractions at its amusement park here to be called Bonzai Pipelines, a 65-foot tall waterslide complex featuring six drop hatch slides.

The ride will be part of the Hurricane Harbor section of the Six Flags amusement park here at 1623 Main St.

“Hurricane Harbor is the premier water park in New England and is a favorite among our guests,” John Winkler, president of Six Flags New England, said in a prepared statement. “The addition of Bonzai Pipelines to our incredible portfolio of water attractions solidifies our commitment to delivering world-class thrills in our water park as well as our theme park.”

The Planning Board is scheduled to take up site plans for the project during its meeting set for Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at the Agawam Public Library. In addition to getting site plan approval from the Planning Board, Six Flags will also have to get a special permit for the Board of Appeals because the attraction will be about 78 feet tall. Special permits are required for structures more than 45 feet in height.

After reaching the top of the six-story ride, guests will step into the state-of-the-art “DrenalineDrop” launching capsule where the floor drops out beneath them, sending them free-falling down the slide, twisting and turning before landing in a splash runout.

Riders will surf the 257-foot slide at up to 40 miles per hour.

The park has scheduled the ride to open in the spring.

Melissa Pinkerton, Six Flags New England's communications manager, said that the new ride is not the same type of ride that was involve in an accident in California recently.

The Associated Press reported Monday that a 19-year-old man was injured after pushing his way onto the Black Snake Summit waterslide at Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Los Angeles. The man launched himself head first onto the ride instead of feet first as riders are instructed. The man was hospitalized after taking a 60-foot fall, according to the wire service.

The new Agawam ride has been proposed for an area in the southeast corner of the park that is now a graveled parking area used by employees.

The project will involve eliminating some employee parking, according to a narrative of the venture on file in the Planning Department. Plans call for consolidating employee parking in a gravel parking lot in the southeastern part of the park, which is located at 1623 Main St.

The area for which the new ride is proposed is not near any wetlands and will therefore not requires approval from the Conservation Commission, according to the narrative.

Plans do not call for new screening or buffering along the edge of the project.

Has anyone purchased a 2013 season pass from SFNE yet? If so, is SFNE processing and distributing the 2013 passes at the park or are they handing out vouchers to be redeemed next season.

I'm not concerned about how SFNE treated this situation in past, only the present and future matter to me.

I believe if you go to the park before this season is over they'd give you the card, because it's good for the rest of this season as a bonus. I know a group of us are going to be (or at least planning on) processing them in a few weeks to use there, as well as at Great Adventure.

Has anyone purchased a 2013 season pass from SFNE yet? If so, is SFNE processing and distributing the 2013 passes at the park or are they handing out vouchers to be redeemed next season.

I'm not concerned about how SFNE treated this situation in past, only the present and future matter to me.

They give you the 2013 card -- I got mine last month. They don't have the coupon books yet, however, so you will need to visit the park next year to pick yours up.

They give you the 2013 card -- I got mine last month. They don't have the coupon books yet, however, so you will need to visit the park next year to pick yours up.

Thank you, I'll make sure to get my 2013 one of the next few weekends.

^^What offers do the coupon books typically contain? Can you use them at parks other than your 'home' park?

The coupon books have a variety of deals. There are a lot of 'Bring a Friend Free' or 'Bring a Friend For $19.99'. They also have coupons for games, like buy one get one, or $1 off. Then there's the food ones. They have $5 off of family meal deals, buy one get one 50% off meal baskets, $1 off popcorn, etc. I think the only coupon you can use at other parks besides your home park is the 'Bring a Friend to Any Six Flags Park For $X.XX'. I'm not sure how much that one costs, or if they even had it this year. Hope this was kind of helpful.

And just as a basic FYI that I'm sure most of you know. If you buy 4 or more, and get them processed by the end of the 2012 season, you get a free upgrade to the Gold Pass. And they also normally have Season Pass Processing Days the week before the park opens. If you can't get it processed this season, get it done then. This past April Break the processing lines were reaching 1 1/2 hrs, and that's with both processing locations open (Hall of Justice and Regular Processing Building).

• 2 weeks later...
Whatever happened to that train that Premier was building for Deja Vu? I just hadn't heard anything about it this past summer. I'm assuming it's a project dead in the water?

I thought that they were already at the park, and that they were just waiting for the off-season to start testing. I could be wrong, though.

Goliath - (9/24/12) Screamscape sources tell us that the new four-across train from Premier Rides for Goliath has finally arrived on site. The new train is said to look great and is said to be much lighter than the original Vekoma made train, which they hope will solve the most frequent problems that model ride had suffered between the coupling of the lift towers’s catch car and the heavier train. Don’t look for on-ride testing to start until the park closes for the season.

I really am curious how this will turn out, though I haven't seen pictures yet of the train or where on site it is. Still, it's assuring to know that the new trains is happening.

EDIT: Simaticable reported this two pages ago. Thanks dude

Hey guys, me and my family may be going to SFNE next weekend and we wanted to know how busy it will be. I know it gets more crowded during FF but we just want to know if its worth going. (We will be going on Sunday)

The park should be decently crowded from opening until 5. Most rides will have decent lines, but it's not unmanageable. Bizarro, Batman, and Goliath will all be around 30-45 minutes. However, after 5 the park gets far more crowded and lines could approach 1.5-2 hours if the weather is nice.

Question for SFNE regulars - assuming you have a Flash pass, what's a decent amount of time to spend in the park to cover the rides, maybe a couple of rides on the big coasters? Planning my trip next year - I'm looking at a 3.5 hour drive after leaving the park so won't be able to stay until close but will be there at opening.